Drugstore eyes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm currently a full time, unemployed college student who would like to increase my eye makeup collection. However, I am on a very tight budget. I know many of you are MAC fans, but are there any suggestions for good drugstore eyeshadows, eyeliners, or mascaras? I have blue eyes, brown hair, and very pale skin if it matters... thanks!

Milani is a great brand, most of their shadows are highly pigmented, and they cost $3.50 each at CVS Pharmacy! I also love L'Oreal Color Fresco cream eyeshadows, they are about $6 or $7, but since there's a limited number of colors you can't spend too much money trying to buy every shade.
wink.gif
I have one quad of a L'Oreal powder shadow that's not bad, but I've had bad luck with Maybelline shadows since they seem to be poorly pigmented. Oh, and I've also heard that Jane Eye Zings are pretty good though I haven't tried them.

Let's see, for eyeliners I have Maybelline Great Wear in Dark Chocolate, and it lasts all day with a base. (I just use foundation and loose powder for a base -- if I skip the powder my eye makeup disappears in an hour, but with powder it lasts all day!) I also have Cover Girl Perfect Point in Charcoal. I also just bought Rimmel Exaggerate in Aubergine (a very pretty purple color for about $5), and Jordanna eyeliners in Sterling Blue and Creamy Cocoa (2 for $3 at Walgreens). I haven't tried them all out yet but I will soon. All of my eyeliners are the automatic pencil kind, where you don't have to sharpen them. If you don't mind the wooden pencils, you can find more that are even cheaper -- Wet and Wild has a huge collection of colors for 99 cents each! I noticed Rimmel had some for about $2 or $3, cheaper than the automatic one I bought!

For mascara, I've been using Maybelline Lash Expansion Waterproof Mascara. It lengthens more than it thickens so it doesn't get as clumpy as some mascaras, and it last all day and is only about $5. I've also heard good reviews of Maybelline's Full and Soft Mascara, and L'Oreal's Architect (a little more expensive at $7 or $8).

As far as coloring goes, I am blonde, with blue eyes, and very pale, cool skin (some foundations do not make a shade dark enough for me!) I usually stick to neutral eyeshadows like browns and champagnes, though I just bought some colored eyeliner to play around with and may break down and buy some colored eyeshadow soon.
wink.gif
I also like my Color Fresco in Snowflake, a shimmery white shadow, because it brings out my small, deep-set eyes. I've also always heard that to make your eyes pop, you should wear colors opposite your eye color on the color wheel -- so for blue eyes, that means browns, peaches, oranges, and pinks. I also like to stick to pale lipsticks like pale pink or nudes, since anything darker tends to look orange on me! (I love L'Oreal's Endless Liquid Lipcolor in Forever Blushing, a pale pink, for about $7 -- it has the full color of a lipstick but the soft, liquid texture of a gloss! Looks great with the white shadow too!)

Those are the only eye products I've tried so far, but I'm also a poor college student so about all I buy are drugstore products! I also have a small collection of makeup but am working on building it up, so you can always ask me about other drugstore makeup!
biggrin.gif

There's a brand called Pallido, I found it at Ulta, and their eyeliners are like 2.50 and are really great. Very soft, smooth, and easy to apply.

Also Ulta brand stuff in general is great in my opinion. They have over 100 colors and you can test them all before buying. They have tons of buy 1 get 1 free deals or spend $15 and get a gift set or something like that so I'd check those out as well.

girl_geek has made great suggestions!

Though I do love MAC, there are good e/s from the drugstore. Milani e/s are really nice - I like Spice, Storm, and Java Bean. I also own Illusion, but I am on the fence about it. I think it has too much of a coral tone on me, so it has a tendency to make me look sickly. However, I think it would look fab on someone of darker coloring than me. L'oreal Color Frescos are also nice. I like Bubbly, Pistachio Ice, and Icy Spice (Icy Spice has been a long-time staple for me - I wore it almost exclusively before I developed my HUGE makeup addiction, LOL!). Some CG e/s are good quality, but it's more of a hit or miss. I do like Peach Melba and Real Java. Oh yeah, if you have access, Jane Eye Zings are also great on a budget.

For eyeliners, you really cannot beat Jordana Color XTend eyeliners. They're 2 for $5 at Walgreens and are my fave eyeliners! I own several highend liners, but my Color XTend in Blackout is what I find myself reaching for daily. If you don't have access to Jordana, I also like Revlon Colorstay eyeliners and Almay Intense i-Color liners.

For mascara, my HG is CG Super Thick Lash. It thickens, darkens, holds a curl, and wears like iron, yet it washes off easily with cleanser and water. I also like Maybelline Full N Soft.

I HTH!

I also have Icy Spice -- on me, the color is almost exactly the same as my skin color, but it gives my eyelids a nice golden shimmer! And I can always dress it up with eyeliner if I want some more color!

Originally Posted by bonbon412 Also Ulta brand stuff in general is great in my opinion. They have over 100 colors and you can test them all before buying. They have tons of buy 1 get 1 free deals or spend $15 and get a gift set or something like that so I'd check those out as well. Second that! LOVE Ulta brand makeup!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I'm seconding girl_geek and FeistyFemme. I heard Milani is very good too. Very pretty colors. Some are quite vibrant, much like MAC e/s.

Originally Posted by ooonitsreekooo I'm currently a full time, unemployed college student who would like to increase my eye makeup collection. However, I am on a very tight budget. I know many of you are MAC fans, but are there any suggestions for good drugstore eyeshadows, eyeliners, or mascaras? I have blue eyes, brown hair, and very pale skin if it matters... thanks!

I agree with the Milani recs. The e/s are incredible, and you can't complain with a $2.99 price tag!

If you can find NYX, they also have a beautiful selection of e/s. NYX sells for around $3.99 per single. The colors have a Stila-type wearable frosty shimmer. They also have some great matte colors.

i have to say i really like milani, rimmel, and maybelline. i love maybelline's waterproof liquid liner and the expert eyes pencils. I havent used anything better than the expert eyes pencils actually you need to heat them up with a match or a lighter but they wear like iron.

Originally Posted by charms23 I've been dying to try Milani e/s! However, whenever I go to CVS (I've been to a few), they only have a few e/s left! It's so sad and disappointing. Has anyone run into this problem before? Always happens to me whenever I go to walgreens. Then when I ask the ladies when they'll get more in, they go, "we don't carry that brand" when the display is right there! UGH.

Latest posts

Back