Do brushes really make a difference

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like your powder brush, Do they make a difference, theres so many and I just saw a vid of someone using them, But do you notice the difference from a normal dusting brush that was just cheap bought, I dont own any fancy make brushes for my mu, and wondered is it worth it buying some?

I use a foundation brush I got from Avon and my dusting brush is big and its just cheap, cant even remember where from, the rest like eye, lip concealer are just cheap elizbeth ardens.

from my experience they make a big diffrence.

if your low on money, sonia kushak at target has awsome brushes for pretty cheap.

i dont know really

i used Castro brushes

its a mu brand in here and i didn't like them

i usually buy brushes at the $ store

but we have here a store that call "wow' and they have awesome brushes in 2$ i think to buy some of those

Yeah you can get some good brushes for a reasonable price. I was going to suggest Sonia Kushak as well. I also got a b*tchin liner brush and shadow blending brush at Sally for 3.99-4.99. My mac brushes are by far my favorite though. What I look for in a brush is bristles that don't fray out to the sides making for a wierd application, or fall out. My mac brushes are sturdy, but at the same time soooo soft. You wanna look for the right shape in a brush as well. For example I like medium firm rounded blush brush as opposed to a hard flat one which leaves a harsh line, or an overly big soft brush that just drops powder everwhere. A good kabuki is important to me for my mmu. You want an e/s brush that will pick up color and deposit it well, etc. I think what kind of brushes you use makes a huge difference if you are a brush person. But i mean sometimes for my e/s and stuff I'll throw my brushes down and use my fingers, just depends on whats easy for you.

I notice the different totally. When a MUA applies it and it looks good I think a lot is to do with the tools (brushes, etc.) that she uses. I just have crappy ones at home because they are so damn expensive, otherwise I would buy some nice ones. Buying them in a kit is probably a lot cheaper, from Sephora or something.

I think it's the texture of the brush, and usually high-end brushes have a nicer texture. The only synthetic brushes I ever liked were by a line called Tony&Tina, I think the brand is gone though.

Brushes do make a huge difference. They blend eyeshadow way better than a sponge applicator. Your blush goes on much nicer w/ out all the harsher lines and its easier to avoid over-duing it with the blush cause you can buff it in better. You can get some make-up brushes from the craft store such as an angle brush or an eyeliner brush. I also agree about Sonia Kashuk brushes, they are pretty good quality. Sephora also has some nice brushes that aren't horribly expensive.

I notice a difference... good brushes are so soft, and have an amazing feel to them. I love all of my MAC brushes. For brushes on a budget, I'd get Sonia Kashuk.. love her brushes as well.

I agree on the brushes,good brushes make a LOT of difference.

well as far as face brushes go i would invest on a good one, i bought the jordana set on ebay, and the bristles were really rough, and actually felt the bristles stabbing my face!! so yeah sonia kashuk or mac brushes do feel waaaay better up against your skin!!

Yes, they make a difference! If $$ is an issue buy one good brush every few months and build your collection that way. That's what I did. I constantly see brushes that I think I need, but I know the ones I have are good enough. IMO, all you need is a good e/s brush, crease brush, powder/blush brush, foundation brush, angle brush for lining lids, and maybe a concealer brush...Some people might think you need less or more brushes. But I don't need 30 brushes to put on my MU.

I think they do, especially for mineral makeup. The first time I used a mineral foundation I was trying to be cheap and used a regular brush from my makeup kit. It looked so bad. Now I have a great kabuki that I use and it works so well. I also think that good brushes are worth it because they hold up longer. I have some cheaper brushes that I ended up having to toss because the bristles fell out or got fuzzy.

Brushes definitely make a HUGE difference! Makeup can look completely different (good or bad) depending on the brushes used.

Originally Posted by Zoey /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree on the brushes,good brushes make a LOT of difference. Ditto! Polona is one of our brush addict here by the way.

Lol
biggrin.gif

I have the money for a good brush, im basicly needing a foundation powder brush, for a med-heavy coverage, can anyone reccomend one? im gonna hunt around to see what i can find

I found this one by Bare Escentuals - Flawless coverage face brush.

Is this any good, worth buying? I dont use BE mu tho, I use jane iredale.

Bare_Escentuals_Flawless_Coverage_Face_Brush.jpg

I think they make a difference but some of them need not be too pricey/even necessary. I have a huge powder brush too and it's a cheap, no-name brand. It's big and fluffy, feels good and fulfils its purpose. There's not much precision involved, unlike an eyeliner brush for eg, so it's good enough for me.
smile.gif

(That said however, there are some that are too cheap to even bother about, with reaally hard and scratchy bristles that feel like toothpaste bristles)

So, I don't mind using a cheap-er powder brush, certain generic eyeshadow brushes that I use for patting eye color on the lid. I'd go for expensive brushes if I need some sort of precision. Eg: eyelining brush, bronzer/brush, blending brushes. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by southcitybabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have the money for a good brush, im basicly needing a foundation powder brush, for a med-heavy coverage, can anyone reccomend one? im gonna hunt around to see what i can find
I found this one by Bare Escentuals - Flawless coverage face brush.

Is this any good, worth buying? I dont use BE mu tho, I use jane iredale.

http://www.islandcosmetics.com/img/p...Face_Brush.jpg

I hate the BE brushes. They seem to me to be really rough on my skin. Try the SK brushes from Target. They are much softer and better IMO.

Latest posts

Back