Dark lip and eye lids.. HELP!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am soooooo tired of black and brown shadows, unfortunately I have really dark lids, and no matter what color I wear, it always looks grey or brown! I have been using Nyx eye primer, it sorta helps, but not really enough to wear those spring shades.

Another issue that I face (among many) is that I have brown lips! I have NEVER been able to wear any type of pink or remotely light shade! Gloss? Forgetaboutit! USELESS!   Most think I am still in my "goth stage" but, its the only colors that show up :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh I can wear any deep lip color, of course it will always look different on someone else due to the brown that will always bleed through.

I am on bended knees, praying that someone can help. Just Imagine, a 33 yr old woman who never got to wear barbie pink a day in her life. Not that I would wear Barbie pink now lol

did you try a white e/s base before, like the NYX jumbo pencils in milk or cottage cheese? i find milk to be very opaque, so it should show up as white on your lids! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

as for lips, try concealing your lips with you regular concealer (or maybe a slightly lighter one if you put very pigmented lipstick on...) to blank them out to have a "clean canvas".

hope this helped a bit!

You could get a lighter colored MAC paint pot, or other cream eyeshadow with good reviews as a base as well as, or instead of, the NYX jumbo pencils. It really sounds like you need a good opaque base. Benefit, Stila, TheBalm, and now Maybelline all have good cream shadows that people use as bases and no doubt there are some lighter shades you could check out to cover up the darkness on your lids. The only reason I'm not on board with the NYX jumbo pencils is that I heard that if you use too much you will get creasing, so you are only supposed to use a light layer. In order to cover the darkness you describe, that might not be enough. I don't know though since I don't have milk or cottage cheese pencils so maybe a light layer is highly pigmented anyway?

I agree with Katie about concealer for your lips. I don't have super pigmented lips, just medium pinky brown, but when I want my lip color to be true I use concealer on them, blot, then apply my lip color.

I'm pretty sure there are products out there meant to conceal dark lids, like Benefit Lemonaide, but I've never used them so I don't know how well they work. Hopefully some others will jump in with suggestions for you.

Thanks Katie and Donna! def going to try this very soon. Never thought to use a pencil before shadow! Brilliant!

I have darker pigmented eyelids and lips as well. Benefits Lemon Aid is amazing...its a light yellow so it neutralizes the color and acts as a primer.  I love it!

I'm not really sure what to do about the lips I just end up doing a nude lip liner.  but lately ive been mixing my own colors of obsessive compulsive cosmetics lip tars in bright coral pinks and those are so pigmented my lip color hasn't been an issue.

definitely second the jumbo eye pencils. cottage cheese is shimmery white, and milk is just matte white. someone swatched shadows over it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE_JlZdUflo

Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

did you try a white e/s base before, like the NYX jumbo pencils in milk or cottage cheese? i find milk to be very opaque, so it should show up as white on your lids! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was just thinking, you don't need powder shadows at all if you get the right cream ones. They are pigmented enough that they would cover your dark lids on their own, you just have to check reviews and get the kind that don't crease. (As I mentioned above, Paint pots, Stila's, Benefit's, TheBalm's, and Maybelline's, all those are potted cream shadows.) But also Urban Decay makes fabulous 24/7 Shadow Pencils. These are not the famous liners, they are fat pencils similar to NYX jumbo pencils, but they do NOT crease. So you could go nuts with colorful cream shadows or shadow pencils without having to use them as bases, although they are versatile enough to use that way, and then you could go nuts with the powder shadows too.

Amazing! Thank you all again! Just ordered the nyx jumbo pencil in milk.Last time I ordered it took quite some time for items to arrive, but I will keep you all posted. Going to look into these potted cream shadows as well.

Everyone has already given great advice, so I just want to wish you the best of luck with the Milk pencil! It sounds like the perfect solution, as does the cream shadows.

I always use concealer as a base on my lips also!

Latest posts

Back