Don't You hate it when...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing an assignment, and i'm reading an article from a scientific journal, and every second word is something I need to look up in the dictionary!

take for example this sentence:

this study shows how such successions can be integrated into a sequence stratigraphic framework despite their lithologically monotonous character.

I've looked it up so I know what they're getting at but the paper is like 10 pages long! I hate it when they use stupid scientific language so things don't make sense!

Lmao, I dunno what majority of that sentence meant. Gotta love Webster.

It just needs more simplification or "dummy" it down for me.

I actually use to use big words in essays but found it ridiculous at the end. The professor found it unnecessary at times and would mark me down and I didn't understand why the person who use common words got a better grade in their paper when mines sounded really "smart", now I know haha. And it's an annoyance of mine when I see online debates and one person tries to sound "above" the rest and use big ass vocabulary when you can sound articulate using "common" words... I dunno, haha. I guess it's better than sounding like the opposite of that. But still, sounding like a walking dictionary is bleh.

...and you're reading a scientific journal. Man, they love them big words. Good luck with understanding the whole article.

ptch! tell me about it! how stupid is this: when I'm writing an essay, I go onto dictionary.com, click on the thesaurus tab and change all the easy words to more complex ones. How silly is that? and we are EXPECTED to use that level of language!

I'm trying to dumb it down for my powerpoint presentation. Grumble

I also hate such articles, and even my professor doesn't like them. It's not reader-friendly at all, and she says it would be a real sign of intelligence if the person could say what they wanted to say in a way that everyone can understand it (not just scientists or scholars themselves). She even said once in class that she thinks people who try to sound extremely scholarly and elaborate want to hide that there is no real content in their essay. It's just bla bla with nothing real to show for behind the surface. Gotta love her for this attitude
wink.gif

lol tell me about it! we use specific terms in law, and sometimes after reading 10 pages, you're just "uh?" and "okay...". we are expected to use that language as it is precise and does not suggests the same things behind. but we are also expected to write an essay so that the person who knows nothing of the subject will understand everything we say. it's kind of a middle position.

I know what you mean! I'm taking a sociology class right now, and the book is really intriguing, but I have come across a chapter or two where I was like WHAT!?!?! They were SO hard to read!!

Originally Posted by veilchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif I also hate such articles, and even my professor doesn't like them. It's not reader-friendly at all, and she says it would be a real sign of intelligence if the person could say what they wanted to say in a way that everyone can understand it (not just scientists or scholars themselves). She even said once in class that she thinks people who try to sound extremely scholarly and elaborate want to hide that there is no real content in their essay. It's just bla bla with nothing real to show for behind the surface. Gotta love her for this attitude
wink.gif
Haha, exactly! Tim Gunns reminds me of them folks who use nothing but big words, but coming from him - he just looks like a lover of vocabulary, he's those few who I can tolerate speaking like that because the Gunns is teh secks.

How'd it go Rosie? Understand what the article meant?

not really.. LOL. Like they keep saying what I want them to say for the point of my presentation, but I don't understand how they reached that conclusion. I'm going to get my parents and the bf to read it and see what they get out of it. Stupid papers!

I moved on to my OTHER stalled assignment. Sigh

Haha. Damn. I hate essays and researching. Not a fan of math but I got converted to it in college because you don't have to explain your conclusion in 10 pgs.

Good luck, lady.

Latest posts

Back