Cleaning make-up tools?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you clean your make-up tools (make-up brushes etc...). If so what types of cleansing solution do you use? I did a board search and couldn't find anything. I also looked at reviews to see if there was anything regarding a tool cleanser.

I also want to thank everyone again for the warm welcome. :icon_love

Regards,

Annia

PS I will be going to a make up artist some time next week. Any suggestions on what kinds of questions I should be asking or what I should be telling the artist? Thanks again!

While I'm in the middle of doing a makeup and need to change colors with a certain brush, I'll use MAC's brush cleanser. It cleans, disinfects & dries fast. And it doesn't have much of a fragrance (unlike some cleansers I've tried in the past).

For deep cleaning of my brushes every week or so, I'll use a mild baby shampoo at night and leave them all lying flat on my bathroom counter until morning.

Oh quick response! I found the brush cleanser at MAC's website. I am going to see if I can find it locally.

As for going to the artist I want to find out what type of colors would suite me best and how to apply and what type of tricks I can do for my eyes. Thanks for helping me out. I don't want to be unhappy with the results so I have determined to voice my concerns. Also how much does it usually cost? and should I tip? I have never gone to an artist.

Regards,

Annia

I use MAC brush cleaner for deep cleanings, and Brush-Off for quick in-between cleanings to wipe off the color
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine It usually depends by store how much (and if) you pay. At my counter, you have to buy $40 worth of merchandise to get a makeover. I never thought about tipping them. Even if I did, I doubt that they would be allowed to keep it. But Joyeuux would know better since she is a MAC ma. At a MAC counter, you just have to buy a minimum of $40 worth of product if you book an appointment. At a MAC freestanding store, there is usually an artist's fee as well as a purchase required. I never expect tips but occasionally generous clients will offer them.

If there is enough staff to cover the counter, yea, we'll book walk-up appointments! Still a $40 minimum purchase though.
smile.gif

Trisha how often do I have to clean them? I prefer a baby shampoo too!

Originally Posted by Trisha MAC Brush Cleanser is OK in the short term, but if you used it indefinitely, your brushes would eventually dry out.
As Joy said, its great for a quick fix, like if you need the same brush again.

Many people use the MAC cleanser wrong too, you are mean to use 1 part brush cleaner to 4 parts water.

I'd stick with mild/baby shampoo, some of my brushes are nearly 3 years old, and are still as good as new.

I use baby shampoo too!

I never knew that the MAC cleaner was suppose to be mixed with water.

Originally Posted by Bhav I use baby shampoo too!
I never knew that the MAC cleaner was suppose to be mixed with water.

Me too...thanks for the tip. It will certainly save me money
smile.gif

Another baby shampoo lover here.. I wash my fave brushes every 2nd. I wipe my e/s brushes every day & wash them once a week.

for cleaning after i use my brushes i use mac's brush cleaner. once a week i clean them with johnson and johnson baby shampoo and let them air dry on the side of the sink overnight.
icon_biggrin.gif

I use baby shampoo as well to wash my brushes. I even use a little bit of conditioner afterwards to keep the bristles soft. Japonesque's parian Spirit is good to clean brushes as well, it smell like oranges.

Originally Posted by kellianne76 I use baby shampoo as well to wash my brushes. I even use a little bit of conditioner afterwards to keep the bristles soft. Japonesque's parian Spirit is good to clean brushes as well, it smell like oranges. Kelli, where did u get ur Parian Spirit? The only online place I found this at is adiscountbeauty.com. Did u get it somewhere else? I really want to get this product.

Originally Posted by iloveparis Kelli, where did u get ur Parian Spirit? The only online place I found this at is adiscountbeauty.com. Did u get it somewhere else? I really want to get this product. Emmy,I got mine at Ulta. If you want you can call Japonesque's number at 1-800-955-6662. I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by kellianne76 Emmy,I got mine at Ulta. If you want you can call Japonesque's number at 1-800-955-6662. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the number, Kelli. I don't know why I didn't think of getting it from them directly
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back