Depotting MAC e/s instructions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hotscrewdriver.jpg

after completing these steps your eye shadows are almost ready for a palette. you will probably want to clean off any excess glue - use something like "goo gone", mineral spirits, lighter fuel - but be careful not to get any on your eye shadow. You can purchase small magnets at craft stores but I like to use what's free - all those freebie "business card" type magnets you get from pizza places, etc. They are the perfect thickness and can be cut easily to size. I place a drop of super glue on the back of my pan and then affix the magnet to it. When dry I can label the magnet with a little sticker to indicate the color and then pop it right into my palette.

Hope that this helps!

Thanks. I bookmarked this page when I first saw it since I need to depot some of my e/s but I don't have a palette to put them in.

I have found everyone on this site so helpful that I am just doing my part in making this site a great one and be as helpful as I can be.

i alternate between the candle and screwdriver methods. i sometimes dont want to deal with a searingly hot pan after ive held it over a candle. on the other hand, the smell of hot melting plastic from a screwdriver is gross too.

i find both of these methods a lot easier and more reliable than baking or using a hair dryer.

i have two full 15 pans and a 4 pan, and i just got another 15 pan in the mail today. i cant wait to fill it up. i have 11 shadows that need a home.

I use the Hair Dryer method for depotting my shadows.

Follow steps 1, 2 & 3 of the candle method, then point a hairdryer at the e/s for 60 seconds & then follow step 5 of the candle method.. VOILA!

Originally Posted by Trisha Very helpful, but if any of you guys have a soldering iron, try that! It takes about 2 mins to depot! Follow steps 1-3, then push a hot soldering iron thru the back of the e.s and it pops straight out! I stole my Dad's soldering iron for depotting! x And MAC will still accept them with melted bottoms and holes?
icon_wink.gif
I tried to do it this morning... I used my lighter and a small jewelers screwdriver... and almost stabbed my Retrospeck !!!
eek.gif
It looked like the shadow was starting to crack - so I panicked and put it back in the pot
icon_neutral.gif
Do I need magnets once I take them out? Or will the little metal pans hold them to the palette?
redface.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 And MAC will still accept them with melted bottoms and holes?
icon_wink.gif
I tried to do it this morning... I used my lighter and a small jewelers screwdriver... and almost stabbed my Retrospeck !!!
eek.gif
It looked like the shadow was starting to crack - so I panicked and put it back in the pot
icon_neutral.gif
Do I need magnets once I take them out? Or will the little metal pans hold them to the palette?
redface.gif
theyll take them if youre melted and deformed. trust me. lol. half the time i dont even try to wedge the inner e/s plastic piece back in.
if youre starting to crack the e/s from the pressure of prying, the glue isnt melted enough yet. it will make a distinct cracking sound when it lets go.

i dont have magnets on most of my pans. they hold tight enough for me.

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse theyll take them if youre melted and deformed. trust me. lol. half the time i dont even try to wedge the inner e/s plastic piece back in.
if youre starting to crack the e/s from the pressure of prying, the glue isnt melted enough yet. it will make a distinct cracking sound when it lets go.

i dont have magnets on most of my pans. they hold tight enough for me.

Thanks hun! I actually finally got one out... I got it out easier w/ my cuticle nippers than the little screwdriver. I think the screwdriver was bending in the side of the pan and also making it crack the e/s. I let the glue cool off - and scraped off what I could so that it wouldn't glue itself to my palette, but it seems to be ok... it stays in, but I think it might pop out if moved or turned on its side or upside down. So I might just get a small magnet strip anyway - if anything to at least keep the glue from sticking to the bottom of the pallette.
icon_wink.gif

Ok... managed to do 6 - so I can get a lipstick when I go there today!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Some came out easier than others though... I dont' think my "espresso' likes me very much anymore after I violated the hell out of it..
icon_redface.gif
I used tweezers to hold the little plastic part w/ the pan in it... held my lighter under it for a few... then just pryed a tiny bit w/ a little jeweler's screwdriver so that I can finally take cuticle nippers and lift it up...
icon_cool.gif
There's still a bunch of glue on the back... so I just left it on my bed until it cooled... and the glue wasn't so tacky - then popped them in. Oh, do they sell stickers or something to put on the lid so you can write the colors down? I saw this online somewhere, but I didn't know if there were special things.. or if they were just regular round label/stickers... and just use pencil to write em' in?
icon_wink.gif
oh well... I'm off to MAC... hopefully they'll take them back w/ 2 pots not closing because I think I melted the tabs a bit too much... WHOOPS!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't worry about them not closing Janelle, they'll still defo take them back! Congrats on your 1st depotting experience by the way!! So what lippie are you gonna get or are you waiting to try a few out at the counter first?

