Do any of you cut/trim your own hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to start trimming my own hair, because I feel going to the saloon just for a trim is wasting $$. Anyone who does this, what sissors do you use? I've heard that not using quality scissors can cause more split ends? And if you don't cut but are a stylist or a hair care guru know and know about this subject, what sissors would you recommend?
confused.gif

Originally Posted by shiso I want to start trimming my own hair, because I feel going to the saloon just for a trim is wasting $$. Anyone who does this, what sissors do you use? I've heard that not using quality sissors can cause more split ends? And if you don't cut but are a stylist or a hair care guru know and know about this subject, what sissors would you recommend?
confused.gif
I like scissors by Ninja. I've been using them since beauty school & still do. They are comfortable to use and cut great! (Also come in many sizes & grip configurations) But as far as trimming your own hair.... well, that depends. Honestly I haven't seen people get a good straight line when they do it themselves - especially in the back - and even more so if you have layers. Bangs are ok to do yourself, as well as angles that frame the face. But hair in the back of your head is hard to reach, and pulling it to the side to cut it can leave it uneven. Depending on your style, you might just be able to have someone cut straight across the back for you where you can't reach. But most salons offer lower prices for just regular in-between cut trims.
smile.gif

Do not attempt to trim your own hair unless you know what you are doing.

Even a cheap chain-salon trim would be better than a hack-job at home.

Many an expensive cut has been layed to waste by the over-zealous at-home bang trim gone awry!

Get a hairdresser friend to do it - or go to a beauty school (at your own risk).

If you simply must trim your own hair get the right equipment, good lighting and LARGE mirrors to see in the back.

And err on the side of taking JUST A LITTLE off - you can always trim more - but you can't ever trim it LESS.

Just mho.

when i had bangs i used to cut them myself but no i do not cut my own hair. my brother the stylist does my hair.

Originally Posted by shiso I want to start trimming my own hair, because I feel going to the saloon just for a trim is wasting $$. Anyone who does this, what sissors do you use? I've heard that not using quality scissors can cause more split ends? And if you don't cut but are a stylist or a hair care guru know and know about this subject, what sissors would you recommend?
confused.gif
I cut my own bangs. I have a friend I went to beauty school with that cuts the back for me. I love the ICE tempered scissors and the Marianna scissors.

Anita

i don't cut my hiar, but i do trim my split ends. lol. when i'm bored, i'll cut them using little scissors. split ends bother me sooooo freaking much!

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 i don't cut my hiar, but i do trim my split ends. lol. when i'm bored, i'll cut them using little scissors. split ends bother me sooooo freaking much! I have my "Split Ender" LOL (It's made by the same company that makes the Revo stlyer - the roating spin brush) It works, ok - nothing like a real cut... but it takes care of the splits inbetween so I attempt to let my hair grow.
wink.gif

I just start snipping off split ends whenever I'm bored as well. I made an attempt 2-3 times in the past to cut my own hair just out of fun. I ended up creating a disaster out of my hair. since then i've never tried it on my own.

I've never cut my own hair but i let my friend once like last year and we used regular scissors lol and um it didn't turn out to nice.. My Cousin however has like WAY curly hair and she cuts her own hair I can't tell you what kind of scissor she uses tho

If you want to save money, many salons have student nights and will cut your hair for a cheaper (or even free) rate. I got my last haircut (for free) that way: I was riding the subway home and an assistant stylist from bumble & bumble walked up to me and told me that she was training there and they were having a "long hair" class and she needed a "head of hair" and asked me to come in. You just have to be open for a change, but for me the cut didn't end up being drastic. My old boss had a similar thing happen for her last hair cut (but it was at Frederic Fekkai). newyorkmetro.com lists salons that have student nights if you're in the New York City area. Some of them even offer good hours to come in (way before work or after work, rather than during lunch hour).

