Cosmetics & Cancer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Reaction score
I've been doing research on what cosmetics cause cancer. I found a website CANCER RISK COSMETICS a few months ago that rates NARS cosmetics as one of the most dangerous cosmetics to use. Here is a list of ingredients that you should watch out for:

Carcinogenic Hazards of Mainstream Industry Personal Care and Cosmetics Products

*Product Ingredients and Contaminants with Evidence of Carcinogenicity

HIDDEN CARCINOGENS

Contaminants

ORGANOCHLORINE PESTICIDES: in, LANOLIN

ARSENIC, LEAD, BLUE 1, GREEN 3: in, COAL TAR DYES

DIOXANE: in, PEG, POLYSORBATE, LAURETHS, ETHOXYLATED ALCOHOLS

CRYSTALLINE SILICA: in, AMORPHOUS SILICATES

Nitrosamine Precursors

DEA

TEA

BRONOPOL

PADIMATE O

Formaldehyde Releasers

BRONOPOL

QUATERNIUM 15

DIAZOLIDINYL UREA

IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA

DMDM HYDANTOIN

Overt Carcinogens

DEA

TALC

FLUORIDE

SACCHARIN

CRYSTALLINE SILICA

COAL TAR DYES

BLUE 1

GREEN 3

PARA-PHENYLENEDIAMINE

For details and documentation see

Steinmann & Epstein, The Safe Shopper's Bible, 1995, MacMillan Press, NY (800) 434-3422

Epstein, The Politics of Cancer Revisited, 1998, East Ridge Press, Hankins, NY (800) 288-1287 or 845- 887-6467.

Women are being exposed to deadly diseases through the everyday use of common cosmetics bought over the counter.

The growing list of synthetic ingredients manufacturers add to their products are turning the most innocent-looking shampoos and moisturizers into cocktails of toxins that could cause cancer over years of sustained use.

These synthetic ingredients are inexpensive, stable and have a long shelf-life. Manufacturers love them, but although the majority of products appear safe in the short run the results from long-term use could be deadly.

Modern cosmetics contain a host of dubious ingredients that would be more at home in a test tube than on our faces. Coal tar colors, phenylenediamine, benzene, even formaldehyde, are just a few of the synthetic chemicals commonly included in shampoos, skin creams and blushes - toxins which are absorbed into your skin with every use.'

There is no question that people are being damaged by their cosmetics. How can they not be? So many things are put into cosmetics now that are carcinogenic and it is allowed because cosmetics are not considered to be as serious as drugs or food.

The adverse effects of toxins is compounded over decades, confusing hormone receptors and slowly altering cell structure. Chemicals are transmitted into the bloodstream in a number of ways: powders have the least absorption, while oily solutions or those designed to increase moisture allow more of the chemical to be absorbed.

Eye makeup can be absorbed by the highly sensitive mucous membranes. Hair sprays, perfumes and dusting powders can be inhaled, irritating the lungs. Lipstick is often chewed off and swallowed.

The United Nations Environmental Program estimates that approximately 70,000 chemicals are in common use across the world with 1,000 new chemicals being introduced every year. Of all the chemicals used in cosmetics, the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health has reported that nearly 900 are toxic - although other groups attack that figure as being far too conservative.

Compared to the toxins found in our air, soil and waterways, cosmetics seem a trivial pursuit to many environmental health and consumer advocacy groups. But many of the same poisons that pollute our environment, from dioxins to petrochemicals, can be found in the jars and bottles that line our bathroom shelves.

It is too early to know with certainty how serious the long-term impact could be on health, but warns that hormone-disrupting chemicals may lurk in cosmetics which could lower immunity to disease and cause neurological and reproductive damage. 'Many of these same ingredients have been found to cause cancer in laboratory animals,' she said. 'At best, a visit to your neighborhood cosmetic counter could result in allergies, irritations and sensitivities.'

Thanks for posting, Scarlette!

That's really interesting, though really scary all at the same time. I've looked over it a bit, but I'm going to check over all of it when I get the chance.

I've been to this site several times and it's scared at first. I got a sample of NARS Balancing foundation at Sephora a while back and it was the perfect match for me.(the best match so far). But then I read this and said forget it. I was bummed out. Here's their Top 10 to Avoid & Top 10 Better Choices.

Foundation you may want to avoid.

