Eat This and Benefit!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good news!

Check out the added benefits of these yummy foods!

applesline.gif

Raisins:
Raisins are one of the top antioxidants because they contain phytochemicals as well as adding iron and potassium to your diet. (Phytochemicals are plant chemicals that contain protective,disease-preventing compounds.) They also provide two kids of fibre... soluble and insoluble.

<TABLE borderColor=#ffffff cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=95 bgColor=#ffffff borderColorLight=#000000 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap align=middle>yogurt</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> Yogurt:
Oh so lovely and creamy- yum! Here are 5 reasons to go for yogurt-
  • Just one cup of yogurt will help blemishes clear up thanks to the zinc it contains
  • For menopausal women, it offers more calcium than milk (this is good if you do not like milk!)
  • Plain yogurt is often used as a facial mask. Plain yogurt will cleanse the skin quite nicely. (use without wearing makeup)
  • It is also often used to soothe an itchy scalp. And while it is soothing the scalp, it is also working on your dandruff. Apply, wrap hair in a towel and then rinse after 15 minutes.
  • Hands and nails can also benefit from yogurt. Simply combine 8 ounces of plain yogurt with the juice of one lemon. Return to the refrigerator for several hours and then use to massage your hands and nails. Rinse and pat your hands dry and you should notice the difference. Hands should be soft and supple. Try not to lick your fingers. Jk
Nuts:
Nuts have been found to contain the beneficial fats which contribute to lowering the cholesterol instead of raising it. There is also evidence that constituents found in nuts may be beneficial to intestinal and prostate health.<SCRIPT>zSB(3,3);if(!z336){var zIsb=document.getElementById("adsb");if(zIsb){zIsb .style.display="inline";zIsb.style.height="0px";zI sb.style.width="0px";}var zIss=document.getElementById("adss");if(zIss){zIss .style.display="inline";zIss.style.height="0px";zI ss.style.width="0px";}}</SCRIPT> Nuts contain a wealth of protein, vitamins and minerals as well as anti-oxidants.

Bananas:
Virtually fat-free, bananas are delicious and nutritious. Bananas are rich in vitamins, potassium, calcium and manganese. There isn't an inch of you that doesn't benefit from bananas. Apparently, The Body Shop used 250,000 bananas each year for their banana products. Check out all these beauty treatments that use bananas!

• Facial Mask: Mash 1/2 of a banana and apply. Relax for a half hour and then remove with cool water. Bananas are rich in oils that will keep the skin from drying out.
  • Exfoliating mask: blend a mashed banana with white cosmetic clay and apply. This mask is both moisturizing and nourishing.
  • For damaged hair, combine a ripe banana with a few drops of almond oil. Massage into your hair and then allow to work it's wonders for about 15 minutes. Rinse with soda water and then shampoo and condition as usual.
  • Your hands can benefit from bananas as well. Mash a banana with a little butter and then rub the mixture into your hands. That is all there is to it. (again, do not lick hands ... heh heh)
  • Have a banana drink. Bananas contain just as much potassium (see below) as milk!
We wouldn't get much done without potassium. Nerves need it to tell muscles what to do, and muscles need it to do what they're told. It helps keep our body's fluids in balance and regulate our blood pressure.

High levels of potassium may reduce the risk of hypertension and stroke. Not only can potassium help lower blood pressure, some experts feel it may offer additional stroke-protection benefits.

Here is a recipe, beloved MuT'ers, for a yummy and nutritious banana shake!

artfrogtude.jpg
Banana Shake
newbananas.gif

<CENTER>
  • 1 banana
  • 1/3 cup of ice milk
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • add calories as you please (i.e.other fruits, sorbet, honey, etc)
</CENTER>
201banner7.jpg
Article by Cali with substantial (lol) help from about.com's nutrition experts. Yeah experts! Ty ty ty!

Hey Cali,

I just got the free sample of the Hi-Lo ceral and also one of their chocolate protein bars, both are very good. I got the Maple Pecan cereal and it is yummy, taste like cruncy pancakes with maple syrup LOL. The protein bar is a lot better than others I have tried too, doesn't have that chalky after taste to it. Thanks for the link to get a freebie sample, I'll buy it
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Harleymom10860 Hey Cali,I just got the free sample of the Hi-Lo ceral and also one of their chocolate protein bars, both are very good. I got the Maple Pecan cereal and it is yummy, taste like cruncy pancakes with maple syrup LOL. The protein bar is a lot better than others I have tried too, doesn't have that chalky after taste to it. Thanks for the link to get a freebie sample, I'll buy it
icon_biggrin.gif

Hiya HarleyM,
score.jpg
... I got my samples too! I am intimidated by the pecans, but will give it a go since you have had a pleasant experience with the cereal. hehe. I have the bar too and will munch it within a day or three.

I wonder if we would benefit here by having food reviews. I want to try the new Corn Flakes with banana chips that Ali recommended. I have no idea why I like banana chips, I just do. Fruit is so yummy. I also love dried apricots. Have you tried those? Ok, I've gone on a tangent. Oops. For the record, dried applies and dried peaches also rock.

Glad you liked the samples.

mutmonkey.gif

Excellent info - and thanks for the reminder for the freebie! I need to do that!
smile.gif
I think I'll print this info out and hang it on my fridge - I need the reminder!

Originally Posted by Californian Hiya HarleyM,
score.jpg
... I got my samples too! I am intimidated by the pecans, but will give it a go since you have had a pleasant experience with the cereal. hehe. I have the bar too and will munch it within a day or three.

I wonder if we would benefit here by having food reviews. I want to try the new Corn Flakes with banana chips that Ali recommended. I have no idea why I like banana chips, I just do. Fruit is so yummy. I also love dried apricots. Have you tried those? Ok, I've gone on a tangent. Oops. For the record, dried applies and dried peaches also rock.

Glad you liked the samples.

mutmonkey.gif

Food reviews? I volunteer to be a taste tester LOL, I love dried fruit too! I have a food dehydrator but for some reason I can't get bananas to the texture I want (kinda crunchy). I'm on a fresh peaches kick now, we get the sweetest Georgia peaches, I need to find my grandmothers recipe for freezer peaches, they were a real treat on hot summer days.

Originally Posted by Harleymom10860 Food reviews? I volunteer to be a taste tester LOL, I love dried fruit too! I have a food dehydrator but for some reason I can't get bananas to the texture I want (kinda crunchy). I'm on a fresh peaches kick now, we get the sweetest Georgia peaches, I need to find my grandmothers recipe for freezer peaches, they were a real treat on hot summer days. You're speaking my language. I like jerky too. I'd love to have a dehydrator. Trader Joes is the best source for dried foods here, although I am not sure if you have one in your neck of the woods?My husband has even tried freeze dried ice cream before. LOL. I guess that's what they gave to astonauts. Doesn't sound appealing to me, but he said it was yummy.

201banner6.jpg

Hey Cali, Nope, no Trader Joes here. I checked out their website and it looks like Florida is one of the only states they haven't opened up a store yet, wish they would, it sounds great!

Hi, I just got the Hi-Lo freebie in the mail today too, only I ordered it for my hubby (hi cholesterol). Thanks for letting me know it's a good thing, Harleymom, cuz now I can convince him to eat it! Frozen peaches sounds like heaven. I've been thinking about frozen grapes lately, but frozen peaches are the best. I love fruit, esp. blueberries. I can eat blueberries all day without stopping & never get tired of them. Never heard of Trader Joes. The only dried fruit around here is the yucky stuff at the grocery store that never gets sold or emptied from the shelves. Some of it's just too gross!

Latest posts

Back