Dark Spots

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there!

My name is Sleek and I'm an African American woman with DARK SPOTS on her face from acne.

I've tried Black Opel, and it was okay, but once I stopped using it, the dark patches came back.

They're on my cheeks and smaller ones other places.

Anyone know how I can clear my skin up? I'm tired of having to use foundation... at least with so much coverage.

Someone told me that Proactive has a lightning gel that is pretty good. Anyone here tried it?

Thanks!

Id say my best idea is to go to a dermatologist,they would know what is best for your skin.Hopefully someone on here will have some tips for you,wish you luck
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Sleek Hi there!My name is Sleek and I'm an African American woman with DARK SPOTS on her face from acne.

I've tried Black Opel, and it was okay, but once I stopped using it, the dark patches came back.

Anyone know how I can clear my skin up? I'm tired of having to use foundation... at least with so much coverage.

Someone told me that Proactive has a lightning gel that is pretty good. Anyone here tried it?

Thanks!

Hi Sleek. I have the same problem as you,right now what is working for me is a weekly 30% Glycolic Peel, daily use of Super Copper Serum and Emu oil on the spots that I would like to remove. I've heard good reviews of the Neutrogena Acne Fading Peel, and I just began that last nite, I will try to update my results in about 3 weeks.

Originally Posted by Sleek

Hi there!My name is Sleek and I'm an African American woman with DARK SPOTS on her face from acne.

Thanks!

Hi Sleek and welcome to Makeuptalk!

Originally Posted by divadee62 Hi Sleek. I have the same problem as you,right now what is working for me is a weekly 30% Glycolic Peel, daily use of Super Copper Serum and Emu oil on the spots that I would like to remove. I've heard good reviews of the Neutrogena Acne Fading Peel, and I just began that last nite, I will try to update my results in about 3 weeks. Great post diva,i knew one of our girlies would come thru
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Hi Sleek! Don't think we've met yet... but I'm Janelle from NY - nice to meet you!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I have spots/marks too from old blemishes... the only thing (besides time... and who the heck wants to wait!?!? lol) is Microdermabrasion. Helps get off all the old skin - and helps to finally make the marks disappear. I use Dermanew, and I must say... its been great! Kim (Username: Naturally) sells another brand called Epidermx... I'm sure she can fill you in on that too...
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Hi Sleek, my name is monniej from michigan and i think i may have something that will work. i'm also african american with acne prone skin and with this regime i can finally go out without foundation, just a little concealer and powder.

Cleanser-Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser - 2 times daily (most important step!)

Exfoliant - Stridex Pad for sensitive skin - 1 time daily (at night after washing your face)

Dr. Perricone Acne Gel - 1 time daily (at night after exfoliating) you may want to wait until you see some improvement from the cleanser if you don't have active breakouts.

Moisturizer - Sundari Neem and Avocado Moisturizer - 2 times daily

Supplement - GNC Hair, Skin and Nail Formula - 2 tabs daily

LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER! It worked for me!

Originally Posted by Sleek Hi there!My name is Sleek and I'm an African American woman with DARK SPOTS on her face from acne.

Thanks!

Oh Wow... thank you Monniej!

Sounds good. I have been cleansing my face with Burt's Bees Tomato soap, and it's okay ('cept during THAT time of the month). It doesn't dry my skin the way most acne soaps do.

Is that the Aveeno Foaming cleanser with SOY?? If so, I've tried it. It was okay for about 2 weeks, then my skin started getting rashy from it. It was something that happens to me with certain cleansers.

I'll try the rest though. It sounds GOOD. Does Dr. Perricone have a FADE gel? The name sound familiar. I'm thinking that I saw it in Essence magazine.

Thanks to all for your help. I think I'm going to enjoy posting here!!

you're so welcome Sleek. yes i think that the foaming cleanser does have soy, so be careful - you don't want to make the problem worse. what are you using for a moisturizer?

below is the link for dr. perricone. good luck and keep me posted.

http://www.nvperriconemd.com/templat...F2E361BC59D987

Originally Posted by Sleek Oh Wow... thank you Monniej! Sounds good. I have been cleansing my face with Burt's Bees Tomato soap, and it's okay ('cept during THAT time of the month). It doesn't dry my skin the way most acne soaps do.

Is that the Aveeno Foaming cleanser with SOY?? If so, I've tried it. It was okay for about 2 weeks, then my skin started getting rashy from it. It was something that happens to me with certain cleansers.

I'll try the rest though. It sounds GOOD. Does Dr. Perricone have a FADE gel? The name sound familiar. I'm thinking that I saw it in Essence magazine.

Thanks to all for your help. I think I'm going to enjoy posting here!!

Originally Posted by Naturally divadee ..isn't that super copper serum and emu oil the best? I need to get more Emu oil ..that stuff is really nice ..use lightly myself..but love it. I love my Super Cop and Emu oil. Granted when I finally figured out what emu oil was, I was taken aback. LOL but I keep using it!

I personally use Joey NY Pure Pores Moisturizer and Toner in One. I believe it has glycolic acid in it, plus using regular moisturizers made my skin feel more like and oil slick. When I had stitches I used Vitamin E oil on my scar and you can barely tell it's even there (I'm mixed with skin that hyperpigments way too easily). I also heard Mederma works for scars too.

Originally Posted by blaquepooky Where can I get Emu Oil, I've been wanting to try it but I have no clue as to where to get it. I got mine locally from a whole foods store. You might want to try their first. If you have no success, you can easily find it for a good price on ebay or at the following site www.platinumskincare.com But locally or ebay will probably be cheaper than Platinum even without the shipping.

