Darn sunscreen!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I just had to stop using my fourth sunscreen this year because of break outs. Fourth!!! I've tried Clinique, Mary Kay, Kiss My Face, and now Alba Botanica. The ones that didn't cause me to break out right away started doing it after a few weeks of use. I'm so frustrated. I really want to use sunscreen. I've never had this problem with moisturizer. Is there a particular ingredient or some reason why sunscreen would cause acne? (especially after a few weeks of use!) For those of you that are particularly sensitive to this type of acne, what do you use? Thanks all!

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl Well I just had to stop using my fourth sunscreen this year because of break outs. Fourth!!! I've tried Clinique, Mary Kay, Kiss My Face, and now Alba Botanica. The ones that didn't cause me to break out right away started doing it after a few weeks of use. I'm so frustrated. I really want to use sunscreen. I've never had this problem with moisturizer. Is there a particular ingredient or some reason why sunscreen would cause acne? (especially after a few weeks of use!) For those of you that are particularly sensitive to this type of acne, what do you use? Thanks all! I have sensitive skin also, and it seems everything breaks me out including sunscreen. What I've been doing is using my Proactiv Oil Free Moisture (I don't use the rest of the line anymore) which has an SPF15, with my mineral makeup, Jane Iredale's Amazing Base, which has SFP20 over it. It works really, really well for me..no breakouts, no sunburn. If necessary I just reapply my moisturizer. I just use my kids sunblock on my body.
P.S. I was just checking out the ingredients on my kid's Banana Boat sunscreen stick, which I put on their little faces. Castor Oil, Beeswax, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Cocoa Seed Oil, Methylparaben...YUCK!!! I think this is going in the trash!! I'm amazed they don't break out! Why do they have to put so much crap in our products?

confused.gif

My dermatologist recommended Coppertone's Oil Free sunscreen. I don't wear sunscreen on a regular basis, since I spend most of my day in the computer labs or doing homework lol, so I haven't worn it enough to see if it actually caused breakouts or not ... but you might try it out
wink.gif

Yeah I think you should try coppertones oil free sunscreen, I think it says on the label won't clog pores or cause breakouts. I like it, and I am really acne prone.

pr-Sunscreen-Coppertone_Oil_Free_Sunblock_Lotion_SPF_45-resized200.jpg

Originally Posted by pretty_pink13 Yeah I think you should try coppertones oil free sunscreen, I think it says on the label won't clog pores or cause breakouts. I like it, and I am really acne prone. I use it on my body, not on my face, but i have to say it is one of the best sunscreens available in US. very light and offers good protection (contains avobenzone (parsol) - uva protection)on my face I use vichy or la roche posay, designed specifically for face. you might give them a try. you can find them on ebay.

hi there....my pharmacist recommended hamiltons quadblock cream spf 30 apparently it has very high protection against UVA, UVB, UVC and IR while maintaining SPF of 30 after 4 hours water immersion...i've just started using that and i havent got any sun related burns so far (i sometimes spend whole days in the sun) the ingredients are octyl methoxy cinnamate 7.5%, 4 - methylbenzylidene camphor 4.0%, Titanium Dioxide 5.0%, phenoxyethanol 0.216%, imidurea 0.300%, total hydroxybenzoate esters 0.484%. the downside to that is that it leaves a whitish cast.

hope that helps

I use Ombrelle SPF 30 and I love it. It contains Mexoryl and Parsol 1789. Apparently, the Mexoryl is not approved by the FDA but is used here in Canada and Europe. People come over here to buy it. It is my fav hands down.

Have you tried Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer? My derm recommended it to me and I haven't broken out. I have combo skin with an oily t-zone so I need to beware of what I use. I don't normally wear sunscreen all over, but I do on my face. It's lightweight, too.

coppertone also makes a sunscreen called faces with an spf30 that is doesn't clog pores. i used that banana boat stuff and my skin freaked out. i wore the coppertone everyday for more than a week and no problems. i even started using it on my body when the other stuff broke me out. alittle pricely, but worth if you need a great sunscreen

Originally Posted by peekaboo I use Ombrelle SPF 30 and I love it. It contains Mexoryl and Parsol 1789. Apparently, the Mexoryl is not approved by the FDA but is used here in Canada and Europe. People come over here to buy it. It is my fav hands down. I agree... too bad FDA doesnt let us use the best chemical filters here in usa, such as mexoryl. people here do not realize that buying sunscreens in usa the uva protection is not as good as the products' descriptions indicate.

Thanks all for the suggestions!! I'll have to do some reaserch and try some of this stuff out. I'm starting to come off my no-buy so I think I'll have some money to try some products.

I just started during research on some of the stuff that's put in sunscreen and lotions & it's scary, so watch out. I use to always break out on my chest. It was like small red bumps but this year I tried Arbonne's sunscreen and I didn't break out. It was amazing. I used coppertone on my son and his face broke out. So make sure you use something that's oil free.
icon_redface.gif

neutrogena's dry touch sunscreen (spf 30) is great for the face, doesn't break me out, and leaves you with a dry matte look (not greasy and shiny). This stuff is really good and not that expensive. my friend told me she got a pack of 2 at Costco for under $10. I had already bought it at Target though
icon_frown.gif

Do you know SUNPLAY from Japan? It is very very light sunscreen liquid. Gentle to sensitive skin. Whenever I visit Japan, I always buy it. Currently it can be found at Froogle. I hope you will like it.

If you have severely sensitive skin, why don't you apply "FunPrese" before sunscreen? It strengthens sunscreen effect.
icon_cool.gif

I recently had a conversation with a cosmetic chemist about my breakouts caused by sunscreen. Chemically created sunscreens are HIGHLY comedogenic. She said stick to pure Zinc or Titanium Dioxide. These are minerals that block the sun and don't clog pores. It's hard to find but they do exist.
wink.gif

you might want to try ddf matte finish photo-age protection sunscreen. it is actually MATTE!! comes in an spf 30. i have recommended it to friends of mine and they all love it. doesn't make me break out at all. and it doesn't look like i am wearing sunscreen at all!

Latest posts

Back