Cold Sores / Fever Blisters

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
covering up a cold sore

There are medications for cold sores and fever blisters.If you dont have any onhand ,take a asprin and apply it ,slightly dampened,to the sore.hold it there for at least three min.

Keep the sore and its surronding are clean and dry to help fight bacteria.

Eat a bland diet,avoiding chocolate,nut ,or gelatin based products.theses foods may irrate the sore and cause further infection.

hope this helps
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Amethyst I usually only get these if I am sick or if I go out in the sun and don't use a high SPF on my lips. Well this weekend, I came down with two doozies on my lips and they burn, sting and are swollen. I look like I was in a boxing match and I look like I overdosed on lip plump injections.
icon_eek.gif

Now, this may sound far fetched but I was wondering - - I ate buffalo wings a few days ago that were way too spicy and my lips were burning afterwards. I know because I had indigestion afterwards. Do you think that could have caused this breakout also? Meanwhile, does anyone have any remedies for this? I am using acyclovir topical cream but it doesn't really work as well as it used to.
icon_cry.gif
icon_sad.gif

hi. i feel 4 you. the only thing that has ever helped me was taking acylovir tablets but you need a prescription. the tabs also keep them away for quite a while.good luck

Originally Posted by jewels Arbonne has a few products that a friend of mine swears by. She gets a these awful things when she just thinks about them. The products are Huerbal lip ointment which she applies immediately when she has one coming on, and the other is Lip Service, which is a pill that she takes everyday. These two products are inexpensive and they work!! She has the pills shipped to her automatically every month and then orders the ointment when needed.
Jewels

www.shiningjewels.myarbonne.com

[email protected]

I too use Arbonne's Lip Service and ointment. I'm just getting rid of a nasty cold sore. I think it was because of stress. I was out of my Arbonne ointment so I used Abreva, and it worked good. I stopped taking my Lip service (I was out) vitamins and of course got a cold sore. I always start taking lysine vitamins in summer because thats when I get cold sores the most. Doctors can prescribe ointments that work great.

Since i've started using Herb-P Cold Sore Therapy lip balm from Plantlife, i've stopped having cold sores period. I used to get them alot but this stuff is amazing. I put it on every night before I go to bed and wear it under my lipstick during the day. It's very moisterizing and keeps my lips looking very healthy. You can buy it for around 3 bucks at a local health food store or online.

Originally Posted by Arielle I still don´t know what triggers the outbreaks for me personally. I rarely ever get sick (and when I am, there are still no blisters!), and I don´t get them more often in summer (due to sun exposure). and I can´t say I´ve noticed I get them more often when I have lots of stress. I used to get them a lot as a child but now that I'm older I only usually get them a couple times a year. Mostly now in the spring...allergy season and finals at school. Then maybe in the winter when my immune system is weak from a cold.

hm, this is interesting to me. Over this past summer, I had a strange bump on my upper lip for about a month and a half. I dont know what the hell it was and sometimes it hurt and sometimes it didnt. I used some kind of cold sore creme on it but it didnt do much, and also, it didnt scab like most cold sores/fever blisters etc. It went away eventually, but i still dont know what it was, and im hoping it never returns. It def wasnt a pimple or something like that though. do any of you have any ideas?

Hi Amethyst, you can now buy little pen like laser's to treat cold sores etc. It uses low level laser therapy (light) to help them heal. You can buy them on ebay but they are quite pricey.If its something that recurs then the laser would be an investment and definaltey worth it.

Hi

I get them too and they suck big time! Zovirax blitzes them within 24 hours if you can get it early enough, if not it speeds up healing time. other than that get as much vit c in your diet as you can as a preventative measure and use tea tree oil to stop a secondary infection occurring.

HTH

I get them too. I find that I get them when I am dehydrated and stumble across another trigger like the ones mentioned, especially salty or spicy food. I have tried lots of things, Abreeva worked really well but it is starting to poop out on me. I found this stuff called Releev at the drugstore. It's been working well too. The key is to catch them early. After you have had a few you know what that "bump" means. If I even think I might be getting one I RUN to my releev or abreeva. Catching them before they erupt has been the key.

I think the spicy wings did cause you to have a coldsore. I've had similar things happen with spicy food, then lips burning afterwards, also when I stayed out the whole night dancing, I kept licking my lips the whole night because they were dry and I wore no chopstick or anything, my lips became all red, then the next day BOOM, coldsore.

Originally Posted by pinkie55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif hm, this is interesting to me. Over this past summer, I had a strange bump on my upper lip for about a month and a half. I dont know what the hell it was and sometimes it hurt and sometimes it didnt. I used some kind of cold sore creme on it but it didnt do much, and also, it didnt scab like most cold sores/fever blisters etc. It went away eventually, but i still dont know what it was, and im hoping it never returns. It def wasnt a pimple or something like that though. do any of you have any ideas? I HIGHTLY doubt that's a coldsore, coldsores don't last that long.

Abreva helps me. Some sunscreens trigger mine. Other triggers are some spicy foods, stress, acne meds. I had a round of tricyclovir that kept them away for quite sometime. (Too bad it wasn't a complete cure.)

Hmm.. that's weird.. I eat extremely spicy food everyday(i am soo korean) but my cold sore doesnt break out..

but when i am really really tired like flying 24 hours, it comes out..

the bad news is once you have the viruse, you will have it until you die!!

the viruse lives in your immun system forever. THere is no cure for cold sore!!

I use over the counter med. but when i have the nasty cold sore, my lips get really dry, so i use Aquaphor from Eucerin. this product is best for cracked lips!!

Oh and the best think to prevent the nasty cold sore, when you have the tingling sensasion on your lips, put ice on it... it will stop the cold sore getting bigger, and it wont last long..

Originally Posted by Liz /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't remember if I've ever had a cold sore or a fever blister. alli know of to help them is Carmex. carmex is great!

Hi, :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I hope you are better by now but for future references. I suffer with this stupid cold sore once in a while too.. and it sucks. Anyhow, I went to the doctor last year and they gave me "valtrex" and that one helps like a miracle. Just take one when you feel like its coming out (supposed to take it for three days). it will usually dry out super quick. Even if it is already out, it will dry out within couple of days.. !! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and there are few other counter ointments to apply if it is not so big. hope it helps.

Latest posts

Back