Does anyone here epilate?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nury does hers with an epilator! And she said it is fine for her so..hmm.

I still want one.

Originally Posted by MindySue /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nury does hers with an epilator! And she said it is fine for her so..hmm.
I still want one.

Yeah, I've never had any problems with it, either.

I read somewhere, maybe a magazine that you could put some Anbesol on your upper lip (the stuff you use to numb for tooth pain) that will numb your lip area. So it should work on the chin I would think as well.

I have an epilator (Brown Silk Epil) and I can get used to the pain, it just takes forever to get both legs done! Yes it hurts like a bit**, but not even near as painful as getting a brazilian wax. I once tried to epilate my bikine line and under my arms, but it was just too much pain.

The reason why I don´t do it anymore is that I end up with red bumps on my legs. Not sure if it´s ingrown hairs or just an irritated hair follice from the hair being yanked out? I´m still gonna give it another try soon, cause with the cold temperatures my legs will be covered in long pants anyway, so if I end up with bumps on my skin at least no one will see them

I have an old model Braun epilator I've had for years and its the only thing I've ever used on my legs since I got it. One thing I notice is, if I go without epilating for a while , it hurts when I do it again but, if I just do little bits at a time and keep at it , it stops bothering me. Its like your body needs time to send out natural painkillers or something. I've actually managed to do my bikini line with it if I go in really slow short bursts. I've definitely never been able to stand doing even a hair or two of my armpits though. I don't have a model that's suitable for facial use so, I couldn't say about that.

Here's one thing I suspect could work that I learned when I had laser hair removal. If you get an ointment that's benzocaine or better still, lidocaine based in as high a strength as you can find, spread a layer on the part you want to depilate, wrap it in plastic wrap and wait (maximum anaesthetic effect usually hit around 45 minutes later),then wipe it off , it can diminish the pain quite a lot.

the numbness is pretty much gone after two hours.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif nope, because with waxing, a LOT of hair is removed in one go. With Epilation, the pain is on a hair by hair basis, if that makes any sense, LOL.
Not to mention, on an area as soft and sensitive as the bikini line, you are likely to trap the skin in the teeth of the epilator. That's what I've heard anyway. I'm sure some people have never had a problem like that with their epilator but several months ago I posted a thread complaining about how expensive waxing was and asking what I could do at home, and one of the girls who was a beautician said that she'd had girls who'd tried to epilate bikini lines come in bruised and battered

scared2.gif

Ekkk.. Don't think i'd try that then.

What if you numb the top skin with an analgesic or something, like Ambesol? That might reduce the pain a little bit, I'm guessing.

I started epilating my legs and underarms about a month ago with the Braun Silk-epil X'ell EasyStart. I still have to do it every other day because I guess it takes awhile before the hair growth slows. I got my underarms waxed for the first time before using the epilator and highly recommend doing that so that the hair grows in sparsely and then you can epilate with less pain! The legs aren't too bad even with never waxing before...like little pricks when it gets a hair out. I use the "pro" attachment on my legs which basically doesn't have the little massaging rollers on the head to help lessen pain. I still have to use the massaging rollers for my underarms though because that is more painful but it really isn't that bad. The hair only has to be about 1/4 in. long or sometimes less if it is a thick hair that can get grabbed easily. The results are worth it! Definitely do some serious exfoliation though or else you will get ingrown hairs! Oh and there are skin numbing solutions that you can find by the waxing supplies at drug or beauty stores. I sometimes use that on my underarm if I don't feel "strong" on that day!

I use the Emjoi Gently Gold Caress on my pits only (too painfull on the legs for me) and there are several things that makes it easier and less painfull.

1. The first thing is just getting through it the first time, then do it about every two weeks and the folicles loosen up and it doesn't hurt so bad.

2. If doing your pits, make sure you wash any deodorant off with soap and water and then stick some hot washcloths under your arms to get the folicles to loosen up, you can always epilate right after a good shower too.

3. Don't, for the love of all that's holy, don't use an epilator like a razor! You catch too much hair at once and hurt way too much, just use a small short stroking motion starting at the bottom and work your way up. Little tuffts of hair being ripped out is much more doable than trying to do a whole strip at once like a razor does.

That's pretty much the techniques I use, but you really won't get 4 to 6 weeks of smoothness like they all claim. This is because your hair folicles are all in different growth stages so you'll always have some ready to grow out that are too short to get caught by the epilator. I find that if I'm consistent and do my pits no more than 2 weeks apart then it's less painfull, there's less hair to deal with and it comes in finer and slower than if I shave.

OK, after reading all of the post I have decided I need a drink!

I have thought of trying to elilate my legs and maybe my face. I really need laser for that. I hate shaving so close everyday.

ok, ouch

frown.gif

kinda off topic, my friend shaves her pubic area, and actually cut her labia once, sliced a little bit off

she has the scar!!!!!

owie

i have an emjoi (it is blue with gold tweezers) after a friend recommended it. the first day i used it - it hurt a lot, but i did a little at a time and kept doing it and it worked really well. definitely didn't last for 6 weeks, but i can tell the hair growth wasn't as much. i have used it on my legs and underarms (which was surprisingly not so bad after getting used to)...

i only like using it after showering, since your follicles are loose....and not around the time you are going to get your period, i just feel sensitive all over then.

i think it definitely takes time to get used to - so give it a while....

I have the Braun Silk-epil X'ell and I use it on my legs and underarms. It certainly does take getting used to, but if I do it regularly it doesn't hurt very much at all (and I have a very low tolerance or pain). I know a woman who does her bikini area with an epilator. I'm just far too scared to try right now.

i use an epilator on my legs, underarm and bikini area. As everyones has said you do get used to it! Don't really have any major tips, other than to make sure your underarms and bikini area are really dry (use talcum powder) when you epilate, otherwise the skin can catch between the rollers! (but this doesnt cut the skin, its just annoying thats all)...

I have the Braun Silk-Epil too and use it on my legs and arms. It hurt a lot at first but then my skin got used to it. I've been epilating my legs for years and the hairs have gotten a lot more sparse
smile.gif

Originally Posted by zgreatscot /img/forum/go_quote.gif Some people take pain killers before using an epilator Yes, that's what i was going to say.You can do that.

holy crap i can't even make myslef do a whole leg! my mom tried it and said it was almost as bad as being in labor. i can only do it in patches. ouch.

Back