Destiny's Child Wins Lady of Soul Award

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Destiny's Child copped the award for best group single on Wednesday night to jump-start the 2005 Lady of Soul Awards.

The supergroup was not in attendance, but presenter and "America's Next Top Model" winner Eva Pigford accepted the award for the single "Soldier" on the group's behalf. The group bested nominees Nina Sky, the Pussycat Dolls and Xscape.

Ciara, Amerie, Fantasia and Destiny's Child were up for multiple honors at the ceremony, with special honoree Aretha Franklin set to appear.

Host and R&B star Toni Braxton started the night with a sexy performance, wearing a floor-sweeping white fur coat, which she dropped to reveal a slinky, white, one-piece bathing suit underneath.

Teen crunk&B sensation Ciara, along with Braxton and singer Brian McKnight, hosted the ceremony, which will be syndicated for broadcast later this month. Winners were decided by 1,600 voters, including artists and radio station representatives.

Soul diva Franklin was to receive the 2005 Lena Horne Award for outstanding career achievements and join Stevie Wonder for a duet.

Amerie, whose "1 Thing" was a summertime hit, was to receive the Aretha Franklin Award for entertainer of the year, to be presented by Franklin herself.

Ciara, who lost out at last week's World Music Awards, was vying for best new artist along with "American Idol" chanteuse Fantasia. Ciara also collaborated with Missy Elliott on "Lose Control," a nominee in the dance cut and music video categories, competing against Destiny's Child, Amerie and Ciara's own "1,2 Step."

Ciara's dance jam "Goodies" faced off with tunes by Amerie, Fantasia and Alicia Keys for song of the year.

Destiny's Child, a big winner at the World Music Awards for "Destiny Fulfilled," was also up for best group album, with sister act Nina Sky as the soon-to-split-up trio's main competition.

Before the show, celebs reflected on the devastating aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans and surrounding areas along the Gulf Coast.

Wonder, in a patchwork blue jacket, touched his chest and said "my heart is heavy" for Katrina survivors.

Amerie, in a gorgeous red and white Valentino gown, said, "The bottom line was that it took a long time" for aid to reach survivors.

awwww man i hate i missed it. i didn't even know it was coming on.
icon_sad.gif

Back