Colorado Couple Escapes Shooting

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A young couple who'd recently moved from New Mexico and were attending the Aurora, Colo., midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" with their children said they had planned to sit in the front row by the exit in which a gunman entered and allegedly killed at least 12 people. [Related: Full coverage of the Aurora shooting] Jamie Rohrs, 25, said that before the movie started, he and his fiancee, Patricia Legarreta, also 25, had opted for seats in the second-floor balcony. Rohrs held their 4-month-old son, Ethan, while Legarreta sat next to her 4-year-old daughter, Azeria, who was asleep with her head in her mother's lap. "Where the gunman came in, we were going to sit right there," Rohrs told ABC News today. "God was definitely with us and watching over us. I just thank God we sat where we did and showed up late." Fifteen minutes into the movie, Legarreta said, someone walked into the theater from the exit and threw something. Police now allege that James Holmes, 24, burst into the movie house and started shooting patrons, killing at least 12 and injuring at least 50. [slideshow: Mass shooting at Colorado movie theater] Legarreta said that after seeing smoke and then hearing gunshots, she heard Rohrs yell for her to get on the ground. "I threw my daughter on the floor," she said. "I just remember thinking my fiance has my son." Legarreta said she was wounded in her leg as she stood to move between her daughter and the gun shots. "It was headed toward my daughter," she said through tears today. "Had I not moved her -- I just moved her in front of me. ... I don't know what would happened to her." Legarreta said she had shrapnel in her leg from the upper thigh to the ankle. While she was on the floor, she said, she could see her 4-month-old baby on the ground near the stairs. Legarreta said she did not know the whereabouts of Rohrs. "At that point, I reached out and I grabbed him and pulled him in to me," she said. "I didn't even check my leg until we were out in the parking lot." Rohrs, who had Ethan, said he jumped over the seat with the baby in his arms. He said he considered lying on the ground and playing dead but feared for his son's life. "I'm trying to keep him low. ... And he's crying," Rohrs said. "People are running all over. I'm tripping and falling. I don't know if I laid him down or sat him down. I'm wondering maybe there's more of them. [i'm thinking] 'He's crying and they're going to come get me.' I look up to see if I can run. I'm ducking, dodging, turning left, turning right. ... Every time you hear a gun shot, it's like 'Oh, I'm dead.'" "I'm just disoriented after I put him down," Rohrs said. "I'm just waiting for me to hit the ground and fall down dead. You could see the gunfire and people are dropping." He said he wondered where Ethan was but realized he could not go back to get him. Rohrs finally jumped over the balcony and ended up outside. "It just felt like the worst thing ever because my son's still in there," he told ABC News. "My girlfriend is still in there. I'm out here. Who leaves their child there?" He said Legarreta called him from another phone and he drove back to the theater. They were eventually taken to the hospital and released. [slideshow: Suspect's apartment booby trapped] In an interview with ABC News, Legaretta said she just ran as fast as she could with the baby and her daughter when the gunshots stopped. "[i just said] 'I'm not going to die in here. Me and my kids are not going to die in this building,'" she said. "I'm just happy that we got our kids out. It was so hard sitting in the hospital. ... Thinking of all the people that we saw. Hoping and praying that they got out." Rohrs said the two took their children to the show because they figured they'd sleep through it. "We just moved here from New Mexico," he said. "We have to go out. We have to do things. You don't think you're going to get shot. You're just living your life." http://news.yahoo.com/couple-colo-theater-shooting-escape-baby-toddler-tow-162024554--abc-news-topstories.html Am I reading this right?!?! Did this coward of a man leave his whole family behind just to save his own life?? Drop his baby so his cries wouldn't draw the shooter's attention?! Drive away from the scene to pick up his family afterwards?! And what kind of parents take children to a midnight viewing & on top of that one so violent?!

WOW....That man should be absolutely ashamed of himself. I read another article about a teenager who was running out with his family and saw a lady with her 2 kids who was having a hard time getting out cause she had been shot. He ran back in and helped get them all out. Now THAT is a real man

These random shootings are just so ridiculous. You can't go anywhere anymore. Jeez...

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These random shootings are just so ridiculous. You can't go anywhere anymore. Jeez...
You can go where ever you want, just beware all the pervs and psychos! WTF is wrong with people these days? Lordy, there is a serious lapse of judgement and morals or something going around..poor babies...poor people!

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, Toronto is in the middle of a retalitory gang war right now. Unfortunately with targeted and random shootings, bystanders get hit. The same can be said about the civil war in Syria right now too.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what kind of parents take children to a midnight viewing & on top of that one so violent?!
I have read so many judgmental comments, criticizing these parents for taking them to see movies at midnight or even R rated movies. Not that I have but if I decided to take my 4 yr old to a movie at midnight am I so wrong for doing that? These ridiculous shooting sprees can happen anywhere/anytime! During the day at an Ice Age screening too. I find it very upsetting that people are being so critical of these parents when there should be compassion. 

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have read so many judgmental comments, criticizing these parents for taking them to see movies at midnight or even R rated movies. Not that I have but if I decided to take my 4 yr old to a movie at midnight am I so wrong for doing that? These ridiculous shooting sprees can happen anywhere/anytime! During the day at an Ice Age screening too. I find it very upsetting that people are being so critical of these parents when there should be compassion. 
My issue has nothing to do with the shootings occuring and the parents happening to be there at the time with their children. That sadly could happen in a children's playground. My issue is what kind of a parent takes such small children to view a rated R movie that is loud, violent, potentially has cursing and other situations too scary for underage children but hope that they sleep through it just so that the parents can enjoy themselves. That's selfish imo. I wouldn't drag my sleepy child so that I could watch a movie at midnight despite it's content. It wouldn't make a difference to me if they took the children at 3pm in the afternoon, it's not a movie appropriate for children.

There is absolutely no blame on the 25 year old parent who lost their 6 year old child in the shooting.  Despite taking her child there, which I wouldn't had done, the blame lies in the shooter, not the parent. I do know that that parent will however always blame herself and for her I do have compassion. It was never her fault to begin with and I hope that's a pain I never have to go through.

Back