Do you think people are getting ruder?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont really consider backing out of a social situation "rude" plans get cancel all the time for whatever reasons ,as long as they let you know they no longer want to go, whats the big deal, i could understand if they didnt bother to call or let you know that they were backing out. i guess im a lil bias on this topic because i change plans all the time i dont like to commit to stuff for this very reason, cause i have to deal with the rude attitude my friends throw when i have something else i rather do than go with them.

I do agree that on a whole, we are ruder than any other time I can remember. Customer service is non existant. I dealt with it today. Say hello to me when I walk up. Thank me when I leave. Sorry I still expect that. I could see me acting to a patient or their family the way I'm treated sometimes. I'd be canned in a split second. Everyone has a bad day, but rudeness is unacceptable. Fake it.

Originally Posted by han /img/forum/go_quote.gif i dont really consider backing out of a social situation "rude" plans get cancel all the time for whatever reasons ,as long as they let you know they no longer want to go, whats the big deal, i could understand if they didnt bother to call or let you know that they were backing out. i guess im a lil bias on this topic because i change plans all the time i dont like to commit to stuff for this very reason, cause i have to deal with the rude attitude my friends throw when i have something else i rather do than go with them. that's not what we meant... we mean if people cancel on us & don't even bother to call ahead of time... personally i don't care if someone cancels plans with me as long as they call me ahead of time & not last min. & let me know so that way i can make other plans. i've been in both situations so i know what it's like. i had people cancel on me without telling me & i have cancelled on last min or didn't pick up the phone.

Well I'm bucking the trend and have been getting more friendly and more curtious as I get older... And I find that it pays me back by others being disarmed and less rude... imho...

Karren

I also think it has to do with what is or what isn't being taught to us (any generation).

I just got off the phone with a customer service person and she was so polite and so professional that I was smiling when I hung up. Its amazing how much that made my day--to find a CSR who actually did her job well. Polite people rock
arco.gif

I think it's interesting how it seems for some of you to be related to age..

because what i was thinking was that when you're younger, your mum or dad or whoever usually says 'you have to invite so and so to your party, otherwise it's rude' or she'll make you call and say you cant go or whatever - the people I'm talking about are in their 20s - it's like for the first time, they know what the right thing to do is, but they can do what they want - so they do what they want rather than what is polite.

but I dunno. I think in general it's not age related - all people are getting somewhat ruder - just things like shoving into you on the st and not saying sorry, things like that that just take a minute to do..

I agree that people are getting ruder. When I worked in Customer Service I was apalled at how many people don't say Hello, when you say Hello. How many people that don't say please and Thank You. It really irritates me. Because of all the rudeness I have encountered I am over the top polite and nice to everyone.

I can't stand flakes either. Don't call me and invite me somewhere, then an hour before we're supposed to go...cancel. So lame.

I was referring to folks in their 20s as well. And I can imagine the younger generation being even worse - I have only met a few students who honestly say "thank you" and "please" without you having to say, "you're welcome" first.

Its just plain inconsiderate, some people just don't think of anyone except themselfs.

I believe so and I'd have to agree with Kelly, alot of Co-workers/customer service is VERY rude lately. If you don't like your job, quit.

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif I definitely think people have gotten ruder because I work at a library. sometimes patrons do not even bother handing me their cards. They just fling it. I told one patron about this and he suggested I fling their books at them.
smile.gif
Haha Very good.

Yes people seem ruder these days.

I always say please, thank you etc. If someone opens the door for me or does something nice I always say thank you. I hold the doors for others. The odd person says thank you but many don't. There is a young clerk at Shoppers Drug Mart near my house. She isn't friendly and whenever I say thank you she looks at me like I'm some type of alien.

Yesterday I was at Lush. I planned on buying one product. The clerk said there is a promotion, if I buy two they would give me a free tin to hold the soaps. I thought about it and decided I only needed one soap and I really didn't need the tin. I politely said thanks for telling me about the promotion but I really only need the one soap. Her attitude changed. She seemed sort of snotty and even when she rang up my purchase she seemed miffed. I have no idea if they are on commission but I did buy one item! Ugh.

As for social plans... I don't mind if someone cancels but I think it is common decency to phone the person ahead of time to let them know you are unable to make it. I understand in an emergency like a car accident, death in the family etc you may not think to phone or unable to. If I am unable to meet with someone I always phone them ahead of time.

Same with being on time. I always try to be on time to doctors appts, meeting someone, picking someone up etc. If someone is late picking me up or meeting me somewhere I would hope they would have the decency to call me. I do carry a cell phone so they could easily call me. Once again if an emergency arise, unable to call, I would understand. Once again if I know I will be late I do call the person.

I agree as well, it's awful and becoming more so everyday. I think it has never been so terrible as it is nowadays - people don't care for each other, they don't even try to be polite since they obviously regard it as their right to do whatever they please, no matter how much they harm others. Hardly anyone has respect for anyone else anymore.

I especially hate people almost running you over and pushing you on the stairs, on the street, etc without saying sorry but even yelling "get out of the way". Um, hello? I don't have eyes on my back, if you are quicker than me just say "excuse me" and go on, no need to be rude and brutal.

But it's also little everday stuff, e.g. you entering a shop and no SA even bothers to look at you, let alone greet you or smile ... And I also agree on the friends-thing - deciding to meet up and then just like a second before they say they won't come.

Originally Posted by _withoutYou /img/forum/go_quote.gif that's not what we meant... we mean if people cancel on us & don't even bother to call ahead of time... personally i don't care if someone cancels plans with me as long as they call me ahead of time & not last min. & let me know so that way i can make other plans. i've been in both situations so i know what it's like. i had people cancel on me without telling me & i have cancelled on last min or didn't pick up the phone. i understood what you all meant totally, like i said in my post i dont feel its rude AS LONG as they call to cancel.

Back