Do you pay attention to the ingredients in makeup/skin care products?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wanting to change my skin care products because they are not effective as I thought they were however, now I am reading articles that some ingredients in cleansers, exfoiliators, etc are not good for your face/body in the long run like parebens, PEG, alcohols, sulfates, etc. Do you look out for certain ingredients in your skin care products? If so, does it make a difference in whether you buy the product or not? Should I be concerned about this, or is it just "media hype?"

I really don't pay attention as much as I should... There is one moisturizer that was supposedly really excellant for my oily skin but it contained some denatured alcohol in high percentage and was reviewed by some as extremely drying due to this. Now, whether this is accurate or not, I didn't buy it bc lots of reviews had stated that due to this their skin was ruined. I'd rather had not taken the risk for 5 bucks.

I pay attention to the ingredients and read them every time before I buy a product. I try to buy more natural products but I found that some natural products just don't perform to the level I'm used to. If a natural version is not something I'm willing to go with for a certain product, I many times buy a product that is made in Europe because they cosmetic regulations are way tougher than here in the USA. I feel more at ease knowing that the products was manufactured according to EU standards more than the loose US standards. I love the fact that some high end brands are producing "healthier" makeup now such as YSL and Dior.

I don't pay attention at all. But I agree with Reija, I have noticed that some products that claim to be natural just aren't as good as something that isn't natural.

Reija, what are the brand/lines that you buy from Europe? I have noticed that other countries primarily Europe have stricter standards for food, skin care, makeup, etc.

I would disagree with part of that only because I recently learned that something I bought in the UK is actually banned here in the US. And I've been to Europe a few times (not just the UK) and although they have different standards I wouldn't say they were more strict. As far as food goes, I think certain European countries do more fresh food than Americans do and have less preservatives. As far as food goes, America is far worse than some of the other countries I've been to.

Originally Posted by kimber07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Reija, what are the brand/lines that you buy from Europe? I have noticed that other countries primarily Europe have stricter standards for food, skin care, makeup, etc.

I'm a little skeptical about all makeup/skincare products, especially those that have a fake earth-friendly, natural public image--and those that fool you into thinking they're better because they're more expensive.

like just the other day I bought the banana shampoo at The Body Shop (super-green, natural-ingredients image, right?); not only did the shampoo have 5 types of parabens, it also had SLES and synthetic dyes/fragrance to fool you into believing you're smelling banana (which is a listed ingredient, but god knows the chemical treatments it goes through). not as bad as Lancome though--I can't find their ingredients ANYWHERE on their packaging or website, but 3rd party sources show that the $50 tinted moisturizer that made me break out wasn't any better than a drugstore equivalent.

I don't know what 99% of the ingredients in any given product are, so I don't sweat it too much--all the eco-hype is targeted towards towards a select few group of chemicals (parabens, sulfates, etc), but I'm willing to bet there are tons in everyday products that are just as bad.  honestly, I'd rather have a decent amount of a good sunscreen w/parabens than a fancy small $30 tube of supposedly better ingredients.

I don't pay any attention but I know I should, because technically I am allergic to some ingredients but I cannot figure out which ones. I usually don't believe in organic makeup because there are some plant oils that are harmful.

Sometimes I think the whole "natural", anti-paraben, anti-sulfate, anti-silicone etc, etc, etc fads are just another ploy to get people to buy more product.  Some people hear that stuff and ignore it, some people hear it and get really worried and throw out all their perfectly fine products and replace them with all brand new products, so more stuff gets bought.  Or, they pay extra to have certain things left out of the product.  The FDA has looked closely at parabens because of all the mania, and as with pretty much anything in life they're safe in moderation.  Sure if you bathed in a pool of parabens 10 hours a day you'd probably become ill.  If you drink 8 gallons of apple juice you also become ill!  

I'm trying to avoid ingredients that come from animals, but other than that I don't worry about whether ingredients are "natural" or whatever. It seems like almost every ingredient out there has a study saying it's safe and another study saying it causes cancer.

Latest posts

Back