Do you use eyeshadow primer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are a bunch of eyeshadow primers on the market, though the only one I've tried is Smashbox's Lip & Lid Primer. Do you use a primer for your shadow? Which one?

Here are the primers at Sephora...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=570 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD><TD>
p.gif
</TD><TD class=tt11 vAlign=top>Urban Decay Primer Potion, $14

This ultra sheer, nude colored base disappears instantly into the skin, providing the perfect canvas for shadow application. The easy-to-use wand makes application a breeze.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>
p.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD>
p.gif
</TD><TD class=tt11 vAlign=top>Smashbox Lid & Lip Primer, $22

This double-ended wand prevents shadow from premature fading, bleeding, and creasing. Turn it right around and do the same thing for your lipstick.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>
p.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD>
p.gif
</TD><TD class=tt11 vAlign=top>Benefit Lemon-Aid, $18

This yellow-tone cream instantly enlarges your eyes by disguising redness and tiny veins on your eyelids. Use alone or under shadow for smooth operating all day long.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>
p.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD>http://a1377.g.akamai.net/7/1377/5720/20030812002803/www.sephora.com/assets/global/p.gif</TD><TD class=tt11 vAlign=top>Too Faced Eyeshadow Base, $15

Perfect for sensitive eyelids, this soothing duo contains essential oils and vitamins to moisturize while it keeps shadow in place. First base has an opalescent sheen for added glow, while Second Base is colorless for wearing underneath shadows.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>http://a1377.g.akamai.net/7/1377/5720/20030812002803/www.sephora.com/assets/global/p.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://a1377.g.akamai.net/7/1377/5720/20041222005529/www.sephora.com/assets/browse/tt/getLook/C10261_prod5.jpg</TD><TD>http://a1377.g.akamai.net/7/1377/5720/20030812002803/www.sephora.com/assets/global/p.gif</TD><TD class=tt11 vAlign=top>Paula Dorf Eye Primer, $22

Even out your lids with this creamy, moisturizing base. It smoothes and neutralizes the lid so color stays true and stays put.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>http://a1377.g.akamai.net/7/1377/5720/20030812002803/www.sephora.com/assets/global/p.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://a1377.g.akamai.net/7/1377/5720/20041222005529/www.sephora.com/assets/browse/tt/getLook/C10261_prod6.jpg</TD><TD>http://a1377.g.akamai.net/7/1377/5720/20030812002803/www.sephora.com/assets/global/p.gif</TD><TD class=tt11 vAlign=top>Amazing Cosmetics Eyeshadow Primer, $15

This antioxidant-packed cream to powder formula glides on effortlessly, evening out skin tone while providing the perfect base for color application. It's also infused with sunscreen to protect lids</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hey Joy! Good question. I was actually just on Sephora's website yesterday looking at all the eyeshadow primers. I have never used any eyeshadow primer. But I have been hearing how much longer eyeshadow lasts with them. I would like to try one, but havent' yet. Part of the reason I haven't tried any yet is because I'm scared that they won't work. So any recs for good ones would be appreciated!

Originally Posted by FairyRave Hey Joy! Good question. I was actually just on Sephora's website yesterday looking at all the eyeshadow primers. I have never used any eyeshadow primer. But I have been hearing how much longer eyeshadow lasts with them. I would like to try one, but havent' yet. Part of the reason I haven't tried any yet is because I'm scared that they won't work. So any recs for good ones would be appreciated! I have this problem with my eyeshadow fading away - *snap* - like that! My aunt once complimented me on my grey eyeshadow. Looking in the mirror, I realized that my green shadow had faded into grey over the course of the afternoon. yikes!
Enter Smashbox lid primer, which I love (you can see my review here on MUT). It keeps color brilliant all day. I've gotta do some research, b/c I'm curious what exactly is IN primer that is different from concealor or foundation (the consistency of the Smashbox lid primer is pretty close to that of a hard concealor).

But I'm curious about other brands (especially the cheaper ones!). Any thoughts ladies?

I am sticking to my Lemon-Aid. It's a concealer and shadow base in one, my eyeshadow never moves with this stuff. LOVE LOVE LOVE>

Ok, i've always said MAC paints are the best e/s base ever but the same can't be said today! I applied Stillife (on it's own) yesterday morning at 8am & it was gone by 1pm. Now i usually use this as a base or Bare Canvas so i don't know what's going on. Might have to look into buying a new primer. Thanks for the great post though coz i'm gonna look online at all these
biggrin.gif

i've been using Lorac's Eye & Lip Neutralizer, but it's no longer available online @ beauty.com or Sephora.
confused.gif
it was the only primer that would REALLY set my e/s for 12+ hours.

I use L'oreal's De-crease. I'm sure there are others that are better, but I don't like spending tons of money on something that doesn't even show up. It works well for me. It's basically a concealer (not sure if there is any difference). It's lighter than my skin and my shadows show up much truer to color when I use a base. Also, the color lasts all day with minimal creasing (I notice creasing if I get kinda sweaty like if I don't take off my makeup before going to the gym or on a hot day.) Overall though, it works well and is only $7.00. Also good tip - The applicator sucks and lots of base is left in the tube against the sides so putting it in hot water for a few minutes softens the base so you can get it out again. It lasts a lot longer this way!

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Oh, awesome Janelle, thanks! You're very welcome! I'm still using this stuff, and it's still working!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Scarlette I am sticking to my Lemon-Aid. It's a concealer and shadow base in one, my eyeshadow never moves with this stuff. LOVE LOVE LOVE> Hey Scarlette!
So I caved in and bought Lemon-Aid today, because of your rave reviews.

Question for ya.... The sales girl put it not only on my eyes, but on my blemishes as well (a Lemon Aid + Lying Eyes + You Rebel combo). Made me feel a little too pale & was curious to see if Lemon-Aid is meant for general concealor as well.

Thanks again for all of your honest reviews of Benefit's products - 'tis greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Hey Scarlette!
So I caved in and bought Lemon-Aid today, because of your rave reviews.

Question for ya.... The sales girl put it not only on my eyes, but on my blemishes as well (a Lemon Aid + Lying Eyes + You Rebel combo). Made me feel a little too pale & was curious to see if Lemon-Aid is meant for general concealor as well.

Thanks again for all of your honest reviews of Benefit's products - 'tis greatly appreciated!

Hi there, I am really happy to hear that you stopped by one of our counters! Let me give you a little run-down on each product separately.You Rebel is a tan tinted moisturizer, looks VERY brown on me since I am pale. Looks great on tans and people with dark complexions. I usually use this product along with the Playstick foundations in a lighter color to cover blemishes and to even the color of the Rebel out since it's soooo tan! I dust the Get Even Powder #2 over the top to set everything and to blot through the day when getting shiney.

Lyin' Eyes is a great gel concealer for under the eyes and for blemishes, Lemon-Aid is for the eye area and anywhere else you want to put it .. but I've NEVER put it on blemishes. It's too light. Pat on lids and under the eye if it works for you with the lyin' eyes mixed in for moisture. Lemon-Aid is a color corrector , so I've only put it on lids and around the nose where customers have red veins. Try the lyin' eyes on blemishes, lemon-aid is too thick and light for that.

I've been using Yrban Decay's Primer Potion & love it!

I also use MAC Paints sometimes.

I have Lemon-Aid; but I mostly use it for undereye circles. I haven't tried it as an e/s base yet.

Latest posts

Back