Double-Duty Beauty Products

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Unexpected uses for some of your most ordinary beauty products.

By Lisa Kovalovich

Sure, you rely on your old beauty standbys to be, well, old beauty standbys. But did you know that those faithful products can actually be used in more ways than one? Here, our top beauty two-fers.

The product: Hand lotion

Traditional use: To soften and hydrate parched skin, not just on hands, but on elbows, cuticles, and forearms, too.

Unexpected use: Frizz-fighter. Forget expensive serums and softeners -- to beat frizz on dry hair, simply smooth a bit of lotion over the fuzzy area. Instantly, the moisturizers in the lotion will smooth out frizz, leaving behind high shine.

The product: Lip balm

Traditional use: To soothe chapped, cracked lips, and to provide a soft base over which to apply lipstick.

Unexpected uses: Skin calmer and cuticle cream. Smooth balm (straight from the tube!) over cracked, scaly skin -- think around your nose when you have a cold, on cheeks before going out into the cold and wind, and over small patches of scaly eczema. Or sweep over dry, flaky cuticles to soften them.

The product: Perfume

Traditional use: To scent your skin and clothes.

Unexpected use: Hair freshener. Put a few drops of perfume in a bottle with distilled water. Shake bottle and spritz onto hair to revive and freshen after a night out or day at the office. Or, for a stronger freshening effect, spray perfume directly onto a brush, then gently brush through locks.

The product: Nail file

Traditional use: To smooth jagged edges on nails, and to keep tips at a manageable length.

Unexpected use: Callus remover. When you develop small, nonsensitive calluses on your palms (from playing tennis, moving furniture, or even vacuuming), use a medium-grit nail file to gently buff away the dead skin. Work on dry hands, and go gently -- you don't want to sand down too much skin!

The product: Conditioner

Traditional use: To hydrate, soften, and make hair manageable.

Unexpected uses: Hair cream and shaving solution. When in a pinch, use a pearl-sized drop of conditioner in place of hair cream or leave-in conditioner; it'll protect hair just as effectively. Also smooth on legs, underarms, and bikini area for a softer alternative to shaving cream.

great tips-I´ll try to use conditioner as hair cream from now on, sounds interesting

Whenever my hair is too frizzy at work, I use an unscented hand lotion that I have to smooth them down. It really does work!

Back