Damn stretch marks

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey girls, I have a few questions about stretch marks. I have visible stretch marks across my waist, it frustrates me because I have never been pregnant before, I have never gained weight or lost weight, my weight has been very consistent throughout my whole life. Even if I were to gain or lose weight, it would only be about 4 pounds which is no big deal, at least I don't think it would be bad enough to leave stretch marks. I heard that as you grow taller you can have stretch marks as well, but I first noticed these stretch marks when I was 19, and I completely stopped growing taller when I was 15, 16. I am just confused how and why I get them. I heard that there is no way to get rid of them, but is there a way to at least make them less visible? Stretch marks are just so annoying because they look bad and they are scars that never go away.
frown.gif

People say things like cocoa butter or vitamin e (rubbing it's liquid form on the scar) can help. But there is nothing to make them go away and really only time fades them.

I'd try not to get hung up on it. Everyone sees something they don't like about themselves and they want to fix it, it's part of culture. Everyone has stretch marks though, even guys. <3

Retin A can help - its the only topical that has been shown to actually help.

Aside from that, you are looking at laser treatments, which cost a lot more.

Your family doctor can prescribe Stevia Vitamin A Acid Gel - Canada's version of Retin A.

A tube goes for about $17 in Canada so it might be worth considering.

Question since I'd rather not make a new thread:

If you don't have stretch marks but you use over the counter products that help minimize stretch marks, will it prevent it?

I started to get new stretchmarks out of nowhere so after a few google searches, one of the sites I found was this: massage stretch marks away with stretch marks removal home method by Jean .

Here's some info on why people get stretchmarks and a ways to get rid of them aboutstretchmarks .

There used to also be a doctors website where he talked about cortisol change in relation to stretchmarks and to me it all looks very hormonal. I think hormones and stress have caused a lot of mine.

And yeah, I know that the website looks horrendous and kind of like a giant pop-up ad from hell, but i've actually used the method she teaches in her ebook and it does work. I actually now think though, that if you used a dermaroller with the creams she recommends (though once you get the hang of it, i'm sure you can use your own creams) then you'd get even better results.

A 1.5mm dermaroller on ebay is like ~$10.00, so not too bad.

I heard it's really painful though @_@.

ive been using palmer's stretch mark lotion to prevent stretch marks (im expecting) so i cant tell you if its working yet or not but iv heard raves about it..i think prevention is key because its easier to prevent them than to treat them. ive also heard good things about bio oil for stretch marks/scars. HTH

To put it plainly, no creams or lotions when used alone can penetrate the whole depth of stretch marks, nor can they fill in the indentations caused by the broken down connective tissues. The only way to reduce or even remove stretch marks, is through aggressive skin regeneration and resurfacing.

I know, when I was 14, I had stretchmarks all over my boobs. And I couldn'r wear half my shirts because of them. Cocoa butter and Vitamin E help.

just being pregnant, i can totally help you! rosehip oil. yes. it's that simple. i had never heard of it until i did a deep internet search. i have wrinkly stretch marked belly now from my son, but 2 weeks of using it and I see a VAST difference. I use the aubrey organics one, it's $12 for .36oz... that's alot, but is it too much for something that works?

I've also thought about ordering raw shea butter online and using my mixer to make it creamy... 16oz for 7 dollars or so on a soap making site. High end brands sell the same thing for ten times that price! I'll let you know how the shea helped but DEFINITELY try the rosehip oil!

Originally Posted by nxdfashionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'll let you know how the shea helped but DEFINITELY try the rosehip oil! Where can you purchase rosehip oil?

i would just like to comment on my post to say DONT get that Palmers stretch mark cream cause i seem to have visible stretch marks developing..it must not be helpin much..
frown.gif

I feel for you...funny thing is i just had a baby and i don't have stretchmarks around the abdomen area, but i've had stretchmarks around my hip area for most of my life... I will research more about Rosehip oil, sounds promising. Thanx
smile.gif

I am hoping in the future to have children so rather than to treat whats the best stretch mark prevention??

I currently have stretch marks on my hips (only about 4), inner thighs, back of calves and butt. I used to get SOOOO down and upset about them. Especially the ones on my calves. I would be like, "NOO!! There are too many years left in my life to never wear short shorts agaiN!!!" and I would even wear stockings in the blazing summer heat to cover them. This was about a year ago and a bit ago though and they have faded so much that I don't even notice them anymore. They used to be pretty noticable and now me nor my friends notice them. I've even had friends look for them and not be able to see them. You can still see the ones on my hip IF you look for them otherwise they aren't actually that noticable. My inner thigh ones are more noticable than my hips and calves but again, someone would only be likely to notice them if they were actually staring at my inner thighs. The ones on my butt are the most noticable because they're white and are sort of indented so that really sucks, but I found out that SOOO many other girls have them (I've been to an all girls high school, trust me) so they don't bother me as much before.

Time is what will fade them best. I used to go through so many creams trying to fade them and I'd even use makeup on them. I used Palmers Cocoa Butter for AGES and that didn't seem to work at all. I switched to Bio Oil and I definitley think that did help speed up the process, so if I were to recommend something for your stretch marks it would definitely be Bio Oil :) Remember though, these sort of creams work best on newer stretch marks rather than the older ones.

By the way, I'm 5'4" and 113lbs.

I've read somewhere that the natural hydrolyzed fish collagen elimanates the stretch marks. The only problem is that it's pricy.

Cocoa butter and vitamin E help a little bit. also spray tans help cover them.

Any way, on to why you could have them. The only thing i can think of if it is not from a body change could be medication. some topical medication, especially ones that contain steroids can cause streach marks, also some of the bleaching creams made for fighting acne on your body can cause stretch marks.

FYI i have streatch marks on my hips and shoulders that were caused by a topical steroid for my psoriasis.

Originally Posted by xjackie83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif People say things like cocoa butter or vitamin e (rubbing it's liquid form on the scar) can help. But there is nothing to make them go away and really only time fades them.
I'd try not to get hung up on it. Everyone sees something they don't like about themselves and they want to fix it, it's part of culture. Everyone has stretch marks though, even guys. <3

this quote is soo true!!! i was going to recommend coca butter as well...esp. da 1 from body shop---they actually have some cream specific for stretch marks, my friend had very few not that visible ones-IT worked well for her..

I tried the Palmers when I was pregnant and it gave me a rash so I just use the regular cocoa butter but that's only for not getting them. I heard vitamin E capsules work though.

Originally Posted by eebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif I feel for you...funny thing is i just had a baby and i don't have stretchmarks around the abdomen area, but i've had stretchmarks around my hip area for most of my life... I will research more about Rosehip oil, sounds promising. Thanx
smile.gif
yeah, thats where mine are forming too, the hip, thighs, & lowerish back area..i guess cause im gaining weight mostly through my legs & butt..not really so much my belly.

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif Retin A can help - its the only topical that has been shown to actually help.
Aside from that, you are looking at laser treatments, which cost a lot more.

Your family doctor can prescribe Stevia Vitamin A Acid Gel - Canada's version of Retin A.

A tube goes for about $17 in Canada so it might be worth considering.

I could've sworn Retin A was used for treating acne as well? Is this the magic treatment everyones thriving for or what?
laughing.gif
Well, you need to have this prescribed to you by your GP here in the UK, so good luck getting it.

Latest posts

Back