Drugstore Base Coat and top coat

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really love Orly's Bonder base coat - it dries but still leaves a rough, kind of tacky surface that really helps polish adhere and grip on to, which really helps extend the life of the manicure!

I started off using just the cheap Wet n Wild top coat a few years back but wanted to try Seche Vite fast dry top coat after somebody here mentioned it. I love the stuff & will very likely never stop using it (I'm in at least my 6th bottle now, which is available in some drugstores in Canada). It does start getting a bit thick towards the end of the bottle but I just thin it out using the actual polish thinner that Sally's sells. I use the Seche Vite between each coat of nail polish, which has resulted in ZERO broken nails for me. The stuff is bullet-proof if used the right way. BUT I detest the Seche Vite base coat. It's horrible stuff & just rapes my nails. They look terrible after I remove my nail polish between manicures. I ended up buying a very light flesh toned Wet n Wild nail polish from their MegaLast line which I now use as a base coat. It wears really well & doesn't make my nails look like they've been put through a meat grinder. Between that product as a base coat & Seche Vite between each nail polish coat, I never get chipping or breakage, and minimal to no tip wear (I wrap every coat of product over my nail tips to avoid that problem). Used to have to do my nails at least once every two weeks and they'd be looking raggedy by that point. I can now go a month and a half without doing them. The only touch ups I normally have to do are near my cuticles because as my nails grow, I end up with a space of bare nail between them & the upper edge of my nail polish. My nails have always grown very long, never had a problem with that, but I now actually have to trim them back between manicures because they get so insanely long & never break. LOVE Seche Vite fast dry top coat! Best nail product ever!

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started off using just the cheap Wet n Wild top coat a few years back but wanted to try Seche Vite fast dry top coat after somebody here mentioned it. I love the stuff & will very likely never stop using it (I'm in at least my 6th bottle now, which is available in some drugstores in Canada). It does start getting a bit thick towards the end of the bottle but I just thin it out using the actual polish thinner that Sally's sells. I use the Seche Vite between each coat of nail polish, which has resulted in ZERO broken nails for me. The stuff is bullet-proof if used the right way. BUT I detest the Seche Vite base coat. It's horrible stuff & just rapes my nails. They look terrible after I remove my nail polish between manicures. I ended up buying a very light flesh toned Wet n Wild nail polish from their MegaLast line which I now use as a base coat. It wears really well & doesn't make my nails look like they've been put through a meat grinder. Between that product as a base coat & Seche Vite between each nail polish coat, I never get chipping or breakage, and minimal to no tip wear (I wrap every coat of product over my nail tips to avoid that problem). Used to have to do my nails at least once every two weeks and they'd be looking raggedy by that point. I can now go a month and a half without doing them. The only touch ups I normally have to do are near my cuticles because as my nails grow, I end up with a space of bare nail between them & the upper edge of my nail polish. My nails have always grown very long, never had a problem with that, but I now actually have to trim them back between manicures because they get so insanely long & never break.

LOVE Seche Vite fast dry top coat! Best nail product ever!
wow that IS a long lasting mani!! that's so awesome :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't really "need" that though cuz I can't stand wearing the same color for too long XD but that's an awesome technique :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I do wrap every coat over my nail tips too, cuz I can't stand tip wear!

Originally Posted by heartsandwhimsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read thru this thread a few days ago and picked up some seche vite (which I had never tries) and its amazing! !! Cvs had a combo pack with a base coat and a top coat for 8.99. My nails dried so fast, are super shiny, and haven't chipped. I will nevrr use anything else.
That is a great deal :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> awesome!

I tried Seche Vite base coat once when it was free with the top coat and I hated it.My polish would come right off in no time. And that was with the top coat on! I read about other top coats and maybe they are better than Seche Vite Fast Dry, but I'm not going to take the chance of getting something that I don't like or doesn't work as well for me.I will always use it. I don't like the way it smells though.

With Seche, you need to use the base coat. If you read up on their website, it says that the top coat seals through your polish to the base coat. About the gel... I got a LED light at Walgreens by Kiss for $29 with a $4 coupon. Their polish kits are$19 with a $4 coupon. I have used it last week and it's been GREAT!!! I picked up the Sensationail French Manicure set to try. And now that I have the LED light, I can use all the other brands too!!! I haven't tried the gel base with regular polish and gel top coat.... I'll have to try it out sometime soon.

Originally Posted by coopsgrl98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With Seche, you need to use the base coat. If you read up on their website, it says that the top coat seals through your polish to the base coat.

About the gel... I got a LED light at Walgreens by Kiss for $29 with a $4 coupon. Their polish kits are$19 with a $4 coupon. I have used it last week and it's been GREAT!!! I picked up the Sensationail French Manicure set to try. And now that I have the LED light, I can use all the other brands too!!!

I haven't tried the gel base with regular polish and gel top coat.... I'll have to try it out sometime soon.
Their base coat, or any base coat? (Your post wasn't clear). I use OPI base coat and Seche top coat with success.

Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Their base coat, or any base coat? (Your post wasn't clear). I use OPI base coat and Seche top coat with success.
Actually they are not clear on their website either. 

Quote: Seche Viteâ„¢ dry fast top coat is widely acknowledged as the world's finest top coat. Specially formulated to penetrate through nail lacquer to the base coat forming a single solid coating over the nail plate for a much more durable finish. Guaranteed not to yellow while leaving nails silky, stronger and resistant to chipping and peeling.

Thank you all for all of the GREAT suggestions and information!!
claps.gif

Hethrlynn

I use Sinful Colors Basecoat. I don't know if you have Walgreen's near you, but that's where I bought mine. It works great and is under $4. I bought Seche Vite Topcoat base on other's recommendations on here, but I don't like it at all. I use Butter London's Topcoat. It's not cheap , but it work well for my nails.

Base coats are only necessary if your nails are cracked and chipped or your nails are discolored and you're using a semi-sheer or sheer nail color. The top coat is really the only additional step necessary! And if you have a good polish, you don't need a top coat either. That being said, I use Seche Vite (when necessary!).

Originally Posted by tintedlove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Base coats are only necessary if your nails are cracked and chipped or your nails are discolored and you're using a semi-sheer or sheer nail color. The top coat is really the only additional step necessary! And if you have a good polish, you don't need a top coat either. That being said, I use Seche Vite (when necessary!).
I disagree 100%. It's always a good idea to use both a base coat and a top coat. It makes the polish last longer, go on more evenly and protects your nail from discoloration. I used to think it didn't matter if you used a base/top coat, but once I started doing on a regular basis, I realized what a huge difference it actually makes.

I always use a base coat to keep my nails from yellowing...  Top coat really makes my polishes shiny and last way longer as well. 

The bottle I have that I just got today says, quote, "Seche Base is specially formulated to give Seche Vite the best anchor to hold onto." which I take to mean their polishes.

That said, I don't use their polishes, didn't realize this was not only NOT 3-free, but has bismuth oxychloride in it which I'm allergic to. I wish I'd read the fine print but I was in a hurry, as well as the other reviews floating around prior to purchasing, as it's not getting high marks. I got the ridge filler version, which is pearly white and not qutie what I was expecting :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I hope I can return or exchange it, CVS usualy takes stuff back  but I've never tried to do a polish. Should have gotten the SH or Essie, but was trying to save a few bucks. Meh.

Oh! Good to know :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have that Revlon but have not tried as a base coat yet. Works great as a top coat though but I REALLY like Essence XXX shine topcoat which is more like gel topcoat minus the light curing. Thicker than the Revlon but super shiny and lasts a while. Works fab over glitters, smooths out those that tend to be lumpy or grainy. Anyway, I was able to return the horrible Seche Vite to CVS and got a SH nourishing w/biotin, silk, 3-free base coat (light green bottle, didn't see any red bottles whatsoever for whomever rec`d that one...) and picked up Orly Bonder too to give it a whirl. I like the idea of a 'rubberized' base coat so hoping it works as well as it claims!

I'm itching to try Orly Bonder. It's in my cart at Amazon (8.50/freeship), I just have to go purchase it!

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have a special base coat, but I LOVE Sally Hansen's Insta-Dry Topcoat in the red bottle.  Can't do my nails without it.  Without, even if I let them dry for an hour before going to sleep, I get sheet wrinkles.  This dries my nails very fast, protects from wrinkles, and my manicure lasts long.  YaY!  =)

This is me....  I'm a die hard Sally Hansen Insta-Dry topcoat user if I don't have my China Glaze Fast Forward ...  but here lately all I've used has been Insta-Dry ... Love the stuff..

I bought Seche Vite last year. I had never used a fast dry top coat before. I thought it was da bomb, but then the bottle broke and the only top coat I could find in a pinch was Orly In A Snap. I like it better than Seche Vite. I use Orly Bonder Base Coat. I think it does help the polish last longer.

I disagree 100%. It's always a good idea to use both a base coat and a top coat. It makes the polish last longer, go on more evenly and protects your nail from discoloration. I used to think it didn't matter if you used a base/top coat, but once I started doing on a regular basis, I realized what a huge difference it actually makes.
I agree on the top coat and base coat being a necessity. I didn't know any better at first. My nail polish would last maybe a day without top coat and base coat. It makes the polish last way longer when I use both.

I agree on the top coat and base coat being a necessity. I didn't know any better at first. My nail polish would last maybe a day without top coat and base coat. It makes the polish last way longer when I use both.
I agree!! I use Zoya Ridge Filler base coat and Sally Hansen Insta Dry top coat and I can get almost 5 days out of a manicure. I work with a cash drawer every other week at work and polish alone doesn't stand up to that kind of abuse. But once I started using a good base & top coats, my nails are chip free for at least 4 days.

Back