Does long lasting makeup exist??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello girlies!  Well, I have oily, acne prone skin (and HATE it with a passion!!).  I use colorstay or estee lauder foundation but no matter what kind of foundation I use, it seems to desolve by the afternoon....not sure what I am doing wrong.  I usually just go straight home after work because by that time, I end up looking like a disaster!  I currently use the loreal primer, I'm not too familiar with primers as I haven't really experimented with them.  I know everybody says how great colorstay and estee lauder are but no matter what foundation I put on, my face just doesnt look flawless or even decent like i want it to.  It looks kind of cakey, maybe I am not applying it right..i use a foundation brush or stippling brush.  Any tips, tricks, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A primer would definitely help. Try the Monistat Anti Chafe Gel, sounds weird but it works amazingly as a face primer since it has a key ingredient that more expensive primers have as well. 

Maybe try a mattifying foundation like Make Up Forever's Mat Velvet foundation.

Also, are you setting it with powder? That's a really important step. I personally like theBalm Sexy Mama Powder.

Another thing - what brush are you using? I've heard great things about the Sigma F80, and I personally just use my fingers.

Hope that helped!

Primers do nothing for me but cause major breakouts. Except for one, which is silicone free. Gotta look in my stash. Can't remember the brand. I have oily skin and have no problem with my foundation. I use Monave Moisture Mousse or Liquid Matte using a Sigma F82 brush - I like it a lot more than the F80 and have both - followed by a light buffing of Monave's loose mineral foundation and a little bit of silk powder to balance everything out. I then dust off the excess with a huge, soft brush and lightly mist my face with my own misting blend which I put together myself. I use blotting films or tissues a few times a day to get rid of any excess oil and to avoid over using powder. If you have oily skin, I'd highly suggest you steer clear of regular primers, meaning 99% of the ones on the market, including Monistat. They're loaded with silicones and don't allow your skin to breathe or properly excrete sweat and toxins from inside your body. Which leads to acne/breakouts/rashes/rough textured skin for many people. Primers are seriously overrated, especially the ones which have flooded the cosmetics market. I have also seen some people swear by using Milk of Magnesia as a way to control oil. They apply it before their foundation and lightly remove the noticeable excess before applying their base. I haven't tried it yet myself but it makes sense and won't suffocate your skin or cause breakouts. I had planned on trying this later on in the week to see what it actually does for my skin or if it makes my foundation wear any differently throughout the day. I've also been using a salicylic acid peel lately which I got from Amazon. Spectacular stuff! It has really cut down on the amount of oil my skin produces. It also leaves it very smooth and really makes my pores far less visible. Good luck :)

I too have oily skin but primer does gets the job done if I want my makeup to last the whole day. Have you tried your luck on mineral foundation. It's somehow resistant to sweat and stays on longer than the regular liquid foundation. Choose one that's formulated for oily skin, although most of he mineral foundations are oil free. You may need to blot after a few hours but so far from my experience it doesn't melt.

Thanks ladies!  I am going to try a different primer and give mineral foundation a shot.  Also, I did the milk of magnesia thing this morning so ill see if it helps at all.   Thanks for the input!

@satojoko ...is there a certain brand of the peel you use? 

Just search Amazon for glycolic acid, lactic acid and salicylic acid peels from Skin Laboratory & Skin Obsession. Avoid the one with hydroquinone in it. It's been proven to be toxic. Don't bother buying acid products with a lot of extra ingredients in them. Look for the ones that are made mainly of acids. Others are a waste of money and don't work like stronger solution acids do. There are also very good vitamin c serums on amazon. Make sure you read product info before making a choice. The vitamin c serum I recommend is one which is sold as a single bottle and also as a buy 2 get 1 free deal. I can't remember the brand name but it's the only one which offers that deal. It has a yellow label and is made fresh. Works better than any other vitamin c serum I've tried, including the very expensive, overhyped ones on the market. Good luck :)

Try a primer! It really helps...

I personally wear NYX foundation and use Hard Candy Primer which you can get at wal mart for about $6. 

If your oily also try powdering your T zone, it'll help everything stay in place

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Primers do nothing for me but cause major breakouts. Except for one, which is silicone free. Gotta look in my stash. Can't remember the brand.

I have oily skin and have no problem with my foundation. I use Monave Moisture Mousse or Liquid Matte using a Sigma F82 brush - I like it a lot more than the F80 and have both - followed by a light buffing of Monave's loose mineral foundation and a little bit of silk powder to balance everything out. I then dust off the excess with a huge, soft brush and lightly mist my face with my own misting blend which I put together myself. I use blotting films or tissues a few times a day to get rid of any excess oil and to avoid over using powder. If you have oily skin, I'd highly suggest you steer clear of regular primers, meaning 99% of the ones on the market, including Monistat. They're loaded with silicones and don't allow your skin to breathe or properly excrete sweat and toxins from inside your body. Which leads to acne/breakouts/rashes/rough textured skin for many people. Primers are seriously overrated, especially the ones which have flooded the cosmetics market.

I have also seen some people swear by using Milk of Magnesia as a way to control oil. They apply it before their foundation and lightly remove the noticeable excess before applying their base. I haven't tried it yet myself but it makes sense and won't suffocate your skin or cause breakouts. I had planned on trying this later on in the week to see what it actually does for my skin or if it makes my foundation wear any differently throughout the day.

I've also been using a salicylic acid peel lately which I got from Amazon. Spectacular stuff! It has really cut down on the amount of oil my skin produces. It also leaves it very smooth and really makes my pores far less visible.

Good luck :)

I know several drag queens that use Milk of Magnesia and swear by it and their makeup is great!

Latest posts

Back