Donating Blood

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I gave blood this afternoon at the American Red Cross (only felt a pinch at the beginning & I'm feeling fine!). I just wanted to share a link to their donation site. You can actually save up to 3 lives with one donation, so every pint counts!

argh, I hate having my blood sucked out!
icon_twisted.gif
I almost always faint, or something like it. But it is for a good cause. *support* I went there with some guy friends once, and this really cute nurse came out to do it. She asked us what hand we prefer to have the blood taken out of, and all three guys said at the same time "LEFT HAND!!" Haha! men can be so funny sometimes!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

LOL!

I think a good trick is to not look at the needle or the bag (helps a lot psychologically)-- and to eat/hydrate before and after.

That's wonderful of you Joy. When I was 18 I donated blood @ our blood bank & was told that I had Hepatitis anti-Bodies & therefore can't donate. Since then, I've had 6 knee surgeries & wonder if I'm able to donate today. I hope one day, I'll be given the green light.

Oh my goodness, that's a lot of surgery! I've only gone through one surgery in my life -- can't imagine going through it multiple times. I hope that you are doing okay right now. Are the knees all healed up?

Actually I am the same way as Destiny. Even when I have blood drawn out for blood work, I feel faint. It's definitly NOT the needle thingy as I am pretty rezilliant to to blood etc. It just that I can tell when it is pumping out. IN fact, I have tried WITH and WITHOUT looking and same thing....

Originally Posted by Joyeuux

I gave blood this afternoon at the American Red Cross (only felt a pinch at the beginning & I'm feeling fine!). I just wanted to share a link to their donation site. You can actually save up to 3 lives with one donation, so every pint counts!

I'm ok. The first 3 were w/a quack doctor who's being sued for malpractice. He implanted a ligament unapproved by the FDA into my knee. The premise was so he'd get his patients to return KNOWING that the implant was a failure. Unfortunately, I was one of his victims who had to reattach the faulty ligament by arthroscopic surgery w/surgery #3.

The last 3 were done by my late surgeon. He was highly regarded w/in the state & was one of the Orthopedic Surgeons consulted by the Olympic Swim Team. He removed the faulty ligament in January 2000 & was very successful. However, on 9/11/01, I feel @ work & jarred the replacement he did 20 months prior. We scoped my knee & learned that the ligament would need to be replaced again b/c it had completely detached itself. 4 months later, he used my hamstring tendon to stabalize my knee & it's been great ever since.

Unfortunately, lung cancer took his life in 2003. He had been battling it for years, which is sad b/c he never smoked a day in his life. Goes to show, 2nd hand smoke can kill.
icon_cry.gif

Wow Gail, that's a lot to go through. I hope you get something out of the malpractice suit -- that's awful! But I'm glad that your knee is stable again, and I hope it stays that way.

*hugs*

I gave blood when i was 17 & fainted afterwards.. Ever since i've had the biggest phobia EVER for needles. But i think i can manage it again considering i had to get needles in my eyes while AWAKE a few months back. *shivers*

God Gail, i can't believe you've had surgery so much on your knees. Did you get compensation for what he put you through?

Originally Posted by Laura I gave blood when i was 17 & fainted afterwards.. Ever since i've had the biggest phobia EVER for needles. But i think i can manage it again considering i had to get needles in my eyes while AWAKE a few months back. *shivers*
God Gail, i can't believe you've had surgery so much on your knees. Did you get compensation for what he put you through?

In your EYES?!?! NEEDELS?!?!
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
:icon_eek :
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
:icon_eek :
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
https://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies2/icon_eek.gif:icon_eek :https://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies2/icon_eek.gif

Yup! I was having problems with them being watery & gooey all the time.. Opthamologist (sp?) thought i'd a blocked tear duct & booked me in for day surgery the next day. I thought she meant i'd be put to sleep but OH NO.. I lay out on the surgeons chair & she stuck a needle (to be honest it wasn't a big fat thing but still!) in to both my eyes. We found out afterwards that it wasn't a blocked tear duct i had so there was no bloody need for the needles in my eyes!

I cannot donate blood cuz little computers come out instead of blood
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Laura

Yup! I was having problems with them being watery & gooey all the time.. Opthamologist (sp?) thought i'd a blocked tear duct & booked me in for day surgery the next day. I thought she meant i'd be put to sleep but OH NO.. I lay out on the surgeons chair & she stuck a needle (to be honest it wasn't a big fat thing but still!) in to both my eyes. We found out afterwards that it wasn't a blocked tear duct i had so there was no bloody need for the needles in my eyes!

Thanks Joy. I'm not part of the malpractice suit. My statute of limitations expired by the time I had my surgery in 2000. I figure his bad karma will come around soon enough. The sad thing is that the state is still allowing him to practice medicine despite him filing bankruptcy & paying out several patients. No insurance company will insure his practice thanks to all of his malpractice lawsuits.

Latest posts

Back