Covering bad features vs. working with them

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How have you dealt with the facial features that you don't like? Do you cover them up or work with them?

The two things I've always been the most self conscious about, as far as my face is concerned, are the scar that splits my eyebrow and the shape of my nose. I struggled for years with that ridiculous scar; it literally cuts right through where the hairs would normally grow, so that there's one row of hairs higher, and one lower. If I take either row off, it's not only lopsided but too thin and instead of just seeing a strip of empty hair you can see the indent in my skin. A few months ago I was viciously complaining to my boyfriend about my eyebrow frustrations and he gave me a suggestion. He said that instead of trying to make the scar disappear and "fix" my eyebrow, which clearly can't be fixed, I ought to emphasize it. It seemed like a preposterous idea at first and I sort of just blew the suggestion off. The next week during my routine brow repair, which really was overplucking and making myself look ridiculous, I decided it couldn't hurt to try it. I grew my eyebrows out, tedious, very tedious. Then when I shaped them catered to the scar and now every day I line my eyebrows, and both deviations around the scar, with a gray/black liner.

So I went from having to pluck my eyebrows paper thin to get them even and having to do a ( shape instead of an angled shape, to having a punky scarred eyebrow that frames my face and doesn't make me look silly. Sorry about the lack of good pictures of what I'm talking about, the brows haven't been fixed long enough to have accumulated good photos and before I just took photos of my other eye.

Then there's my nose shape. My dad was Native American and Belgian and I got a lot of his rather unladylike genes. Including a nose that's a bit trollish and doesn't fit quite right on my face. The bridge is too wide and the end is all round like a clown nose. How can you work with that? =/ So I cover that up. I put a lighter concealer under my eyes and down the sides of my nose and a darker one down the center. It isn't noticeable unless you look at a before after makeup pic (not quite brave enough to post a before makeup pic...), but it makes it significantly less noticeable. 

I know I can't be the only one with a difficult face, moles, birthmarks, scars, noses, lips? What are your face struggles and how do you fix them?

Not that this is the same as having a scar on my face but i have a huge (and i mean huuuuuuuuuuuuge) scar on my neck, you can see it in most pictures and it is impossible to cover up unless i wear a turtleneck or something. Instead of always trying to hide it or cover it up i flaunt it, it's not going away so why cover it up. Personally, i love scars. They show that you've lived life.

As for other features i try my hardest not to bash any part of my looks, it just makes me feel worse. Yes, i may not be perfect but i like the little things that aren't considered great features. It seems like you are already contouring which lots of people do to correct features without surgery or anything drastic. 

sorry, it won't let me resize these :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've had 3 surgeries in on my neck, one to take out a lymph node, one to take out a bunch of lymph nodes and my thyroid, and one to take out yet another lymph node 
icon_lol.gif

I feel so stupid, but I really cannot for the life of me see the scar that you're talking about in the eyebrow photos. I also don't see anything wrong with either one! I have a scar on my left eyebrow from being hit with a rock when I was about 5 years old.

It's never actually bothered me, it's just part of my face, and it adds character, imho. Of course that's probably easier for me to say because it's above my eyebrow and no one really notices it much. 

As far as other features I don't like, I'm learning to just accept that this is my body and this is what I have, and to live with it and stop bashing myself about it. 

@calimel- I couldn't find any pictures that showed the scar really well, particularly the before pictures because I used to take them all with my crappy computer camera. I'll take a better picture tonight =) @turbo and myr- it does looks like a necklace! If you tattooed a small design in the middle it would look completely intentional. I have a few surgery scars but they're on my belly so no one ever really sees them, I think it's awesome that you flaunt that one though, it is really unique

Latest posts

Back