Based on an assessment of toxicity drawn from reviews by government agencies and the cosmetic industry, we find the following Foundation may present the greatest potential risks to consumers:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 border=1><TBODY><TR><TH>Product name</TH><TH>Safety score

(range: 0-10)

10 is of most concern

</TH></TR><TR><TD>NARS Balanced Foundation</TD><TD align=middle width=70>9.3</TD></TR><TR><TD>Neutrogena Visibly Even Liquid Makeup</TD><TD align=middle width=70>9.2</TD></TR><TR><TD>Awake Hydro Touch Refill For the Face</TD><TD align=middle width=70>9.1</TD></TR><TR><TD>Revlon Age Defying Makeup SPF 8</TD><TD align=middle width=70>8.9-9.1</TD></TR><TR><TD>L'Oreal Visible Lift Line Minimizing Makeup</TD><TD align=middle width=70>9.1</TD></TR><TR><TD>Neutrogena Healthy Defense,Sheer Makeup, SPF 30</TD><TD align=middle width=70>9.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Almay Time-Off Age Smoothing Makeup SPF 12</TD><TD align=middle width=70>9.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Almay Clear Complexion Compact Makeup</TD><TD align=middle width=70>8.9</TD></TR><TR><TD>Elizabeth Arden Bare Perfection Flawless Finish Foundation SPF 8</TD><TD align=middle width=70>8.9</TD></TR><TR><TD>L'Oreal Mattique Illuminating Matte Makeup</TD><TD align=middle width=70>8.9</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Foundation - Better Choices

Based on the government and industry sources we have reviewed, these Foundation contain less toxic ingredients.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 border=1><TBODY><TR><TH>Product name</TH><TH>Safety score

(range: 0-10)

10 is of most concern

</TH></TR><TR><TD>Amazing Concealer Velvet Mineral Powder Foundation</TD><TD align=middle width=70>3.4</TD></TR><TR><TD>Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup Oil-Free SPF 20</TD><TD align=middle width=70>5.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Max Factor Pan-Stick Ultra-Creamy Makeup</TD><TD align=middle width=70>5.8</TD></TR><TR><TD>Paula Dorf Face Tint SPF 15 For the Face</TD><TD align=middle width=70>6.0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Max Factor Facefinity Foundation SPF 15</TD><TD align=middle width=70>6.4</TD></TR><TR><TD>Almay Moisture Tint Sports Formula Makeup</TD><TD align=middle width=70>6.5</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lola Creme Foundation Oil-Free</TD><TD align=middle width=70>6.6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Paula Dorf Moisture Foundation Oil Free</TD><TD align=middle width=70>6.7-6.8</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cover Girl Smoothers All Day Hydrating Make-Up</TD><TD align=middle width=70>6.8</TD></TR><TR><TD>Awake Fine Finish Refill For the Face</TD><TD align=middle width=70>6.9</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

H... my stuff isn't on either list - Oh well, I guess it's good that they aren't on the bad list!
icon_redface.gif

I saw this a few years ago, but heard (from a scientist) that the EWG isn't the most reputable organization. It seems legit, but I think they use a lot of scare tactics. Plus, doesn't everything cause cancer?
wink.gif
Just kidding.

Woah, thanks for posting this article Scarlette. Thankfully ive never used anything on the list that MakeUpFanatic posted. Kinda makes you wonder what we're using on our faces girls, doesn't it?

Yeah, I am sorta scared.. my pores are big, so I am afraid that they will work as a drain and suck up all the makeup into my bloodstream. ahh!!!! I think I'll be okay!
eek.gif

Wow! That's great info. Is EWG (Environmental Working Group) government funded? It will even give you specific brand/product details of the products to avoid, better choices, areas of concern and more. Loreal is among the lower group, but still high (on a scale of 1-10 it is a 6.2 with 10 being the worst).

I revamped this thread b/c I got an email about lipstick and cancer. So, of course, I went to Snopes and found out they say it's FALSE, but as I see from EWG's site....There are many carcinogens in many of the products we use.

Lip Venom is a GO!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Thank goodness!

I heard about this.

I also heard NY is going to pass a law where cosmetics cannot be sold in that state with a particular ingredient(s) . Not sure the details. My sister heard it on the news and told me. If anyone knows the particulars of this, please post.

Wonder if this law will be passed in other states as well. Anyone know?

Scarlette,

Thank you thank you thank you for this thread. I have a dumb question, maybe I didn't read carefully enough.....but what about Benefit? I have not had a lot of experience with Benefit, as when I'm here in Europe I like Bobbi Brown and sometimes Chanel. But is Benefit that toxic as well? I would love to try it. In fact, I probably need to come in for a makeover. Do you and Benebaby work at the same place? I'll be in the Bay Area in late Jan, early Feb. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Elisabeth

Yes, there are some things in cosmetics that can cause a higher probability of cancer. You must remember that these sites are talking about much, much higher quantities of these things than are found in makeup. Remember, even oxygen can be toxic.

Latest posts

Back