Dark Side: Last 'Star Wars' Movie Not for Kids?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dark Side: Last 'Star Wars' Movie Not for Kids?

By David Germain

Associated Press

The Force lands in theaters a bit more forcefully in the final installment of George Lucas' "Star Wars" tale. "Episode III 'Revenge of the Sith'" is the first "Star Wars" tale to receive a PG-13 rating. The movie was screened for reporters May 3 at Lucas' Skywalker Ranch, and the PG-13 rating - "for sci-fi violence and some intense images" - is well-deserved. The action is relentless and includes sequences more dark and disturbing than anything previously seen in the tragic Skywalker soap opera. Young Jedi knight Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) completes his transformation into blackhearted villain Darth Vader with a bloodbath against old allies, the body count including a corridor of "youngling" corpses - Jedi children cut down by his light saber.

Anakin is left gruesomely mutilated in a death duel with former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). His surgical reclamation as the part-flesh, part-machine Vader is chillingly juxtaposed against the bleak childbirth scene of his wife, Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman), whose twins grow up to be heroes of the original "Star Wars" trilogy, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.

Even cute and cuddly Jedi master Yoda takes his lumps, torched by the electroshock treatment dished out by the saga's puppetmaster, the evil emperor (Ian McDiarmid). The previous five "Star Wars" flicks all were rated PG, which carry the mild warning "parental guidance suggested," and that some scenes might be unsuitable for children. The PG-13 rating carries the alert "parents strongly cautioned" that some material could be inappropriate for those younger than 13. "We're getting a lot of flak from parents, a lot of people saying how can you do this? My children love these movies. Why can you not let them go see it?" Lucas told The Associated Press in a recent interview. "But I have to tell a story. I'm not making these, oddly enough, to be giant, successful blockbusters. I'm making them because I'm telling a story, and I have to tell the story I intended." Of course, the PG-13 rating does not prohibit children under 13 from seeing the film without an adult tagging along. And while it's not likely to make much of a dent in the movie's certain blockbuster status, the rating could give some parents pause.

"These are pretty intense. Who should be allowed to see them should be left up to the parents, but at least they're warned that it's pretty intense," Lucas said. "And obviously, that's not a good business move."

Rebuttal: We are taking our little Cameron to see this. He is a HUGE Star Wars fan and would not tolerate missing it. We have talked about it for months and he is all excited. He is the classic "unsheltered" child anyhow, so this won't affect him at all. He goes with us to see alot of movies and such. I think ONLY you know your kids and know whether or not they would be afraid of it. Ours will not
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Dark Side: Last 'Star Wars' Movie Not for Kids?
By David GermainAssociated Press

The Force lands in theaters a bit more forcefully in the final installment of George Lucas' "Star Wars" tale. "Episode III 'Revenge of the Sith'" is the first "Star Wars" tale to receive a PG-13 rating. The movie was screened for reporters May 3 at Lucas' Skywalker Ranch, and the PG-13 rating - "for sci-fi violence and some intense images" - is well-deserved. The action is relentless and includes sequences more dark and disturbing than anything previously seen in the tragic Skywalker soap opera. Young Jedi knight Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) completes his transformation into blackhearted villain Darth Vader with a bloodbath against old allies, the body count including a corridor of "youngling" corpses - Jedi children cut down by his light saber.

Anakin is left gruesomely mutilated in a death duel with former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). His surgical reclamation as the part-flesh, part-machine Vader is chillingly juxtaposed against the bleak childbirth scene of his wife, Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman), whose twins grow up to be heroes of the original "Star Wars" trilogy, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.

Even cute and cuddly Jedi master Yoda takes his lumps, torched by the electroshock treatment dished out by the saga's puppetmaster, the evil emperor (Ian McDiarmid). The previous five "Star Wars" flicks all were rated PG, which carry the mild warning "parental guidance suggested," and that some scenes might be unsuitable for children. The PG-13 rating carries the alert "parents strongly cautioned" that some material could be inappropriate for those younger than 13. "We're getting a lot of flak from parents, a lot of people saying how can you do this? My children love these movies. Why can you not let them go see it?" Lucas told The Associated Press in a recent interview. "But I have to tell a story. I'm not making these, oddly enough, to be giant, successful blockbusters. I'm making them because I'm telling a story, and I have to tell the story I intended." Of course, the PG-13 rating does not prohibit children under 13 from seeing the film without an adult tagging along. And while it's not likely to make much of a dent in the movie's certain blockbuster status, the rating could give some parents pause.

"These are pretty intense. Who should be allowed to see them should be left up to the parents, but at least they're warned that it's pretty intense," Lucas said. "And obviously, that's not a good business move."

Rebuttal: We are taking our little Cameron to see this. He is a HUGE Star Wars fan and would not tolerate missing it. We have talked about it for months and he is all excited. He is the classic "unsheltered" child anyhow, so this won't affect him at all. He goes with us to see alot of movies and such. I think ONLY you know your kids and know whether or not they would be afraid of it. Ours will not
wink.gif

Mommy and daddy always know best,not the critiques.Have fun and enjoy, I'm sure he will love it.Now if spongebob was in starwars we would prob take our kids to see it too ,lol
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by nydoll23

Mommy and daddy always know best,not the critiques.Have fun and enjoy, I'm sure he will love it.Now if spongebob was in starwars we would prob take our kids to see it too ,lol
rolleyes.gif

Oh? how old are they?

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Oh? how old are they?
2 and three,so star wars is a little out of there league,although they did enjoy parts of the lord of the rings,two towers

Originally Posted by nydoll23 2 and three,so star wars is a little out of there league,although they did enjoy parts of the lord of the rings,two towers Kids are wierd,lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif

OH nice! You let them watch that? COOL!!!!!!!

Our Cameron is 4

2 and three,so star wars is a little out of there league,although they did enjoy parts of the lord of the rings,two towers

I don't have kids but i watche with my yourger bro so i don't think it would matter to himm....but thanks tony...and enjoy
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) OH nice! You let them watch that? COOL!!!!!!!
Our Cameron is 4

Well if they are quiet and calm why not,Besides for some strange reason they liked that little monster thing that was leading elijah wood around.

Well if they are quiet and calm why not,Besides for some strange reason they liked that little monster thing that was leading elijah wood around.

LOLOL Yeah the skinny guy? lol We are just SCI FI fanatics so we have had our Star Wars Tickets for a month now lol

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) LOLOL Yeah the skinny guy? lol We are just SCI FI fanatics so we have had our Star Wars Tickets for a month now lol yep thats the one,he talks to himself and freaks out about the"master"lol.I loved star wars when i was a kid,even space balls
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I bet your son will has a great imagination and is creative too.I think thats why my kids are into these movies,Their imaginations are limitless.

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Dark Side: Last 'Star Wars' Movie Not for Kids?
By David GermainAssociated Press

wink.gif

man i cannot wait to see this movie. i was an unsheltered child lol i was watching r rated movies when i was little when we got cable i think i saw porky's when i was like 10 or younger lol maybe not the best choice but i don't think that seeing r rated movies at our young ages (my brothers and i) harmed us in any way. i think people should care more about what they teach their child rather than letting the child ONLY learn from tv movies and video games.people need to take responsibility for raising their children and not expect everyone including the tv to do it for them

yep thats the one,he talks to himself and freaks out about the"master"lol.I loved star wars when i was a kid,even space balls
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I bet your son will has a great imagination and is creative too.I think thats why my kids are into these movies,Their imaginations are limitless.

Nice!! Another sci-fi girl!

Latest posts

Back