Clueless about Eyeshadow Brushes!

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
I was thinking about buying some nice eye shadow brushes, but I have absolutely no idea what to buy or what the different kinds of brushes are used for!
(I looked around online and there are so many options!) Right now I usually just wear cream shadow applied with a foam applicator, and when I wear powder shadow I use a very cheap brush from Wal-Mart but it just seems to get the shadow all over my face!

I don't want to spend much money, so what are some more affordable brands? What types of brushes should I look for and how do I use them? Any advice would be appreciated!


 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by girl_geek I was thinking about buying some nice eye shadow brushes, but I have absolutely no idea what to buy or what the different kinds of brushes are used for!
(I looked around online and there are so many options!) Right now I usually just wear cream shadow applied with a foam applicator, and when I wear powder shadow I use a very cheap brush from Wal-Mart but it just seems to get the shadow all over my face!
I don't want to spend much money, so what are some more affordable brands? What types of brushes should I look for and how do I use them? Any advice would be appreciated!


I like Studio Basics brushes (they sell them at Ulta and most stores) and I also like the ones I got from Michael's craft store... similar to more expensive ones, yet VERY Cheap! I don't have any high end brushes, but these seem to do the job

 
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
1,631
Reaction score
0
I'm a huge advocate of spending $$$ on brushes (along w/skin care). However, if you want to invest in a decent pair, buy the Sephora brand. Years ago, someone told me that they're manufactured by the same company who produces MAC brushes.

I like these:







 
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
1
I totally 2nd what Gail said! Invest in a quality set of brushes. They'll last you a lifetime. Of the many sets that I own, one is by Sephora (travel set). I must admit, that these brushes are not bad at all. They're economically priced (for the most part) and they get the job done. That might be a great brand to look into.

Originally Posted by keaLoha I'm a huge advocate of spending $$$ on brushes (along w/skin care). However, if you want to invest in a decent pair, buy the Sephora brand. Years ago, someone told me that they're manufactured by the same company who produces MAC brushes.
I like these:







 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
So what makes one brush better than another? Mine dont shed, but are there different things about high end brushes that are better?
 

Liz

Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
9,784
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by keaLoha I'm a huge advocate of spending $$$ on brushes (along w/skin care). However, if you want to invest in a decent pair, buy the Sephora brand. Years ago, someone told me that they're manufactured by the same company who produces MAC brushes.
I like these:







I like sephora brushes. they're cheaper than mac and get the job done pretty well.
-i haven't tried the first one on the left. i think it's too wide for me.

-the one next to it, i have that in mac, it's a blending brush. i usually use that to do the outer v and crease

-i want to get that angled one, just to have it

-i like the domed one. i use it when i line my lower lash line and i want to blend it/soften the line

-i've never used the flat angled one

-the flat one comes in different sizes. i have a small size that i use when i have to pack on the shadow.

http://www.maccosmetics.com/template...CT_ID=PROD1527

I use that mac brush to blend shadows also. i like that better than the previous one because the bristles are shorter/closer together so it gives a more defined shading area.

http://www.maccosmetics.com/template...CT_ID=PROD1377

i use that brush to apply shadow to the lid.

Hope that helps!

 
Joined
Mar 5, 2005
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
1
I personally havent had much luck with any of the low-end brushes that I've tried. I've tried many brands, even a generic set from Target thinking that 'a brush, is a brush'. For me, that hasn't proven to be true. I've noticed a difference in color deposit; ability to blend; and of course, softness of the hairs. I'm sure there are some low end brushes that are nice, but I was wasting my money trying to find the nice ones. I decided to bite the bullet and buy some nice sets.

Secondly, and I'll admit this is petty, but.... I AM A HIGH-END SNOB. OK, I admitted it.
I'm still a good person.


Originally Posted by NYAngel98 So what makes one brush better than another? Mine dont shed, but are there different things about high end brushes that are better?
 
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
28,176
Reaction score
3
I would suggest that you try Sonia Dashuk brushes. They sell them at Target and they are good quality brushes (for their price). My sister has a set and she likes them.



This set here is $25.



These are the deluxe travel set and they are $16.

 
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
22,240
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Mariposa I would suggest that you try Sonia Dashuk brushes. They sell them at Target and they are good quality brushes (for their price). My sister has a set and she likes them.


This set here is $25.

i have that, along with her other brushes and i LOVE them!!! i really recommend sonia's!
 

Liz

Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
9,784
Reaction score
2
if you're just starting out with mu brushes, you just need a blending brush, a flat "fluff" brush like the one from MAC, and like a liner. and once you get used to using them, you can figure out what other brushes you like.

can you believe that 3 years ago, i bought a mac brush set that had 4 brushes for $40!?!!

