cream vs. powder blush

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I read somewhere that cream blush is supposed to be used over liquid foundation and powder blush over powder foundation...which really makes sense to me.

but during my MAC makeover the MA used Cream blush over Studio Fix, which is a powder foundation. I don´t remember what she used to apply it with but it still looked pretty even.

so now I´m kinda confused
confused.gif

I only own one cream blush (MAC Fancy Ray from D`Bohemia) and I think I´m gonna try to apply it over Studio Fix with my #187 brush (I left my foundation brush at a friend´s house, damnit!) hope it turns out good

I have a Stila Color Push-up in fushia flash (I think this color is a LE). This was my first cream type blush, I was nervous at first but I love it! It's like a mini deodorant stick and I just swipe it on and finger blend it over my powder foundation with no problems. Gives a real nice flush look. Takes a few applications to get the hang of it. I will be buying more colors, probably berry flash and rouge flash ($20 US).

P42962_hero.jpg

I don't see why you can't use cream blush with powder foundation. then again I am no expert on this...
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Arielle I read somewhere that cream blush is supposed to be used over liquid foundation and powder blush over powder foundation...which really makes sense to me.
but during my MAC makeover the MA used Cream blush over Studio Fix, which is a powder foundation. I don´t remember what she used to apply it with but it still looked pretty even.

so now I´m kinda confused
confused.gif

I only own one cream blush (MAC Fancy Ray from D`Bohemia) and I think I´m gonna try to apply it over Studio Fix with my #187 brush (I left my foundation brush at a friend´s house, damnit!) hope it turns out good

I hate when people say you have to do this or that with makeup...there's only one rule to remember with makeup application-THERE ARE NO RULES IN MAKEUP! You just have to find what's right for you.

Creams usually look better on bare skin or over liquid or cream bases...but you can put them over powder, it's just that it may be a bit tricky to blend...Powders you can pretty much put over anything, but they won't hold well on bare skin.

I like applying cream blushes with a certain type of brush that I have(I can't think of the brand right now, I just know that I always reach for it), then I usually blend out really well with a sponge

I don't think they are rules about that because I don't use liquid foundation too much and when I use cream blush( Stila's Convertible Color) I always use it over my pressed powder, and always with my fingers not with brush because I can blend it more easy!!! Also cream blush is more long lasting!!

But when you use a powder blush I think under this is helpful to use a little powder it will help you to apply it!!!

I find cream blush more difficult to blend if you put it on after powder.

Powder blush you can use over both, but to get really long lasting blush, put some cream blush on then put a layer of powder blush over the top.

Lea you just answer to a question I had for a long time!! I wanted to find a way to make my powder blush to last longer and now I found it, I'll apply under a little cream blush first!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Lealabell I find cream blush more difficult to blend if you put it on after powder.
Powder blush you can use over both, but to get really long lasting blush, put some cream blush on then put a layer of powder blush over the top.

Originally Posted by envymi THERE ARE NO RULES IN MAKEUP! I wholeheartedly agree! You have to experiment and see what works for you.I have used cream blush over both powder and liquid foundation and it stays fine. Sometimes when I use it over liquid foundation, I dust some loose powder over the cream blush to set it. However, I think part of the charm of cream blush is that it gives a naturally glow, so I like applying it last, on top of my foundation without anything over top, it gives a nice dewy finish.

Originally Posted by Arielle I read somewhere that cream blush is supposed to be used over liquid foundation and powder blush over powder foundation...which really makes sense to me.
I read it too, I think this tip was written in a Bobbi Brown (or Sonia Kashuk?)'s book

i have used cream color base in bonze over select tint! But I think when you try to follow too many rules you just confuse yourself. I find myself doing that sometimes too b/c I'm a neurotic, but like everyone else has said just do what works for you. Play around a little you may find something works for you that may not work for everyone else.
icon_biggrin.gif

thanks for your input, ladies.

I tried my cream blush over studio fix and it blended really well...MYSTERY SOLVED
wink.gif

Glad it worked well for you, Andrea!
biggrin.gif
I personally rarely use cream blush, but if I do, I use it over my powder foundation - I don't find it that hard to blend.

Originally Posted by Arielle thanks for your input, ladies.I tried my cream blush over studio fix and it blended really well...MYSTERY SOLVED
wink.gif

YAY!

Back