Drugstore Mascara

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Reaction score
I know I could go through the reviews to look for an answer, but I kinda wanted a "live" response.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I am now unemployed, I have no money for high-end cosmetics anymore. I have no mascara!!! I bought the 2000 Calorie mascara from Max Factor (recommended by a friend, AND on sale) and I hate it. It's really dry and takes me a long time to get my lashes thick. I like really thick lashes and very black. I like my Almay One Coat Thickening, but I am out of that too. Is there anything really good out there?

Originally Posted by Scarlette I know I could go through the reviews to look for an answer, but I kinda wanted a "live" response.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I am now unemployed, I have no money for high-end cosmetics anymore. I have no mascara!!! I bought the 2000 Calorie mascara from Max Factor (recommended by a friend, AND on sale) and I hate it. It's really dry and takes me a long time to get my lashes thick. I like really thick lashes and very black. I like my Almay One Coat Thickening, but I am out of that too. Is there anything really good out there? Drugstore mascara... hmm... I like L'Oreal's Lash Architect best. Has a nice big brush & is pretty thick. I'm so sorry to hear about your job; I hope everything is ok.
icon_sad.gif

Scarlett!! Nice AVATAR change! Looks great

Originally Posted by Scarlette

I know I could go through the reviews to look for an answer, but I kinda wanted a "live" response.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I am now unemployed, I have no money for high-end cosmetics anymore. I have no mascara!!! I bought the 2000 Calorie mascara from Max Factor (recommended by a friend, AND on sale) and I hate it. It's really dry and takes me a long time to get my lashes thick. I like really thick lashes and very black. I like my Almay One Coat Thickening, but I am out of that too. Is there anything really good out there?

Well, everything isn't ok, but I will live. Macy's is a shady company to work for, they screw up a lot of people in the cosmetics department. Thanks for the recommendation, I saw the ad for that one on TV and it looked pretty good.

Lovely Avatar Scarlette! Have you tried L'Oreal's Voluminous or Lash Out? I like those & CG's Marathon (waterproof) b/c they really last a long time & make my lashes full. My HG is still Za Waterproof, but I'm not sure if Longs Drugs in the bay area carries it.

Hang in there hun. You're a talented MA & no doubt you'll find a job quickly. In fact, check out the Armani counter @ SFA Union Square. If you get a job, I'd love for you to do a makeover the next time I'm in town.
wink.gif

Sorry to hear about your job Scarlette? Was it your decision to leave BeneFit or were they cutting back (sorry for being nosey, no need to answer if u don't want to!)..

About the mascara, i'm really liking Rimmel Extra Super Lash mascara at the moment if you wanna give that a try
biggrin.gif

Macy's fired me without warning over something really stupid. They claim that I wasn't processing returns the right way. I've been there for 2 years, you think I would know all the rules by now, but they never told me what was appropriate and what wasn't as far as proper procedures. It's very stupid. They fired 3 girls at my counter for the same thing. The whole Benefit counter was wiped out.

OMG that blows!!! Sorry to hear that. Sheesh!

I hate companies who are lame like that. Hopefull you can get another job soon. We are wishing you the best OK?

Macy's fired me without warning over something really stupid. They claim that I wasn't processing returns the right way. I've been there for 2 years, you think I would know all the rules by now, but they never told me what was appropriate and what wasn't as far as proper procedures. It's very stupid. They fired 3 girls at my counter for the same thing. The whole Benefit counter was wiped out.

Originally Posted by Scarlette Macy's fired me without warning over something really stupid. They claim that I wasn't processing returns the right way. I've been there for 2 years, you think I would know all the rules by now, but they never told me what was appropriate and what wasn't as far as proper procedures. It's very stupid. They fired 3 girls at my counter for the same thing. The whole Benefit counter was wiped out. OMG! I'm so sorry to hear that!
You should really reconsider Sephora. The Sephora by me has the most helpful gals in it! I love it!

I wrote you a post about it. I don't know if you saw it or not:

http://makeuptalk.com/forums/showthr...32873#poststop

As for drugstore MU, I have no clue. Sorry I can't help you there.

CG Full & Soft, and L'Oreal Voluminous seem to be the top 2 contenders.

That sucks big time, Scarlette
frown.gif
I'm so sorry!

Cover Super Thick Lash and Maybelline Volum Express WP are my faves. HTHS!

Jeez, that was harsh Scarlette wasn't it? Do you have any comeback? Considering you worked there for 2 years you'd think there would be some law against them firing you on the spot.. Even though we don't have a Macy's in Ireland, i promise you if i'm ever in America i won't support them
biggrin.gif

The company really does suck. Here are some reasons why (vent, vent!)

- Even if you are a top seller, you can't get a transfer to another store (let's say you have to move) unless you open 2 or more express credit card accounts per week.

-They use the express credit excuse for everything. I was written up twice for not making my credit goal.

-You only get a raise if your express credit goal is 2 or more, and if you do, you get 10 cents every six months or year.

-If you are promoted and you are going to another store, they will do anything they can to delay your promotion.

-They secretly have you sign a document that says you can't sue Macy's if something happens. I don't remember signing it or not signing it!

It's horrible. The thing about Sephora is not going to happen since the nearest one to me is too far. I can't afford a car, I live in the Bay Area, the most expensive place to live in the United States, so I am limited to only one mall, which doesn't have Sephora. I may consider going back to my Victoria's Secret beauty job, but the pay is just a few cents above minimum wage. I will be homeless with that wage. Someone suggested Starbucks, I would be making more there than at Macy's, even after my two raises. (10 cents..ugh)

Thanks you guys for support. There are worse things going on than the job situation, but they are fading away a little. My dentist also gave me some bad news.
icon_eek.gif

10 CENTS???????? Jesus...that aint shit

You know, one killer place to work is Home Depot, I heard they pay like 15-18/hour even part time

The company really does suck. Here are some reasons why (vent, vent!)
- Even if you are a top seller, you can't get a transfer to another store (let's say you have to move) unless you open 2 or more express credit card accounts per week.