 
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
1,631
Reaction score
0
Janelle, once you try high-end brushes, you'll wonder what you've been doing all along. There's a true difference in the way it feels & applies color to your face.

I whole-heartedly agree what Tracey said about the ability to deposit color. I noticed that it manages to pick up color better & require less effort when applying. The bristles are generally made from sable or blue squirrel--for the most part no animals are harmed; to my knowledge only brushed/combed to acquire the hair--which is much better when it comes to applying pressed powders, bronzers, blushes & e/s.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Sonia Kashuk's stuff is great for an inexpensive line, but it still doesn't apply color like some of my Trish McEvoy or Kevyn Aucoin brushes. I found that TM & KA have cornered the market on brushes & it makes applying makeup SOOOOO much more enjoyable.

 
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
367
Reaction score
0
I'm one of those people that doesn't like to spend money on stuff that you can't see or smell (brushes, skin care...) I know that's probably bad!

Like others have said, the Sonia Kashuk ones are good and I've also found good ones at ULTA.

Also, check at the makeup counters. I bought a bunch of stuff at Lancome a while back and they didn't have a deal going on so the person behind the coutner ended up giving me a set of brushes (among other things) and I like the brushes a lot!

 
Joined
May 30, 2004
Messages
394
Reaction score
0
I love Sonia's and Sephora's brushes. Those are good but yes invest in high quality.

 
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
1,934
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by keaLoha Janelle, once you try high-end brushes, you'll wonder what you've been doing all along. There's a true difference in the way it feels & applies color to your face.
I whole-heartedly agree what Tracey said about the ability to deposit color. I noticed that it manages to pick up color better & require less effort when applying. The bristles are generally made from sable or blue squirrel--for the most part no animals are harmed; to my knowledge only brushed/combed to acquire the hair--which is much better when it comes to applying pressed powders, bronzers, blushes & e/s.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Sonia Kashuk's stuff is great for an inexpensive line, but it still doesn't apply color like some of my Trish McEvoy or Kevyn Aucoin brushes. I found that TM & KA have cornered the market on brushes & it makes applying makeup SOOOOO much more enjoyable.

Yup, so true! High end brushes are initially expensive, but if you clean them regularly & take good care of them... they'll last AGES! I agree with what everyone else has said about higher end brushes --- they pick up color better, are much softer against your skin, don't shed their bristles nearly as much. Saves you money in the long run, because you won't have to keep buying replacements. I'd start with Sephora, as they're a good solid line. Haven't tried Sonia Kashuk, but I've heard rave reviews.
But me, I'm a Japonesque and MAC brush whore.


 
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Messages
2,230
Reaction score
0
I like the Sonia Kashuk and Sephora brushes I own - I'd eventually like to replace all my brushes with high-end ones, but until I'm working again and have money to spare, I'd rather buy color cosmetics.
Anywho, I also really like Essence of Beauty brushes at CVS. I've tried the smudgers and crease brush, and I really like them. HTHS!

 

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
902
Reaction score
3
Location
Bay Area, California
Yes, I do like the Kashuk brushes too, I even have really good ones from Revlon and Maybelline that are AGES old, but they are great.. not sure if they even sell brushes anymore! If you want high-end good stuff, I really like Chanel, MAC and the Benefit crease brush.

 
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
22,240
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Scarlette Yes, I do like the Kashuk brushes too, I even have really good ones from Revlon and Maybelline that are AGES old, but they are great.. not sure if they even sell brushes anymore! If you want high-end good stuff, I really like Chanel, MAC and the Benefit crease brush. i have one maybelline brush. it's the shadow brush. it works SO UNBELIEVABLY WELL. do you have that one?
 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
I've got a Nat Robbins e/s brush that I've had for YEARS... and It's great... will have to go back to that drugstore & see if they have other kinds too in that brand.
 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Wow, thanks for all the advice about different brands everyone!

Maybe my next question should be, if I'm just starting out, what types of brushes do you feel are the most essential? I certainly don't want to spend the money on a dozen brushes right now, but I'd like to get 2 or 3 to get started!
How do you use the different shapes of brushes? (For example, how would you use the brushes pictured in KeaLoha's first post?) Or you could tell me what kinds of brushes you use for various tasks. Thanks!

 

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
902
Reaction score
3
Location
Bay Area, California
Yeah , it IS the shadow brush! I've had it a very long time, but it's the best! I don't know why.. but it's a damn good brush that I've had for like 9 years. No shedding and it still looks brand new after I wash it.

 

Latest posts

Top