Deciphering color descriptions of MAC

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a mac e/s question.........when reading through the descriptions you get when you roll your mouse over the color swatch when you are looking at Mac online......do you go by the description more....or the actual color swatch? because I find that sometimes they don't jive. Sometimes I look at the color and go " I wouldn't have called it peachy gold....." or whatever the case may be. I would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

Neither.. the swatches on the MAC site as SO bad. I just look through some of the girls notepads on here. They’ve pics of their palettes & you can see the colours much more clearer then! Trisha’s, Lizzy’s & Janelle’s notepads are a few I can name off hand.. There are lots more too! What e/s are you interested in & I’ll try and find pics for u!

Thanks.......I had a feeling that would be true. I have blue eyes and fair skin and am looking in three areas right now......the green family, the copper/bronze family .....and the violet/lavender family.

Originally Posted by Laura Neither.. the swatches on the MAC site as SO bad. I just look through some of the girls notepads on here. They’ve pics of their palettes & you can see the colours much more clearer then! Trisha’s, Lizzy’s & Janelle’s notepads are a few I can name off hand.. There are lots more too! What e/s are you interested in & I’ll try and find pics for u!

I agree with Laura... going by online pics from other girls would be the way to go. The color descriptions and swatches are so off on most sites.

Originally Posted by FeistyFemme I agree with Laura... going by online pics from other girls would be the way to go. The color descriptions and swatches are so off on most sites. Ditto, I also agree - have you checked Trisha's notepad ? Her camera takes wonderful and true to life pictures - you can't go wrong w/Trisha !!!
tongue.gif

yeah, trisha has the most mac eyeshadows out of all of us. i always try to reference shadows from her notepad. lol

i have pics in my notepad also, but not as many shadows as trisha. hope youfind the colors you're looking for.

i don't like trying to figure out colors online either
icon_sad.gif
. i don't know what all the colors are. i just know what blue, purple, green, pink, black, etc are. lol. i still don't know what color taupe falls under. hehehe

Yeah, I agree w/ the gals - notepads are SO much better to see them in real life. I can never tell with online pics - they should take real pictures instead!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I looked at the notepads, agreed strongly with you and ended up ordering 90.00 of nothing but MAC e/s to get a good foundation going. Man I may need a second and a third job..lol

Originally Posted by kerri Man I may need a second and a third job..lol Ha! You and me both Chick!
icon_redface.gif

The online pics aren't worth much, they overuse the word plum and dirty i think.

Originally Posted by kerri I have a mac e/s question.........when reading through the descriptions you get when you roll your mouse over the color swatch when you are looking at Mac online......do you go by the description more....or the actual color swatch? because I find that sometimes they don't jive. Sometimes I look at the color and go " I wouldn't have called it peachy gold....." or whatever the case may be. I would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

Oh and when i look for a picture i go to ebay that way you can see many different views of the item.

Originally Posted by Familyfamily The online pics aren't worth much, they overuse the word plum and dirty i think.

Originally Posted by Familyfamily Oh and when i look for a picture i go to ebay that way you can see many different views of the item. Yeah, ebay is good too - but make sure you look at AT LEAST 2 pics... I saw a pic of Electro Sky and bought it... and in her pic it looks like a light baby blue/aqua color... then I kept looking around, saw another person's pic of it, and saw that is a darker more bold 'crayon' color blue... oh well, its pretty - but it'll teach me to look around at more pics first!
icon_redface.gif

I go by Trisha's notepad.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by kerri I have a mac e/s question.........when reading through the descriptions you get when you roll your mouse over the color swatch when you are looking at Mac online......do you go by the description more....or the actual color swatch? because I find that sometimes they don't jive. Sometimes I look at the color and go " I wouldn't have called it peachy gold....." or whatever the case may be. I would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Yeah, ebay is good too - but make sure you look at AT LEAST 2 pics... I saw a pic of Electro Sky and bought it... and in her pic it looks like a light baby blue/aqua color... then I kept looking around, saw another person's pic of it, and saw that is a darker more bold 'crayon' color blue... oh well, its pretty - but it'll teach me to look around at more pics first!
icon_redface.gif
did you end up finding the blue shadow you wanted?

Latest posts

Back