Originally Posted by Laura Don't worry about them not closing Janelle, they'll still defo take them back! Congrats on your 1st depotting experience by the way!! So what lippie are you gonna get or are you waiting to try a few out at the counter first? Probably a light pink... as usual... LOL But there were a few I saw online that look nice too - nudish pinks & peaches... probably just going to go there and see what they have. I can never rely on online pics
icon_rolleyes.gif
But thanks for my 'congrats'!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I've a tip for the lippies, don't buy any MATTE lippies. They are such a horrible formula
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Laura I've a tip for the lippies, don't buy any MATTE lippies. They are such a horrible formula
biggrin.gif
Thanks chickie! good to know. I usually don't wear mattes b/c I like the look of a gloss or shine to it... but now I know in case I ever get into a matte phase again!
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Ok... managed to do 6 - so I can get a lipstick when I go there today!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Some came out easier than others though... I dont' think my "espresso' likes me very much anymore after I violated the hell out of it..
icon_redface.gif
I used tweezers to hold the little plastic part w/ the pan in it... held my lighter under it for a few... then just pryed a tiny bit w/ a little jeweler's screwdriver so that I can finally take cuticle nippers and lift it up...
icon_cool.gif
There's still a bunch of glue on the back... so I just left it on my bed until it cooled... and the glue wasn't so tacky - then popped them in. Oh, do they sell stickers or something to put on the lid so you can write the colors down? I saw this online somewhere, but I didn't know if there were special things.. or if they were just regular round label/stickers... and just use pencil to write em' in?
icon_wink.gif
oh well... I'm off to MAC... hopefully they'll take them back w/ 2 pots not closing because I think I melted the tabs a bit too much... WHOOPS!
icon_rolleyes.gif
i peel the sticker off the bottom of the pot and stick it on the pan. its a tiny bit big, but the edges will fold up around the pan and stick tight.
you can find tiny, thin round magnets for your pans if you dont want to bother with the square strips.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 And MAC will still accept them with melted bottoms and holes?
icon_wink.gif
eek.gif
icon_neutral.gif
redface.gif
I remember my first depotting experience - i was really scared of damaging the e/s! I managed to do them all in the end, and ended up getting about 5 lippies!!
As for them taking the pots back - i have had a few strange comments from the MA's. They have asked me how i've managed to depot them, and are the e/s still intact. Little do they know about the wonders of depotting!!

Are these your pics or someone elses?
icon_cool.gif
If they are yours we can make it a sticky. If they are someone elses, then have we permission?

Originally Posted by Mariposa

I saw this on another site and thought I would share it. (Perhaps a mod could make it a sticky?)
Giving Credit where Credit is Due

Candle Method:

1. using a small knife like an x-acto, place the tip of the blade right into the little split in the pot​

2. close up of split: insert the tip of the blade in this area and gently rotate​

3. the smaller inner pot will "pop" right out of the larger outer pot​

4. using tweezers hold the edges of the plastic pot over a candle (or lighter) until the bottom is soft and melted​

5. working over a soft towel slide the tip of your x-acto knife in between the pan and the plastic pot​

6. if you melted the bottom enough the pan will either lift right out or fall out on its own - caution the pan is still hot!​
candle.jpg

Hot Screwdriver Method:​

1. find the area just below where the threads start on the inner pot​

2. using the tip of your blade gently pry apart the two sections​

3. if you can get them only partially separated you may need to gently pull them apart with your hands​

4. during the separating portion you should leave the tip of a screwdriver to sit on some for of heating element​

5. using gentle pressure with the hot screwdriver start pressing on the center back of the inner pot​

6. take your time - do not force it - the heat will do the work for you. you may need to take a break and re-heat your screwdriver also​

hotscrewdriver.jpg

after completing these steps your eye shadows are almost ready for a palette. you will probably want to clean off any excess glue - use something like "goo gone", mineral spirits, lighter fuel - but be careful not to get any on your eye shadow. You can purchase small magnets at craft stores but I like to use what's free - all those freebie "business card" type magnets you get from pizza places, etc. They are the perfect thickness and can be cut easily to size. I place a drop of super glue on the back of my pan and then affix the magnet to it. When dry I can label the magnet with a little sticker to indicate the color and then pop it right into my palette.

Hope that this helps!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Are these your pics or someone elses?
icon_cool.gif
If they are yours we can make it a sticky. If they are someone elses, then have we permission?
They are someone else's and I did ask for her permission. Her name is Sarah and she posts on another board that I belong to. I told her about MUT so hopefully she will join.

Oh ok, I see her email. Lets hope she joins up
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Mariposa

They are someone else's and I did ask for her permission. Her name is Sarah and she posts on another board that I belong to. I told her about MUT so hopefully she will join.

Great post, Marisol! I read this a few months ago before depotting for the first time. LOL, but I usually end up melting a nice hole into the bottom and just pushing the pan out. VERY easy that way.
icon_biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back