Criticise/Advice/Opinions please!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So following on a discussion on a thread the other day about giving constructive criticism, i thought i'd post a few pics of looks i've done and i want HONEST opinons on what i could do better, what i did wrong, what i should be doing instead etc..

Personally i think i blend too much because i can never see the different colours on my lids like the way some of your girls do it.

Plus i cant get the hand of applying e/s under my lashline

So fire away girls, i'm not gonna take offense so don't hold back! No nice comments allowed
hahaha.gif

Oh and please excuse the brows in most pics!

Great advice Trisha! That will help me too!

Laura, I think what Trisha mentioned in the other post (EYESHADOW FOR DUMMIES) about the best brush for packing on color. That's the problem I'm running into (or it may just be my es/brand). Also, are you applying anything to your lids prior to es?

Again, ditto what Trisha said. Your technique is great!

It just seems like a brush issue to achieve more opaque results.

Originally Posted by Trisha for example Melissa, a MAC e.s in frost or VP finish will always look more opaque than a satin i think xx Oh boy
icon_eek.gif

I have ALOT to learn. I have Saturday off. Do you think if I went counter to counter they would apply mu and the next counter would take it off in competition for my business?? Or would I have to carry mu remover with me!!!
icon_lol.gif

Sorry if I sound like an imbicile, but like I said before makeup is truly an art...

Originally Posted by Trisha for example Melissa, a MAC e.s in frost or VP finish will always look more opaque than a satin i think xx What about the Pigments? I am getting samples of those in Tan, Golden Olive, Deckchair, Provence, and Coco.

Thanks for all the replies so far girls! Keep em coming!

I'm gonna practice that blending technique on my hands alright because that is one of my big faults (over blending!). Thanks for the tip about blending exactly where they meet Kites!

I have MAC's #239 that Trisha mentioned in the other thread Melissa and i use that! Also i apply MAC's Bare Canvas Paint as an e/s base all the time (couldnt live without it)

Oh & i have the #266 too so i might try using that for under my eyes although i find the bristles on that quite hard..

For what eye job exactly is Mac's 239? I've seen it once at a Mac counter and I really liked the shape!

Originally Posted by Laura Thanks for all the replies so far girls! Keep em coming!
I'm gonna practice that blending technique on my hands alright because that is one of my big faults (over blending!). Thanks for the tip about blending exactly where they meet Kites!

I have MAC's #239 that Trisha mentioned in the other thread Melissa and i use that! Also i apply MAC's Bare Canvas Paint as an e/s base all the time (couldnt live without it)

Oh & i have the #266 too so i might try using that for under my eyes although i find the bristles on that quite hard..

do you do a wash of color thenapply the darker color on the outer part after that? if you do, try not to. lol

if you're putting a dark color over a light, you're not going to get the same dark color that you want to get. and the wash color is going to take away the tackiness of the base paint instead of the dark color going on the paint.

do i make any sense? lol

I agree with Trisha's advice for e/s application. Try blending less if you want to see the colors. Then take a fluffy brush and blend lightly just where the colors meet or you have any harsh lines. She's also right about different types of eyeshadows. They're not all created equally and meant to have the same effect. Some brands make theirs more pigmented and they are usually harder to use. Makeup companies are making them less pigmented now a days to be more user friendly for the average consumer. Companies like MAC were created for the professional but over the years, they have evolved to cater towards the mass market. I think if you talked to someone who's been using MAC since the begining before Estee Lauder boought the company, they would tell you that the products have changed over the years. Don't get me wrong, they are still making some of the best makeup out there. I personally find there are other brands that make thier e/s's more pigmented.

As far as getting the eyeshadow under the eye, try NARS smudge brush. It is one of my favorite brushes. It also gives you the best smokey eye!! As far as I have seen. MAC does not make a brush that is similar to the NARS smudge brush or I would recommend it to you. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any other brand that makes a brush like that one. Unless anyone else knows of one like that from another company???? I'll post a picture of mine later. I looked on the Sephora website and they don't sell it there. You can get it on narscosmetics.com
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Incase some of you are wondering what the NARS smudge brush looks like. Here are two pics of it. As you can see, the hairs don't extend far out of the ferrule and they are firmly packed so you get a stiffer brush which works wonders for presise application or for blending out a smokey eye. I use this often.

I know that you were asking about eyeshadow, but I think you have a great smile and you should try playing up your lips a bit more.

Originally Posted by Charmaine That sounds like a really awesome brush! Do they sell it on the Nars website? Yes, they sell it on the NARS website but not on the Sephora website. Worth every penny.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha can you believe the smudge brush is £36 in the UK, that is the equivalent to $65!!!!! that's CRAZY!
lau, i'm the other nude lip lover, but lately, i've been trying to more colors. i bought viva glam 2 off liz and i wore it when i got it and my coworker commented on how nice it looked on me, but i hated it! i hate anything plummy, rosy, mauvey, etc. on me. maybe you should try a gloss over brew to give it a hint of a shade.

also, add blush!

Originally Posted by Jennifer that's CRAZY!
lau, i'm the other nude lip lover, but lately, i've been trying to more colors. i bought viva glam 2 off liz and i wore it when i got it and my coworker commented on how nice it looked on me, but i hated it! i hate anything plummy, rosy, mauvey, etc. on me. maybe you should try a gloss over brew to give it a hint of a shade.

also, add blush!

awww. i'm sorry that it didn't work out for you jen
frown.gif
how was the other lippie?

Originally Posted by Liz awww. i'm sorry that it didn't work out for you jen
frown.gif
how was the other lippie? actually, it wasn't bad (viva glam). it just felt weird because i never wear colors like that. i loved the satin finish, though, and usually, i don't like satins. sweetie was very out there for me LOL i wanna keep it, though, because maybe i'll get into these colors!

Originally Posted by Jennifer actually, it wasn't bad (viva glam). it just felt weird because i never wear colors like that. i loved the satin finish, though, and usually, i don't like satins. sweetie was very out there for me LOL i wanna keep it, though, because maybe i'll get into these colors! lol. you can try mixing colors or something. like adding gloss or mixing sweetie with brew to lighten the color...?

Originally Posted by Liz if you're putting a dark color over a light, you're not going to get the same dark color that you want to get. and the wash color is going to take away the tackiness of the base paint instead of the dark color going on the paint.
do i make any sense? lol

That makes PERFECT sense & yeah i have been doing it the wrong way! I always applied the light shadow all over up to brow but now i realise i shouldnt! I think this will make a huge difference, thanks Liz!

Originally Posted by gamaki As far as getting the eyeshadow under the eye, try NARS smudge brush. It is one of my favorite brushes. It also gives you the best smokey eye!! As far as I have seen. MAC does not make a brush that is similar to the NARS smudge brush or I would recommend it to you. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any other brand that makes a brush like that one. Unless anyone else knows of one like that from another company???? I'll post a picture of mine later. I looked on the Sephora website and they don't sell it there. You can get it on narscosmetics.com
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Cool! I'll definitely add the NARS Smudge brush to my wishlist. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl I know that you were asking about eyeshadow, but I think you have a great smile and you should try playing up your lips a bit more. You are so right girlie! I've been a nude girl all my life & i mean ALL my life.. I used to put concealer on my lips with clear gloss over it when i was about 14. I just have a thing about red lips.. Anyway, i think i might venture in to some pink tones lipsticks but nothing drastic! I bought NARS Orgasm gloss before praying i'd wear it but it was too peachy, same with MAC Prrr.. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back