Clothing ideas!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I just started my further schooling - 6th form. The first few weeks will be fine deciding what to wear to school, but when it gets to the end of September I'm stuck. I can't wear any sort of denim to school, neither can I wear trainers or combats. If anybody has any ideas for what I could wear, or how to combine the essentials I already have that would be great =D

well, like black slacks, khakis, trouser pants. the gap has some cute lookig khaki looking trousers.

sweaters. you can wear a buttoned down collared shirt under them. if they're v-neck, you can also wear like a lace trimmed cami so the lace part shows underneath.

you can get basics and layer them.

if you get basics, you can mix and match them, dress them up, dress them down.

are there any other looks you want or certain types of pieces?

Originally Posted by Liz well, like black slacks, khakis, trouser pants. the gap has some cute lookig khaki looking trousers.
sweaters. you can wear a buttoned down collared shirt under them. if they're v-neck, you can also wear like a lace trimmed cami so the lace part shows underneath.

That was pretty much what I was looking for, just like different ways to wear tops and such =D The v-neck top and cami idea sound great, thanks :icon_love

i think these stores are nice and has some dressed up and casual stuff if you them in the UK:

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/home.do

www.thegap.com (has the trouser khakis. has them with a pinstripe to them
smile.gif
)

www.oldnavy.com (for basic tops)

Double V-Neck sweaters??? Can you wear those? I've got them in nearly every colour from Old Navy and Gap. Classic, but trendy!

Originally Posted by Liz well, like black slacks, khakis, trouser pants. the gap has some cute lookig khaki looking trousers.

Good suggestions, Liz! I'll add cardigan sweaters, so cute with a cami under it. Blazers are also nice and look professional. Oh, and polos! Shoes, you can do flats, mary janes, or loafers. Heels are also nice if you like wearing them! I love the look of heels, but I don't think I could handle wearing them to school, too many steep staircases
icon_cheesygrin.gif
. Also, a plus with basics is, as Liz said, that you can dress them up or down. Adding jewelry, like dangly fancy earrings or big necklaces, dresses up plain blouses and shirts.

what about a skirt, blouse, v-neck knit and ballet slippers? it works for me! Boots work after mid-october - and don't forget tights - any shade will do - try to be a bit interesting with colour choice if the rest of the outfit is a little bland (I'd go for white blouse, black v-neck and slippers and tan skirt with bottle green or berry tights!) - A trench coat was a good investment too - I got my black leather a few yrs ago and have worn it since with most of my wardrobe all winter through - a parka for those 'I'm feeling scummy' days and a tweed crombie also essentials in my sixth form wardrobe.

I always think the best way to dress up an outfit is with color! Try buying tops in lots of fun colors, and sometimes you can even mix them up a little -- one color of cami underneath a different colored sweater, or a fun colored blazer over any shirt, for example. And layering in the same or similar colors is always a classic look, as is wearing neutrals underneath. (Actually, layering in general is usually a more put-together look than wearing a single piece!) But I get very bored wearing all neutrals so I almost have a colored shirt, though I usually wear jeans or neutral slacks.

Another way to add color to your wardrobe is through accessories, like colored jewelry or a purse! Wearing different shoes, purses, and jewelry can give you a whole new outfit!

Also, if you can't wear denim, I went to the mall last week and noticed that the Junior's sections have lots of dress pants! All sorts of black, gray, and yummy chocolate brown (lol) slacks that would look great with fitted sweaters, button-down shirts, boots, etc! I wish they had that much selection this summer when I was shopping for clothes for work -- apparently Fall is the time to shop for more professional clothes!
biggrin.gif

Also, just out of curiosity, how old are students in the sixth form? I'm not familiar with the UK's school system!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back