The weird thing is is that I have a bit of a fear of hairdressers (when I was 7 a hairdresser tried to cut my bangs and she cut them and my eyelid and it hurt like crazy, then when she finished I had the same bangs as "Shemp" from the "3 Stooges"), so I try to avoid salons. Most of the time, since my hair is on the longer side (lower back), I just cut my own hair. What I do is part it down the middle, then pull it to the back and hold it in my left fist and make one big cut holding the scissors in my right hand. Then, I divide it into the right and left side, bring them to the front and even them out. Everyone says I get it perfectly straight. The scissors I use are Gingher Tailor's Points (I sew, so those are sewing scissors), which are designed to cut through 7 layers of leather so it's easy to cut through a chunk of hair.

Originally Posted by SamanthaBNYC If you want to save money, many salons have student nights and will cut your hair for a cheaper (or even free) rate. I got my last haircut (for free) that way: I was riding the subway home and an assistant stylist from bumble & bumble walked up to me and told me that she was training there and they were having a "long hair" class and she needed a "head of hair" and asked me to come in. You just have to be open for a change, but for me the cut didn't end up being drastic. My old boss had a similar thing happen for her last hair cut (but it was at Frederic Fekkai). newyorkmetro.com lists salons that have student nights if you're in the New York City area. Some of them even offer good hours to come in (way before work or after work, rather than during lunch hour). The weird thing is is that I have a bit of a fear of hairdressers (when I was 7 a hairdresser tried to cut my bangs and she cut them and my eyelid and it hurt like crazy, then when she finished I had the same bangs as "Shemp" from the "3 Stooges"), so I try to avoid salons. Most of the time, since my hair is on the longer side (lower back), I just cut my own hair. What I do is part it down the middle, then pull it to the back and hold it in my left fist and make one big cut holding the scissors in my right hand. Then, I divide it into the right and left side, bring them to the front and even them out. Everyone says I get it perfectly straight. The scissors I use are Gingher Tailor's Points (I sew, so those are sewing scissors), which are designed to cut through 7 layers of leather so it's easy to cut through a chunk of hair.

Great info! You can also check out beauty schools... we used to have "Customer Service" Friday's... and all cuts were really cheap. PS.. they don't let these events happen until the students are almost graduated, so you usually don't have to be afraid.. lol
wink.gif

I keep my bangs on the longer side, but since they seem to grow faster than I need my hair trimmed up, I will trim my bangs sometimes!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I like scissors by Ninja. I've been using them since beauty school & still do. They are comfortable to use and cut great! (Also come in many sizes & grip configurations) But as far as trimming your own hair.... well, that depends. Honestly I haven't seen people get a good straight line when they do it themselves - especially in the back - and even more so if you have layers. Bangs are ok to do yourself, as well as angles that frame the face. But hair in the back of your head is hard to reach, and pulling it to the side to cut it can leave it uneven. Depending on your style, you might just be able to have someone cut straight across the back for you where you can't reach. But most salons offer lower prices for just regular in-between cut trims.
smile.gif

i agree
claps.gif
!

I trim my split ends too, like others said. I actually bought some barber shears at the drugstore, b/c I had heard it is not good to cut them with regular scissors, b/c they are usually dull and can cause more. But I still sometimes use regular scissors, when I dont have them with me. I would never trim my hair though.

Can you say "disaster" ? I have only tried to trim my own bangs and what a disaster that was. I don't cut my hair that often but I'm always going for bang trims. I hate my bangs, I wish I knew someone who knew how to do them for me really well.

Originally Posted by spaflam Do not attempt to trim your own hair unless you know what you are doing.Even a cheap chain-salon trim would be better than a hack-job at home.

Many an expensive cut has been layed to waste by the over-zealous at-home bang trim gone awry!

Get a hairdresser friend to do it - or go to a beauty school (at your own risk).

If you simply must trim your own hair get the right equipment, good lighting and LARGE mirrors to see in the back.

And err on the side of taking JUST A LITTLE off - you can always trim more - but you can't ever trim it LESS.

Just mho.

AMEN!! I used to cut my own hair but looking back at pictures I see the imperfections. I'm really picky about my hair now. I don't even like it right now and I JUST got it cut.

oh me? i just simply use whatever scissors i could grab and trimm my fly aways..... no wonder i have frizzy hair.. but id go to the salon to get a hair spa often

my sister cuts her own hair (like bangs and stuff) im way too afraid to go near my hair with sissors by myself. so i just get it trimmed like every 6-8 weeks.

Latest posts

Back