Hi Sleek!

I'll share some of my experiences with you...

I've got fair skin, not pimple prone at all and I 'really' look after skin, so my only vice are my 'age spots' or 'sun spots'. All in all, i've tried so many over-the-counter creams (mostly containing some sort of peeling agent, e.g. Salicylic Acid and Hydroquinone). None of the, really worked to 'fade' any of my spots.

So! i got fed up with spending all that money for nothing
icon_evil.gif
and finally consulted a dermatologist. she explained to me that there is no real way to 'bleach' existing spots (which is increased amount of melanin on the skin), the only way is to:

1. refresh the skin

2. stop future melanin from forming.

So, she first prescribed me Retreive (in America its called Renova, I think. It's also known as Tretinoin (or Vitamin A)). it is prescription only and it must be used with caution. I only use a pea size amount on my spots every night and wash it off the next day.

you will PEEL where ever you've apllied it. but instead of trying to scrub off the flaky skin, try using Sorbelene during the day. (Its soo cheap!) Its simple moisturiser instead of the expensive ones loaded with other chemicals that might interfere with my self-induced sensitive skin (make sure its un-perfumed). - Again from experience, my baby brother suffered from severe Eczema, and after all the creams and potions (not to mention $$$$), we went back to the basics - Sorbelene and simple forms of cortizone.

Also. sunscreen is essential as you will be easily burned (doesn't matter what colour skin you have). Basically this is the first step in 're-surfacing' the skin. it basically accelerate the natural skin resurfacing process.

After a month, I'm suppose to stop and get another cream. The new cream contains a higher solution of hydroquinone (which inhibits new melanin formation - step 2) and other ingredients. My dermo made up the solution herself, so it has to be made by a compound chemist, i.e. from the scratch, freshly packed in a tube.

Hydroquinone over 2% concentration must be prescription only (by law in australia). Mine has 5%.

The Most Important - RESULT???

Well, this is my last week of 'retreive' and i've already seen fading on my more pronounced spots. So i'll get back to you on the hydroquinine solution. Plus since Retreive acts as a 'slow' peel, so I have pretty amazing skin at the moment.

I'm not a fan of harsh chemical peel (not to mention the downtime) i don't think i can handle seeing my skin all red and blotchy
icon_redface.gif
(I can be quite vain...He he). Plus, stripping a few layer off my skin won't stop the spots forming again after a couple months. so personally this is the method for me.

I know everything i've described above needs prescription, so see a dermo, it may be expensive for a 20 minute visit and talk. but i would have ended up spending the same amount on 'new' and 'innovative' creams anyways. the cream wasn't that expensive. Retrieve was AUS$34. which is what i would pay for a decent moisturiser.

WORD OF CAUTION!!!

Research have told me that Retrieve (Derivative of Vitamin A) or any Vitamin A product should not be used prior to, or during pregnancy as it has been associated with deformity of the child.

More info???

Retrieve is commonly prescribed to acne sufferers, again to promote skin resurfacing. so its often looks bad on acne before it'll look good.

Whew that was looong, Hope it helps!

and good luck!

Djbelle

Hi Sleek and welcome to MuT
icon_cheesygrin.gif
It's great to have you with us. I have some acne scars on my face which i use Epidermix for (Naturally's products) and i have found it great for giving a fantastic at home MD.

I think it would be a good idea for to got to a dermatologist and you too Trish, as they will be able to prescribe stronger more potent products than can be bought in the shops.

Ella Bach makes some very good but expensive lightening serum which is good for pigmentation marks.Avoid sunlight too as that can make the marks worse.

Good Luck and please let us know what you decided to do.

djbelle that is a fantastic post and so helpful, thank you!

Another rec for the Epidermx. I love this stuff and my acne scars have faded after continued use. I use it twice a week. It leaves my skin so smooth. I am also finding another use for Epidermx. I have been using it on my legs to get rid of ingrowns and it is working great!

After reading this the other day I went online to platinumskincare.com. I ordered a 30% glycolic peel , emu oil, copper serun and glycolic cream. The package came the very next day. How funny that Platinum Skincare actually has a store and is located in New Baltimore, Michigan which is 15 Minutes from my house. Usually whenever I order anything it has to come all the way from the westcoast of the US. Anyway, I haven't used any of it yet because I'm kind of nervous to. Did you experience much redness or peeling with the peel. What is your regimen? Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by divadee62 I got mine locally from a whole foods store. You might want to try their first. If you have no success, you can easily find it for a good price on ebay or at the following site www.platinumskincare.com But locally or ebay will probably be cheaper than Platinum even without the shipping.

you must always wear a sunscreen.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=502 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=124>
n_47.jpg

t_dem.gif
</TD><TD width=27>
plus.gif
</TD><TD width=124>
n_478.jpg

t_soin_j.gif
</TD><TD width=27>
plus.gif
</TD><TD width=124>
n_479.jpg

t_soin_n.gif
</TD><TD> </TD><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle width=124>Gentle Foaming Cleanser

AND

Toning Lotion (combination/oily) </TD><TD width=27> </TD><TD align=middle width=124>Bright Plus Hydrating Brightening Lotion SPF 20

AND

Bright Plus Total Brightening Essence </TD><TD width=27> </TD><TD align=middle width=124>Bright Plus Repairing Brightening Night Cream </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back