Dark Skin Spots Desperate to get rid

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some dark spots on my face that I got once when I spent the day out in the sun and didn't have enough protection. ( I dread that day every time I look in the mirror).  I have been to a couple dermatologists that have prescribed me Hydroquinone which made my skin very red so I stopped using it. Is there any other remedy that might help the dis-coloration disappear once and for all?
Also, I always use 60 spf now on my face, however when its a hot day outside, I feel my skin getting hot and burning in the area where the spots are. Does anyone know why this happens?

Hey Piper 212,

I've had the same problem with sun damage spots and I have found this awesome dr whom i'm currently seeing who is a family practioner but also does homeopathic and alternative medicine.  One of the things he gave me was  dr. b's Vitamin C cream that helped tremendously.  My sun damage spot is almost gone.  It may be worth looking into. I really hope it works for you.    Best of Luck!

Mod note: Post modified and link deleted per forum rules.

Hydroquinone can make skin hypersensitive to the sun - did your dermatologist not explain that? Are you sure you are applying the recommended amount of sunscreen to achieve SPF60 and reapplying frequently? My suggestions for someone asking about hyperpigmentation https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/122809/farmers-tan-on-arms

Other options for facial pigmentation include dermarolling/ microneedling or an LED device.

use kojic acid or use blend of milk and curd along with little honey

Drink water atleast 3 litre a day.

The sad truth is, even with regular cleansing, some people still develop dark spots -- also called hyper-pigmentation by dermatologists. Hyper-pigmentation is characterized by pockets of discolored skin that remain even after pimples or skin bumps have disappeared. It can be caused by many internal or external factors. Among internal factors, it can be caused by certain illness such as Edison's disease and some hepatic problems. If someone is taking too much iron, for instance, it can cause darker areas on the skin. Hormonal changes during pregnancy or menopause also can play a role in discolored skin. The deficit of certain vitamins and minerals such as calcium and vitamins A, E and B also can cause hyper-pigmentation.

Another common culprit is the increase in melanin that occurs after skin is inflamed or irritated, or too much exposure to the sun. People with darker skin tones such as South Asians and Latinos are more likely to face this kind of problem.

While persistent dark spots can be remedied at home, health experts advise people to first check with a dermatologist to make sure that the spot is harmless and can be left alone. After making sure it's benign, there are some simple ways to effectively eliminate dark spots in your skin. For some, simply applying creams and sun block might work. For others, they might require skin peelings. No matter what, it is best to consult with your dermatologists.
Need help with dark spots on your skin?
Here are simple tips on how to get rid of those persistent dark spots.

1. Use sunscreen daily with SPF 15 or higher. It is always wise to block the sun that darkens and harms the skin. This will also minimize your risk of acquiring skin cancer.
  2. Do not pick your pimples or zits since it can result in permanent scarring.
  3. Pick up a product that contains mild hydroquinone since it is the main ingredient in most skin bleaches. If you cannot tolerate hydroquinone, try other skin brighteners. Hydroquinone is usually used with glycolic acid and tretinoin.

Always remember that skin bleaching is not instant. It may take you three months to a year to fade the darkened skin depending on your skin tone. Moreover, try not to abuse your skin. If you have persistent skin problems like acne that leave scars, treat them immediately and stop the cycle.

Also remember that prevention is always better than cure.
Are you ready to get rid of the dark spots on your skin? Did you know that some over-the-counter skin lighteners can actually darken certain skin? We've reviewed the popular dark spot skin creams and learned which ones worked and which ones didn't.

This product did the same for me... my skin turned red. 

I gave up on the product, then someone mentioned to me to moisturize before I apply the cream... so at night I wash, moisturize (wait a few minutes), then apply a thin coat of the cream over my affected areas.

I've done this for a week and it has done miracles for my pigmentation. 

Good luck!

Ps.  This is what I use:

Originally Posted by Piper212 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have some dark spots on my face that I got once when I spent the day out in the sun and didn't have enough protection. ( I dread that day every time I look in the mirror).  I have been to a couple dermatologists that have prescribed me Hydroquinone which made my skin very red so I stopped using it. Is there any other remedy that might help the dis-coloration disappear once and for all?
Also, I always use 60 spf now on my face, however when its a hot day outside, I feel my skin getting hot and burning in the area where the spots are. Does anyone know why this happens?

I have the same problem with dark spots on my face cause by pimples... looks so ugly really. I am trying to use a natural remedy (combination of lemon, honey and cucumber) for a couple of day now! Just wondering if this is effective?

Yes really we have to take care of skin and we should do cleansing of skin daily so as to maintain skin good and beautiful looking.

I very recently purchased a 20% salicylic acid peel from Amazon and have had beyond excellent results with it. Amazon has many peel products, all with different types of acids. They are extremely affordable and are the same peels which are apparently used by dermatologists. Check the TCA peel, the BHA+ (salicylic plus other acids), the 30% salicylic acid peel, the glycolic acid and lactic acid peels, etc. One company actually lists which peels are most effective for different types of skin issues in their product descriptions. I've been using different acids for many years but have had major problems with my skin this winter. This product not only eliminated my hormonal acne in the past week, but has also made all scars, sun spots, freckles and other discoloration disappear. I've never tried any other acid products which are this effective, this quickly. Or for this ridiculously low price. They also get extremely high ratings by people who have purchased them from Amazon. I myself am ordering several more of these products. The salicylic acid actually doesn't make my skin visibly peel, but it obviously is shedding layers of damaged skin. I've got no actual flaking or anything else, though, so no 'down time' as with some others. But some of the other peels will make your skin 'frost' and peel off over the period of a week or so. Those ones are much more intense and require only about a minute in contact with the skin. They're very easy to use. If you don't want to have any peeling it flaking, go with the salicylic acid. It's still very very effective.

Just started the Obago Nu-derm and its amazing how fast my freckles are fading!! But you have to have to wear a sunscreen at least 35 spf or they will come right back!!

Latest posts

Back