Do You Believe in Aromatherapy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Stress. One way said to help beat stress is by using Aromatherapy to help combat it. But I am not sure if I buy into it. I mean, I love to light candles, they just look relaxing. And I love the way a certain scent can take over a room. But is it really doing something to my mind?

The definition of Aromatherapy from Wikipedia:

Aromatherapy is the treatment or prevention of disease by use of essential oils. Two basic mechanisms are offered to explain the purported effects. One is the influence of aroma on the brain, especially the limbic system through the olfactory system. The other is the direct pharmacological effects of the essential oils[1]. While precise knowledge of the synergy between the body and aromatic oils is often claimed by aromatherapists, the efficacy of aromatherapy remains to be proven. However, some preliminary clinical studies show positive effects. [2] [3]

Do you believe in Aromatherapy?

Source

I guess I do believe in it. I believe that it can change your mood or trigger a memory. I know that whenever I smell lavender I feel relaxed and calm.

yep. and ditto on the lavender part
smile.gif

I definately do, certain scents always make you feel better-scents that remind us of something or someone. I know that I used the lavender with vanilla spray for spraying on your bed sheets and the smell really does relax you- also bath products with lavender just seem to make you feel relaxed-

I wholeheartedly believe in aromatherapy! I have so many essential oils as well as all natural bath products!

I do. I noticed that I tend to reach for certain scents and shower gels depending on my mood.

Yes, I definitely do. Minty and eucalyptus scents make me feel energized and more awake and good to use in the morning. Lavender scents make me feel more mellow and relaxed. Love it!

sure, peppermint really helps a bad headache, though it won't stop me from taking some meds if i need to. and ylang ylang is very relaxing.

I don't 'believe' per se - like the aromas would have 'magical therapeutical' properties. What i do believe is that scents connect very deeply into our brain - since the scent area is the most ancient one of our bodies (lower animals' brains are pratically only that area) and because of its connection with the limbic system (responsible for 'basic' emotions like anger, lust, hunger, or things like that - that are regulated by the cortex), smells can induce certain memories, that makes us peaceful or things like that.

Example: lavender - when i smell lavender, i don't feel peaaceful, but i remember childhood - here in Brazil (at least kids of my age and older - boyfriend feels the same way), lavender cologne is almost a synonym (?) of child perfume.

i most certainly do! for a person that's a bit high strung, like myself, aromatherapy has been essential in helping relieve and regulate stress levels. very useful tool!

essential oils like eucalyptus (globulus and radiata) and pine (pinus sylvestris) are really helpful when you have a cold or other common respiratory disease during winter.

i heard two drops of lavender on the solar plexus help fall asleep.

Aromatherapy does work but it depends on the scale of its effects. Some people use it cause it did work for them while some are not really satisfied of its effects.

I do believe in it not just because it is popular or not popular, but because of the fact that it has worked for many people before and it has been working for a lot more people today.

YES! we sleep to chamomile, vanilla and orange blossom. i love lemongrass to wake me up, and love eucalyptus oil for when i am sick.

Latest posts

Back