Does anyone here epilate?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Reaction score
OW.. so, my fiancee purchased the Braun Epil X'elle epilator for me as one of my early birthday gifts (bless his heart!) and I was really excited because I read many good reviews on this product as it's supposed to be the best epilator on the market today. I mainly want to use this for the chin area since I have somewhat of a beard that I've been growing due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I read a few people's reviews who said that using an epilator is worse than getting a tattoo! I tried the X'elle on my leg and I couldn't bear the pain of it. I tried so hard. I did half of my lower leg and I couldn't take it anymore and had to stop. I am kinda bummed because I just want to see how long my legs will be hairless after epilation. Grrr.. I wish I could just grit my teeth and take the pain, but I seriously can't! Anyone have tips on how I can do this with less pain?

I've never try it before, that sounds really hurt.

I'll move this thread to BB forum.

I don't have that one, but I own the Braun's Silk Epil (I really like it). I have thick coarse hair on my legs (especially on the lower legs) and it grows really fast . So yeah, the first time I epilated, it was a bit painful (but nothing out of this world). Afterwards, hair starts to grow thinner and it's not that painful anymore.

The Silk Epil has two speeds, plus one rolling thing that is supposed to massage your skin before using the tweezer. It's recommended that you start with low speed and the massaging thing to prepare your skin. It sure helps a lot.

Be sure to hold your skin tight (very important), and put the epilator at a 90 degrees angle. It's also nice to take a bath and exofialte before epilating. I usually listen to music while epilating (rock usually works the best -lol). I've also heard some ladies epilate while enjoying a nice glass of wine. Gotta try that one myself!

All in all, it does get better after the first time. Good luck! :)

Ouch!! Sounds painful! I've never tried it, but hope you figure out what to do!

it yanks the hair out by the roots basically, lol.

I have one and the type I have has a special thing that makes it less painful. I assume that your model should definately have it if mine did, since mine is at least a year old.

I agree with all LillyV's suggestions. Also, do a little bit at a time, and just keep trying every few days to do a bit more, and you'll find it gets easier over time.

It took me a while to get used to it, but then it was fine! I have to say though, it takes so long and the results are not very smooth, so I pretty much stopped doing it, but I really should use it again - my hair stopped growing back in patches which was awesome!

I have the gentle one with massage rollers. I bought it after I bought the normal one without massage rollers and I can clearly feel the difference in pain. It feels so much better now, I even used it on my upper lip.

I think it can be quite short... like 1-2mm? it works better when the hair is longer though.

Originally Posted by puncturedskirt /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is it just for legs? This is the last question! lol

No, you can use it just about anywhere
smile.gif
I use it for my legs and bikini line. It is quite painful, though. I call it the Devil Machine!

I bet it is, especially if you use it on the bikini line!. I'd get it more because it's not messy like Wax.

So does it clean up pretty good though? (get all the hairs)...

(Okay, So that wasn't my last question...lol)

Originally Posted by puncturedskirt /img/forum/go_quote.gif I bet it is, especially if you use it on the bikini line!. I'd get it more because it's not messy like Wax. So does it clean up pretty good though? (get all the hairs)...

(Okay, So that wasn't my last question...lol)

It really does
smile.gif
And it also makes the hair grow back much slower, thinner, and more sparse. Well, that's my expirience, anyway
smile.gif
For me, it was a good investment!

Originally Posted by kristinaah /img/forum/go_quote.gif It really does
smile.gif
And it also makes the hair grow back much slower, thinner, and more sparse. Well, that's my expirience, anyway
smile.gif
For me, it was a good investment! Sounds good to me.

I wouldn't use it on my bikini line if you paid me, LOL. OUCH!

I much prefer to get someone else to do my bikini wax
biggrin.gif

nope, because with waxing, a LOT of hair is removed in one go. With Epilation, the pain is on a hair by hair basis, if that makes any sense, LOL.

Not to mention, on an area as soft and sensitive as the bikini line, you are likely to trap the skin in the teeth of the epilator. That's what I've heard anyway. I'm sure some people have never had a problem like that with their epilator but several months ago I posted a thread complaining about how expensive waxing was and asking what I could do at home, and one of the girls who was a beautician said that she'd had girls who'd tried to epilate bikini lines come in bruised and battered

scared2.gif

There's a thread on here somewhere with someone who posted about a girl who did her own bikini line with an epilator!! I tell ya i'd never go near there with an epilator, or a razor!! I'll leave that to the pro's!!

Latest posts

Back