covering undertones

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello everyone! I need help...my brain has gone blank and I'm trying to figure out how to use the following to cover undertones...pink? green? and yellow? cover what undertones? Thank you
icon_redface.gif

Welcome to MUT pinkjule!

In terms of the color theory behind corrective makeup...

Each color in the spectrum has its opposite (or complimentary color) that lies directly across on the color wheel. For example, red & green are complimentary colors because they are exactly opposite of each other.

color-wheel.gif

If you mix red & green paint together, you'll end up with a neutral color (brown). If you mix yellow & purple together, you'll end up with a neutral color as well. Complimentary colors cancel each other out.

In theory, it works the same for makeup.

Pink corrects green (ie: veins)

Green corrects red (ie: blemishes)

Yellow corrects purple (ie: under eyes)

As a makeup artist, I honestly don't use corrective color concealors. From experience working on a wide range of skin tones, I find that using a concealor with peach undertones cancels out dark circles the best.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by pinkjule

hello everyone! I need help...my brain has gone blank and I'm trying to figure out how to use the following to cover undertones...pink? green? and yellow? cover what undertones? Thank you
icon_redface.gif

Welcome Pink! Thanks for finally getting to post this and I was glad to assist you in posting it.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Welcome to MUT pinkjule!

Each color in the spectrum has its opposite (or complimentary color) that lies directly across on the color wheel. For example, red & green are complimentary colors because they are exactly opposite of each other.

color-wheel.gif

If you mix red & green paint together, you'll end up with a neutral color (brown). If you mix yellow & purple together, you'll end up with a neutral color as well. Complimentary colors cancel each other out.

As a makeup artist, I honestly don't use corrective color concealors. From experience working on a wide range of skin tones, I find that using a concealor with peach undertones cancels out dark circles the best.

Hope this helps!

Thank you JOy!!!!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Welcome Pink! Thanks for finally getting to post this and I was glad to assist you in posting it. I llllove the site!! Thank you!!!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Welcome to MUT pinkjule!

color-wheel.gif

Hope this helps!

I agree, I never use the whole pink, green and yellow thing... Peach tones or orange based colors for darker skin are what I use for bluish or purple discolorations(undereye) and olive colors are what I use for just about everything else.

Originally Posted by Trisha Welcome to MuT Pink, fab advice from Joy as usual x
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_redface.gif

Latest posts

Back