do any of you keep mice as pets?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
id like to have a pet thats small but still needs lots of love and attention. i hear that its best to get at least three so they have friends. true/false?

ive read that they only like for a few years, and i was wondering how well you have dealt with the loss of a mouse. how did the other mice take it?

I dunno about Mice, but when I was younger in junior high, I used to raise rats. I did a rather large science project on them tracking thier growth, food intake etc. Bear in mind I was onlin 12. But I did win first prize
wink.gif

Anyhow, they were very affectionate, but smelly LOL

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse

id like to have a pet thats small but still needs lots of love and attention. i hear that its best to get at least three so they have friends. true/false?
ive read that they only like for a few years, and i was wondering how well you have dealt with the loss of a mouse. how did the other mice take it?

We've never had pet mice but we have had our share of hamsters and gerbils, the only time that we ever had 2 at the same time was when we had 2 male hamsters, we didn't know they were both males when they were given to us, one of them was just so brutal with the other that we had to seperate them. I found an article on pet mice that might help you, it pretty much says that 2 females together are your best bet.

http://www.miceandrats.com/miceas.htm

I had gerbils (kind of like mice just a little bit bigger and have hairy tailes) growing up. I had two males. I didn't know the sex when I got them but found out later after they had a fight and the other one ended up dying. I learned that they can get into a fight and injure each other so badly that they can die. After the other one died the other died shortly after. My friend had them too and the same thing happened to hers. One of her gerbils was paralyzed from the waist down and died and the other died shortly after.

No way Jose.. I'm sorry but i just hate all mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters. My sister has a hamster a few years back and she put him under my blanket while i was asleep. I'll never forget it.. I almost died of shock. I'm shaking even thinking about it now!

ROFLMAO!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Laura

No way Jose.. I'm sorry but i just hate all mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters. My sister has a hamster a few years back and she put him under my blanket while i was asleep. I'll never forget it.. I almost died of shock. I'm shaking even thinking about it now!

I had a few baby mice (and 3 adult ones) that had burrowed their way into this pop-up camper we used to have. It was like 10 degrees & snowing, so I took them in. The were so cute... even though the babies were little hairless pink things for awhile, they grew up cute & fuzzy!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
They were all fine together, but my mother had enough after awhile & after they were all ok made me take them to the fields by my house & let them go. They were fun lil' pets
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I've had hamsters before too....

My house could be zoo with all the pets I've had!!!

so thats a yes to the mice then..well except for laura. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

thanks everyone, and thanks harleymom for the article.

i know i def dont want gerbils. my sisters have had a few, and theyre tempermental and not very nice. every single one has hated to be held. my sister actually has to put on a ski mitten to get it out of the cage because it bites. no matter how they try to condition them and hold them, theyre just mean.

BF doesnt really want a pet, but he would say yes to fish...uh, fish are hard to keep. even fresh water fish die at my hands. plus theyre expensive to set up, etc.

we had a puppy once, and i think thats why hes anti pets. mr scampers was posessed by the devil. he refused to be potty trained, he ate the sofa, and he bit the dickens out of me. i spent so much time with him trying to train him, and i did everything possible to condition him not to bite. it got to the point where we were fighting constantly about him, and i would cry all the time. we took him to a no kill shelter (after much debate and heartache) and he was adopted by a family with a farm.

my familys dog passed away this summer, and my family just isnt ready for another dog yet. i think mice would be the perfect short term pet for us. now i just have to convince BF.

I had rabbitts and a snake too! Snake was a 7ft. long Boa Consrictor... he was awesome! I wouldn't normally think that snakes could be 'friendly pets' but this one was... he would lay on you - let you hold him and walk around with him all day - you think he thought he was a dog or any other house pet.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

my sister got three white mice the other day, and one of them died already.
frown.gif
shes taking it pretty well, and she didnt have that much time to bond.

im thinking that maybe feeder mice arent good pets, because theyre not meant to really last to a ripe old age.

I had a mouse when i was 13 im 16 now! We put it in a Hampster cage and it escaped we for got it doesnt have a back bone! I WAS TERRIFIED and i was petrified of it, i was scared to do anything i dropt the food in 6inches over the top of the cage and nearly past out when my mate drop it and it run around the floor!

Feed them to snakes! jokes

I've only had experience with hamsters and that was one at a time. They'll live for about 2 years at the longest... which is hard when you are a little kid. It was so sad for me and my brother when our hamsters died.
icon_cry.gif
My parents backyard is like a hamster cemetary!

Have you considered getting a miniature or dwarf rabbit? SO cute, they require a lot of tender loving care and are indoor pets. Some rabbits live into their teens!

A Netherland dwarf

Rabbit_DwarfLop.jpg
A miniature lop

04.jpg
Another Netherland dwarf

Here's some links for bunnies in Indiana: http://islandgems.net/cgi-bin/links/...?query=Indiana

Anyways... just a suggestion!

thanks so much for the suggestion and the link! i think a rabbit might be a bit big, though... those pics are too cute!

i live in a second story apartment, and i just dont have the room. plus....bunny poop.

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse thanks so much for the suggestion and the link! i think a rabbit might be a bit big, though... those pics are too cute!
i live in a second story apartment, and i just dont have the room. plus....bunny poop.

I trained mine to use a litter box... LOL Actually, they pretty much will use it on their own if you put one nearby...
icon_cool.gif

someone should write a book about creative places to put a litter box if you live in an apartment. we have all hardwood floors, *except* for in the bathroom. eww. explain that one to me. anyways, litterboxes in the bathroom suck. theres just no good place ot put one unless you have a large laundry room.

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse someone should write a book about creative places to put a litter box if you live in an apartment. we have all hardwood floors, *except* for in the bathroom. eww. explain that one to me. anyways, litterboxes in the bathroom suck. theres just no good place ot put one unless you have a large laundry room. You could put it on a mat, on the floor... or they sometimes have these little hut like things that go over it - so you don't have an obvious litter box in the corner... LoL

great, then id have a damn hut in the corner. lol. our second tiny bedroom is a computer room, and our living room has a full sized dining table in it. flopsy would have to live in a closet.

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse great, then id have a damn hut in the corner. lol. our second tiny bedroom is a computer room, and our living room has a full sized dining table in it. flopsy would have to live in a closet. Then mice it is! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Ant farm maybe? LOL Mice are small enough - just watch out for metal wheels... they'll keep you up all night squeaking to high hell
icon_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back