dYING My hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, my names Kat, my hair is naturally black, and im planning to do a sort of avril style in the my happy ending video ( for those of you who haven't seen it) what I want to do, is put purple underneath my hair, and then put purple streaks on top of my hair, starting from my roots. But, I dont know which purple I should do, any ideas?

I've never seen Avril video, but when I was doing purple hair I used Manic Panic in Purple Haze or Ultra Violet.

Originally Posted by Tears_Of_Blood Hello, my names Kat, my hair is naturally black, and im planning to do a sort of avril style in the my happy ending video ( for those of you who haven't seen it) what I want to do, is put purple underneath my hair, and then put purple streaks on top of my hair, starting from my roots. But, I dont know which purple I should do, any ideas?

Originally Posted by ximmaspecial1x I don't have an answer to what color for you to use. I was just wondering if I am correct in thinking that you are going to have to first bleach all of the hair that you want purple first, and then dye it purple? Girl, that is going to be so damaging! I mean, of course, do what you want! Experiment - it's tons of fun. But I would suggest really thinking aobut it first if that is what you are going to have to do. I highlighted my hair (with bleach) about 2 years ago, and so much of it is still so damaged.
Well anyway, good luck with picking your purple! Hope it looks absolutely fantastic!

Bleaching isn't so bad. It just has to be done right I think. hmm... it has been about three months since I last bleached and I'm about due.

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl Bleaching isn't so bad. It just has to be done right I think. hmm... it has been about three months since I last bleached and I'm about due. ok,how do you bleach hair without damaging it? Every stylist ive been to say bleach is horrible for your hair.Dont you get that orangey color?My friend used to bleach her hair all the time withthis blue stuff,surprisingly her hair was in decent condition.

Originally Posted by nydoll23 ok,how do you bleach hair without damaging it? Every stylist ive been to say bleach is horrible for your hair.Dont you get that orangey color?My friend used to bleach her hair all the time withthis blue stuff,surprisingly her hair was in decent condition. I think it is called Quick Blue. I buy it from the beauty supply store, not the drugstore. I picked up something different this time because the package was purple. I can't remember what it is called.
And yeah bleaching can be really bad for your hair, especially if you bleach regularly for a long time. I wait at least three months between bleachings, I don't mind the roots so much. I condition like crazy. I only bleach the roots that need it, not the whole length of the hair. The orangey color means you haven't bleach all the color out. My hairdresser was really surprised by the condition of my hair. It really isn't dry or fried at all. And if one day my hair all falls off it won't be the end of the world because there are so many cute short hairstyles.

Maybe the hairdressers on the board can help with more info? (I can't remember who it was that is a hairdresser, sorry!)

You know, ancient Greeks and Egyptians used lye to bleach their hair. They also used henna to color their hair.

All I know is that if your hair is black black black (like on asians and black people), the colour won't show if you do it yourself. You have to bleach it, or go to a professional and let them do it. Although the latter is costly.

Originally Posted by Tears_Of_Blood Hello, my names Kat, my hair is naturally black, and im planning to do a sort of avril style in the my happy ending video ( for those of you who haven't seen it) what I want to do, is put purple underneath my hair, and then put purple streaks on top of my hair, starting from my roots. But, I dont know which purple I should do, any ideas? whOOo...if u are from canada like i am, there's going to be a line of semi-permanant dyes that they always sell in salon. i am originally from vancouver, and i use to dye my hair light Magenta.
I originally have black hair, but i have been dying since i was 12 with an assortment of colors. (click on my notebook there's a list), but i think u would have to streak ur hair with bleach first (leave it to the professionals, trust me, it's not worth the heart break) and the purple, u can just get the semi permanent from them. it's in a long tube (i forgot the name brand of it, but it has crazy colors like green and navy) so go wild!

although it's damaging to the hair, and u would probably regret it (hehe i have dyed my hair 24 times and bleached it 3 times in my life so far) so i know where u getting at
biggrin.gif
but hey, if u love to play with the hair like i do, hair can be chopped off and regrown. so have fun girl!

Originally Posted by nydoll23 ok,how do you bleach hair without damaging it? Every stylist ive been to say bleach is horrible for your hair.Dont you get that orangey color?My friend used to bleach her hair all the time withthis blue stuff,surprisingly her hair was in decent condition. I agree!! ANd the damage is worse when you are trying to go from black to blonde which is a dramatic change!!! My hair is naturally black and I started with some highlights..well I got addicted to them and the more I bleached it the worse It got over time..I ended up with a straw like hair!!! I had to go for almost a year without doing anyhing to my hair to make it look decent again!!!
icon_cry.gif
My best solution: I don't mess with highlights or weird colors because in the process of maintain it you damage your hair big time!!! Right now my hair is a medium bron color and is easy to maintain! :icon_love

I'd definetly go to a salon and have the purple done professionally as your going for a lighter colour. I had redish hair this time last year, and I tried to get it back to my natural colour (blonde), I died it so many times it was like straw, eventually I just left it a very dark brown.. eventually that faded, then I was able to to have highlights. Thank god it summer and my hair has been lightened by the sun!

I would guess Manic Panic... they make some funky colors! I've just heard from some that the dye is somewhat messy and can tend to rub off on things and come out a little when you wash it. But as far as color choices that are really bright - that's the way to go.
icon_smile.gif

I actually did that exact look to my hair. One of my clients gave me a tub of semi permanent purple hair dye. It smells like grapes and it works well on dark hair as well. I can't remember which company makes it and I am not at home. It is not manic panic though. There is another company called Jeans color, it is a european line and it works really well, again semi permanent and effective on all shades. Good luck though it is a really fun look. Nydoll23 do you lighten your hair yourself or do you have it done at a salon?

Latest posts

Back