-They use the express credit excuse for everything. I was written up twice for not making my credit goal.

-You only get a raise if your express credit goal is 2 or more, and if you do, you get 10 cents every six months or year.

-If you are promoted and you are going to another store, they will do anything they can to delay your promotion.

-They secretly have you sign a document that says you can't sue Macy's if something happens. I don't remember signing it or not signing it!

It's horrible. The thing about Sephora is not going to happen since the nearest one to me is too far. I can't afford a car, I live in the Bay Area, the most expensive place to live in the United States, so I am limited to only one mall, which doesn't have Sephora. I may consider going back to my Victoria's Secret beauty job, but the pay is just a few cents above minimum wage. I will be homeless with that wage. Someone suggested Starbucks, I would be making more there than at Macy's, even after my two raises. (10 cents..ugh)

Thanks you guys for support. There are worse things going on than the job situation, but they are fading away a little. My dentist also gave me some bad news.
icon_eek.gif

I had a drugstore haul today! hahaha!

I bought the L'Oreal Architect mascara like Joy suggested. I haven't tried it yet, but I will see tomorrow morning.

I got two tubes of John Frieda Spotlight, my favorite hair serum.

Got a really , really good lip liner called LOVE by Prestige. I will use this for the rest of my life. Looks really good with my MAC Pink Plaid and Snob lipsticks.

Sorry to hear this happened to you Scarlette....I'm sure you'll find a makeup artist job soon that will even be better than the old one. We will keep fingers crossed for you.

Hey Scarlette,

Sorry to hear about the job... but working under those conditions you are probably better off! 10 Cents?? Do they still think this is 1950?? Geesh!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Have you tried local hair salons/spas?? Many hair salons are willing to hire someone to do makeup - it expands their services and can give you a really nice lead in getting a good following going... I know when I did hair, there were tons of people that were also looking to get MU done (if they were going to a wedding,party, etc.) Or you can print up some of your own business cards and do it on the side freelance P/T for some extra $$$. Also check out any surgeons/plastic surgeons in the area - a lot have MA's to do makeup on people after surgery to help them feel better.... If there is an Ulta nearby... they have people doing MU too... But I would make up some business cards (you can even do them @ home w/ just a pack of business cards from an office supply store and the free software on avery.com) then just pass em' around. I'm sure there is a demand for MA's in CA - it's the Glamour capital of the world!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Sorry to hear bout your dentist prob's too... I have seen mine more this year than just about anyone! So I know what you're going through w/ that... bad dentist news is always a bummer. Me & my bro have had 'soft enamel' since we were babies... hereditary I guess... so no matter what we do or any precautions we take, out teeth will always be prone to cavities... & worse problems.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah.. (duh) I almost forgot about your original question!! LOL I pretty much always use drugstore mascara... they all seem similar to me, so why spend more? lol (plus I'm an underpaid tightwad! lol) My 2 favorites so far are Maybelline Volum' Turbo Boost Waterproof, and L'Oreal Panoramic curl. I like that they have big fat brushes, and really thicken out my puny lashes...
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the support, everyone. It means a lot to me right now. I know this is a makeup board, I sort of feel strange putting my feelings on it, you know what I mean? I have much more problems going on than the job situation, and I guess I come here to escape it once in a while.

I haven't tried the salons yet, sounds like a good idea. I have a MAC training manual that I am going to read up on and get some good tips before I venture out to look for work. I still have problems applying E/S on people with small lids and deep set eyes, I have had trouble in the past with customers because I was never trained how to apply makeup, only sales techniques and product knowledge at Benefit. I learned how to apply makeup by testing it on customers who had no idea that I didn't know what to do. I've come a long way since I started, I am pretty good now, but I still can't figure out how MAC applies eyeshadow they way they do.

I have three business cards now, one for my web design business, one for Macy's and one for just information on how to contact me. I think I should get one that looks more like a makeup artist card. I get everything off of vistaprint.com and I can get tons of cards for $5. I think for 20 bucks you can design your own and have them print em up for you.

And about the mascara! Ya know, L'Oreal has SO many to choose from, I have no idea what each one does for you. It's weird, I read all the labels and it seems like it says all of the same thing. I will try the architect one and see what happens!

Originally Posted by Scarlette Thanks for the support, everyone. It means a lot to me right now. I know this is a makeup board, I sort of feel strange putting my feelings on it, you know what I mean? I have much more problems going on than the job situation, and I guess I come here to escape it once in a while.
I haven't tried the salons yet, sounds like a good idea. I have a MAC training manual that I am going to read up on and get some good tips before I venture out to look for work. I still have problems applying E/S on people with small lids and deep set eyes, I have had trouble in the past with customers because I was never trained how to apply makeup, only sales techniques and product knowledge at Benefit. I learned how to apply makeup by testing it on customers who had no idea that I didn't know what to do. I've come a long way since I started, I am pretty good now, but I still can't figure out how MAC applies eyeshadow they way they do.

I have three business cards now, one for my web design business, one for Macy's and one for just information on how to contact me. I think I should get one that looks more like a makeup artist card. I get everything off of vistaprint.com and I can get tons of cards for $5. I think for 20 bucks you can design your own and have them print em up for you.

And about the mascara! Ya know, L'Oreal has SO many to choose from, I have no idea what each one does for you. It's weird, I read all the labels and it seems like it says all of the same thing. I will try the architect one and see what happens!

Well, being you look like you just stepped out of a makeup ad... you could always do some modeling for makeup lines!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back