Department Store Makeovers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dilemma of the Week:

My Department Store Makeover Left Me Looking Ridiculous

gradhlng.gif

Makeup artist Deborah Grayson solves

one beauty dilemma each week.

gradhlng.gif

I took advantage of a free makeup application offered at a high-end department store while visiting New York City, and I looked ridiculous afterward. Worse yet, I spent over $100 on cosmetics, because I felt pressured by the makeup artist. Needless to say, I ran right back to the hotel to scrub it all off.

I'm sorry you had such a rotten experience, but allow me to spill the beans here. Most of the folks working behind department store cosmetic counters aren't makeup artists; they're sales consultants. They do have the best intentions, but the fact is, they may not be properly trained in applying makeup for all skin tones and face shapes. Also, most of them work on a salary-plus-commission basis, so they're encouraged heavily to sell, sell, sell.

Here are a few tips to follow if you'd like to try the department store route with better results.

<LI>Rather than go to a brand, scan the floor for a makeup consultant whose style you admire. Chances are she'll apply your makeup in a similar manner.

<LI>Go to your favorite makeup counter and inquire about a resident makeup artist. Some of the more expensive lines will hire an expert to endorse their products.

<LI>Inquire about any special events or promotions where a professional makeup artist may be present. You might be asked to make an appointment in advance.

<LI>Have a consultation before any application begins, stressing what your needs are and what you're looking to achieve. Tell them you are not interested in buying that day, if that's the case.

<LI>If you're having the application in order to learn technique, be sure the consultant knows this, so that you'll be free to check the mirror periodically and ask questions about application, color choices and method.

<LI>Never allow yourself to be talked into purchasing a product you don't want. If you're invited for a free session, it should remain free <NOBR>--</NOBR> no strings attached.

<LI>Be aware of the consultant blending two or three types of foundation, lipstick or eye shadow to create a look. If she blends colors while applying them to your face, it's likely you won't be able to duplicate the look easily at home.

Don't be afraid to have the consultant stop if you're uncomfortable or to ask to remove the makeup she's applied. This is your right, and believe me, you're not going to hurt her feelings. You are only asserting your needs, which are of the utmost importance. After all, this is your face <NOBR>--</NOBR> not hers

Ha ha - I've had one of those bad makeovers. I wiped the lipstick right off as soon as I got away from the counter. The rest of my face wasn't so bad, but the lipstick was "ewww!" And I didn't buy a bit of it.
wink.gif

I did too.. I had a makeover at Estee Lauder back in Jan & it was TERRIBLE. My face was ORANGE & she put on a purple lipstick that looked ridiculous. Needless to say it was all WIPED off the moment i got home!

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Ha ha - I've had one of those bad makeovers. I wiped the lipstick right off as soon as I got away from the counter. The rest of my face wasn't so bad, but the lipstick was "ewww!" And I didn't buy a bit of it.
wink.gif
I had one too. I assumed that all of the girls were professional makeup artists or some such likeness. I went to get the makeover since I was having a particularly bad week and I thought if something made me feel pretty, I'd feel better and it would take my mind off of the bad stuff.When I got there, the girl was wearing super blue eyeshadow all over her entire eye. I told myself not to be judgemental and see what she could do for me. As I sat there, I wondered why this man (shopping with his wife) kept staring at me. It was already embarrassing enough sitting there getting makeup applied without anyone watching! LOL.

Well it turns out, he was staring for a good reason. The girl behind the counter painted all around my eyes with a blue eyeshadow exactly like the stuff she had on! LOL!! I looked like a mistake. Hahhaha. I went to the department store bathroom and washed it off with their hand soap (that's how bad I looked!). It turns out that the bad makeup job made me feel better. I got to laugh at myself and then I went out and bought a pretty lipstick at Garden Botanica (one that would not make me look like a clown).

Anyway... see this pic to see what the eyeshadow looked like:

newmutbanner.jpg

Oh my! I can totally relate, though I have to admit that I'm the one doing the makeovers...lol! I am a freelance m/a for local department store beauty events and I try really, really hard not to create a nightmare experience for my customers.
icon_wink.gif

From my experiences, here's some tips to get the best service for your needs:

If you're looking to learn a new m/u application trick, I suggest you go on a NON-event day. Events are not a good time to get solid one-on-one coaching. Usually a popular counter will be booked solid, leaving the artist to do your face quickly. You won't have time to thoroughly review what you've learned and yes, we probably create looks that only a makeup maven can recreate! AAAAND...you'll have to deal with added sales pitch. Those events have a target $$ to meet. On a regular weekday, the resident m/a is probably pretty bored and would love to kill some time with you.

Yes, look for a m/a that has a makeup style you admire. I would NEVER let Mimi do my eyes!!! aaaaack!! If you find the m/a is going about it all wrong, trust me, I doubt they'll be offended if you let them know. I know I appreciate it when I'm guided!

Not really regarding makeovers, but good advice anyhow: It really helps to develop loyalty with an S/A or two. Be consistently loyal to them (and of course be *very* nice) and they'll probably shower you with goodies. Before I started freelancing I was a repeat customer with one specific store's S/A. After a while she started giving me full-sized testers, loads of samples...etc.

Hope my advice helps someone!

mutgodzilla.gif
This wins the official
wordhot3.gif
post of the day! Right on!!!!!!!
hhfirtruk.gif

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Oh my! I can totally relate, though I have to admit that I'm the one doing the makeovers...lol! I am a freelance m/a for local department store beauty events and I try really, really hard not to create a nightmare experience for my customers.
icon_wink.gif

If you're looking to learn a new m/u application trick, I suggest you go on a NON-event day. Events are not a good time to get solid one-on-one coaching. Usually a popular counter will be booked solid, leaving the artist to do your face quickly. You won't have time to thoroughly review what you've learned and yes, we probably create looks that only a makeup maven can recreate! AAAAND...you'll have to deal with added sales pitch. Those events have a target $$ to meet. On a regular weekday, the resident m/a is probably pretty bored and would love to kill some time with you.

Yes, look for a m/a that has a makeup style you admire. I would NEVER let Mimi do my eyes!!! aaaaack!! If you find the m/a is going about it all wrong, trust me, I doubt they'll be offended if you let them know. I know I appreciate it when I'm guided!

Not really regarding makeovers, but good advice anyhow: It really helps to develop loyalty with an S/A or two. Be consistently loyal to them (and of course be *very* nice) and they'll probably shower you with goodies. Before I started freelancing I was a repeat customer with one specific store's S/A. After a while she started giving me full-sized testers, loads of samples...etc.

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Oh my! I can totally relate, though I have to admit that I'm the one doing the makeovers...lol! I am a freelance m/a for local department store beauty events and I try really, really hard not to create a nightmare experience for my customers.
icon_wink.gif

Oh my gosh!! Everything you said was right on. I worked for a cosmetic line and everything you say is so true.
icon_biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back