Designer Duds on eBay - Glam or Scam?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When that designer top is listed "NWT, without tags", is it a designer dud or crud?

A majority of eBay sellers are listing items with designer brand names at excellent prices. They list the item as "new without tags". Some of them claim to be "cleaning their closets".

To the average buyer, "new without tags" translates to "new without store/price tags".

Beware! To the seller, this means the brand and care tags are NOT on the item. Whether they are removing them or whether the item is a knock off, I don't know. All I know is I could find NO evidence of ANY tag on the item I purchased. So be very careful when you are purchasing something marked "new without tags" on eBay - you may want to contact the seller first!

~Kelly~

Dont you just hate scammers.. Any auction thats listed like that i completely blank it. If its genuine then the sellers will have no problem leaving the tags on. The reason they're off is because they were never there in the first place.

So rowantree, were you ripped off?

Ooooh, careful on ebay when it comes to "designer" or "authentic" because even alot of the NWT(new with tags) are fakes...I know a girl who was sooooo excited about this Gucci purse she had bought. The seller even says "guaranteed authentic merchandise or your money back"(of course there is a time frame to return) , but when she showed me I could tell it was fake.

I once asked a seller point blank "is this an authentic item?" and she replied "as far as I can tell it is." What kind of answer is that?! Needless to say I never bought that item.

How can you be sure though? That is the question. I see alot of designer fake jeans. Usually the Seven for all mankind. You can tell they are fake. But if they still have the designer tags sewn on them then are they authentic?

I can usually tell by the type of tags they have on them...another good way to tell is by the stitching, or the fabric and the lining, or even the details like straps or pockets. You really have to study up on the real thing before you go to buy anything on ebay. I'm just such a designer junkie that I can spot a fake instantly. There are alot of really good fakes and I'm sure that even some of the sellers can't tell the difference. I'm sure there are some sellers who genuinely think their product is real when it's not, but for the most part most of it is fake. Even alot of the stuff going for a few hundred dollars isn't real.

Originally Posted by Laura Dont you just hate scammers.. Any auction thats listed like that i completely blank it. If its genuine then the sellers will have no problem leaving the tags on. The reason they're off is because they were never there in the first place.
So rowantree, were you ripped off?

I can't say I was ripped off, because the top I bought is fantastic. The quality is good and I got an incredible deal on it. The seller listed it as "KITSON". When I told her that Kitson isn't a brand, it's a store, she backed down & then refused to tell me the real brand. Is it authentic? Probably not, but I paid less than a Gap shirt or even an Old Navy one! FYI, eBay refuses to police these types of sellers in ANY way. I had explained to eBay that "NWT without tags" should mean "new without price tags" and not "new without labels". The stuff is selling, eBay is making $$ and they don't care if people are getting ripped off without even knowing it.

Some stuff on there is really great, and if you don't mind not having that label but just want some great looking tops for cheap, I'd say it's worth it. But I'd be SUPER pissed if I bought Seven jeans only to find out they were fake, which is why I refuse to buy jeans on eBay! Gotta say though, that my sister sells a lot of James jeans on there & they are 100% authentic...she gets them at sales & then resells them.
smile.gif

IMHO, if you're a connoisseur of the brand you are seeking on Ebay you may be able to easily spot fakes. However, if you are a connoisseur and on a budget you will learn to let go. I think that the majority of people (in the US) have no idea whether your Louis or Gucci or Dior are real. I love Louis and Dior (that's why they were examples), but after finding the possibilities of savings I could have had, I wonder.....who really cares how much I spent in this purse because of 4 to 5 letters that "make" the brand. For example I bought an Elie Tahari top....it looked of her style, but I could find no image on the site from current or past collections, but I still bought it. I love it!! And that is the only thing that matters. Replicas of handbags are a very touchy subject, I understand, but in the long run, you have to wonder what else you could have afforded had you settled.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,

Melissa

Melissa,

You are so right! Although some of the expensive designer stuff is worth it, I don't think most is. I have a very expensive pair of Chanel sunglasses that - please forgive me, Coco - are a total piece of crap! ROFLMAO! Some designer purses are worth it only because they're built to last, so I have some classic bags & then buy the latest fad styles super cheap (I get a lot of compliments on my $8 Bath & Body Works bag)!!!!!

Back