Drugstore Base Coat and top coat

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has found a good base coat and top coat that you can pick up at a drugstore like Walgreens or CVS?  Any recommendations?  Thanks
redface.gif

Hethrlynn

CVS sells Seche Vite and it's an amazing top coat! You can find it for like $10, but you can find it online for around $5

i have a dumb question...what's the difference between a base coat and a top coat?  (can you tell i never do my nails?)

I'm no pro here :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but I use base coat(usually one that is good for my nails) first of all to protect the nail from the nail polish and so the polish doesn't stain your nails. And the top coat seals the color and protects it making it last longer :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Glad I could help :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I really recommend seche vite it makes your nail polish last a long time and you can apply it over wet nail polish and it dries super quick :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> You can always try others, I've tried one from orly(don't remember the name) and it was pretty good too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't have a special base coat, but I LOVE Sally Hansen's Insta-Dry Topcoat in the red bottle.  Can't do my nails without it.  Without, even if I let them dry for an hour before going to sleep, I get sheet wrinkles.  This dries my nails very fast, protects from wrinkles, and my manicure lasts long.  YaY!  =)

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have a special base coat, but I LOVE Sally Hansen's Insta-Dry Topcoat in the red bottle.  Can't do my nails without it.  Without, even if I let them dry for an hour before going to sleep, I get sheet wrinkles.  This dries my nails very fast, protects from wrinkles, and my manicure lasts long.  YaY!  =)
I second that! And for the base coat I've been using Revlon Quick Dry base coat for the longest time before switching to a fancy brand :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use Nailtiques Formula 2 as my base coat, cuz my nails keep on peeling, but I bought centrum for women under 50 and it has biotine which is recommended for nail growth! Before that...I didn't take any vitamins, only black currant seed oil for my hair *hides* but I've started taking vitamins! yay!

My favorite base coat is the OPI Natural Nail Base Coat.

My favorite top coats are:

Sally Hansen Insta-Dri (in red bottle -- but it gets thick and gloopy after only about a month which stinks), Seche Vite, and Out the Door.

I use Sally Hansen's nail strengthening base coats. They are great at keeping my nails from staining, even with dark colors like blues, blacks and reds. And despite my nails always being painted, I don't have that yellow tent to them. Additionally, I've seen a marked improvement in my nail's strength.

I like Out the Door (I've only seen it at Target or online) until I get down to the last 1/4 of the bottle then it doesn't always seem to dry right, and is a little thin. I've also been using Piggy Polish's top coat (don't remember the name and too lazy to go look:) ) and I like it, but it's a small bottle and a little expensive for me. I only use it when applying gems or lace on my nails.

I think I'll take the advice of some of you lovely people and try the Sally Hansen's Insta-dry top coat.

base coat is the coat you apply before nail polish, like the base. then you apply nail polish then you apply top coat to protect it. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use Nailtiques Formula 2 as my base coat, cuz my nails keep on peeling, but I bought centrum for women under 50 and it has biotine which is recommended for nail growth! Before that...I didn't take any vitamins, only black currant seed oil for my hair *hides* but I've started taking vitamins! yay!
I do the same with Nail-Tek Foundation II. I think they are close to the same. My nails are finally not peeling so I am impressed. And the nail-tek makes a wonderful base because it is a ridge filler too. So it even masks the peelies that you have!

Im my opinion Seche Vite Fast Dry Topcoat is the only one.  I get mine at Sally Beauty supplies though I did get one bottle at Walgreens. It does get thick because of the air that gets in when we use it but if it does just buy some polish thinner and use a drop or 2. Don't ever use nail polish remover to thin polish. Think about it. Also I have tightened the lid very tight and submerged it in a bowl of very warm, not hot, water. That works for long enough to do one mani.

Originally Posted by Marj B /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do the same with Nail-Tek Foundation II. I think they are close to the same. My nails are finally not peeling so I am impressed. And the nail-tek makes a wonderful base because it is a ridge filler too. So it even masks the peelies that you have!

Im my opinion Seche Vite Fast Dry Topcoat is the only one.  I get mine at Sally Beauty supplies though I did get one bottle at Walgreens. It does get thick because of the air that gets in when we use it but if it does just buy some polish thinner and use a drop or 2. Don't ever use nail polish remover to thin polish. Think about it. Also I have tightened the lid very tight and submerged it in a bowl of very warm, not hot, water. That works for long enough to do one mani.
Might have to try that out once I run out of Nailtiques :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Not all CVSs carry Seche though, and frequently it's sold out. :C Quite a few drugstores now carry Essie top/base as well, and for those I'd recommend the protein base and Good to Go for the top. I'm not sure if all drugstore carry those Essie treatments though. I'd possibly even rec that over Seche Vite beacuse because Seche Vite isn't 3-free :C

For things you can 100% find at drugstores, definitely the Sally Hansen Insta-dri top. There are a lot of people who use those as their go-to even. I love Seche Vite still, but I'm just finding things that work just as well or better for 90% of manis (not necessarily glitter though).

If you live near a Sally's, they do carry Seche though, but I'd grab the Poshe line. I think Sally might only carry their top coat, though, but I really love their base. Their top is pretty good too.

I have seen Seche products in Sally's, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, and Target. There are other great top coats but nothing shines like Seche Vite.

I read thru this thread a few days ago and picked up some seche vite (which I had never tries) and its amazing! !! Cvs had a combo pack with a base coat and a top coat for 8.99. My nails dried so fast, are super shiny, and haven't chipped. I will nevrr use anything else.

Latest posts

Back