Concealer and foundation color

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have used and tried a number of product lines ranging from Lancome to Bobbi Brown to drugstore brands to private label stuff. Is there a line that has an under eye concealer that is the same shade as the specific foundation that you've chosen. For example, this week, I am wearing Lancome foundation in Buff 2, Teint Idole. My concealer choices (and this is pretty consistent with every cosmetic line I have seen) are limited basically to "light this or that", "medium this or that", "dark this or that" etc. My concealer always seems to contrast with the foundation leaving me looking either too dark under the eye, too cakey or too pale. I would like to find a line for example if I use foundation "gingerbread man warm no. 2" that offers a concealer in "gingerbread man warm no. 2." Do you all know of any? This a.m. there was such a contrast I just took the actual foundation and applied it under my eyes but I noticed that it looks a little dry and crusty. Suggestions?

Originally Posted by southerngal Suggestions? I don't know of any brands off the top of my head that have exactly the same shades for foundation and concealer. However, Stila have about 3 different ways of describing their foundation colours and some of the concealer colour shades match up with those. I usually use a concealer lighter than my skin to on my under eye area, but it would still be nice to have one the same shade as my skin for covering up spots.
I know you've said that you've tried Bobbi Brown, but I've checked and their foundations and concealers are the same colour and have the same colour descriptions. Depending upon how much coverage you need you might be able to get away with a foundation stick to cover up your dark circles.

Bobbi Brown is one of the concealers I've tried and although the name is somewhat similar to the foundation, there is still considerable contrast. On top of that, and this truly mystified me, the Bobbi Brown line uses a powder formula on top of two under eye concealer shades (first pink and then a more neutral tone on top) and as my mom said "oh my gosh you look 80 years old". It does nothing more than dry out the under eye area and enhance lines and wrinkles after all three layers have been applied. It also makes dark circles look even worse because it is so layered and dry. I am returning it to the Bobbi Brown counter this weekend. The last thing I need is to emphasize my wrinkles. I will say that I purchased some Maybelline under eye concealer called Instant Age Rewind that is decent. I think I spent $6. I like the texture but again, it doesn't blend well with my foundation.

Originally Posted by Lealabell I don't know of any brands off the top of my head that have exactly the same shades for foundation and concealer. However, Stila have about 3 different ways of describing their foundation colours and some of the concealer colour shades match up with those. I usually use a concealer lighter than my skin to on my under eye area, but it would still be nice to have one the same shade as my skin for covering up spots.
I know you've said that you've tried Bobbi Brown, but I've checked and their foundations and concealers are the same colour and have the same colour descriptions. Depending upon how much coverage you need you might be able to get away with a foundation stick to cover up your dark circles.

The best under eye concealer I've found is Dior Skinflash. When my YSL TE runs out I'm going to replace it with this, it conceals and lightens at the same time. My mum loves it.

hm, i thought of bobbi brown, too.

i NEED a concealer for my dark circles and i've never really had that problem at all and my concealer and foundation aren't from the same brand.

do you wanna take pictures and show us, so maybe we can advise you a little better? i really don't know what to tell you because it's never happened to me and like i said, i need concealer desperately.

sorry i couldn't be anymore of a help
icon_redface.gif

ladies, you migh want to try prescriptives camouflage kit. it comes in 7 levels (from light to dark) and each kit contains two shades of concealer that can be blended to make the perfect shade to match any area of the face. it is currently my hg concealer. i also use prescriptives custom blend foundation and the base they use is level 5. the concealer kit is also a level 5. hope this info helps.

Originally Posted by monniej ladies, you migh want to try prescriptives camouflage kit. it comes in 7 levels (from light to dark) and each kit contains two shades of concealer that can be blended to make the perfect shade to match any area of the face. it is currently my hg concealer. i also use prescriptives custom blend foundation and the base they use is level 5. the concealer kit is also a level 5. hope this info helps. i'm getting the camouflage kit in a swap right now!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Lealabell The best under eye concealer I've found is Dior Skinflash. When my YSL TE runs out I'm going to replace it with this, it conceals and lightens at the same time. My mum loves it. I want to try Dior's Skinflash but I have dark circles under my eyes and I'm afraid that it will not cover them!!Is it worth trying??

i'm not sure since i don't use concealer anymore (under eye wrinkles that crease the concealer!!
icon_cry.gif
)

but i know you're supposed to use a lighter shade for under eye concealer to make you look more awake or something. try using your normal concealer and then using something like ysl touche eclat where it reflects light. maybe if you use a concealer that is the same color as your foundation and have the lighter ysl te, it will make it look different. i think some mac muas use concealer in different color tones. like if you're a nc in the foundation, they might use the nw concealer.

I never use the exact same color under the eyes as the foundation...but if you're having that much of a hard time getting it to match, try mixing a little of your foundation with your favorite concealer and blend, blend, blend!

I tried that and you're right, adding the foundation color to the concealer did work. I was always afraid that the foundation would dry the undereye area because I use oil free makeup, but it didn't seem to. I also tried this concealer made by Maybelline called ageless something or other and seems to hold moisture better than the Bobbi Brown and Lancome. I applied some of the Lancome foundation over it and it blended very well.

Originally Posted by envymi I never use the exact same color under the eyes as the foundation...but if you're having that much of a hard time getting it to match, try mixing a little of your foundation with your favorite concealer and blend, blend, blend!

Latest posts

Back