Eat your sunscreen

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
interesting (and timely) article I read on Prevention...........

Eat Your Sunscreen

Iced green tea and mint help shield your skin

by Gloria McVeigh

High-SPF sunblock is hands down your best skin cancer defense, but you may be able to add protection from the inside out. In studies on people, animals, and skin cancer cells, certain nutrients blocked ultraviolet (UV) sunlight-triggered changes that can lead to cancer. So load up on those nutrients by eating more of these superstar sources.

Red, yellow, and orange fruits and vegetables contain carotenoids, which reduced sunburn--a skin cancer risk factor--in studies in humans.

Tart cherries and peppermint leaves are rich in perillyl alcohol, recently found to stop cancer formation in human cells under intense UV light.

Leafy greens have lutein and zeaxanthin, which stopped UV-induced cell proliferation in Harvard animal studies.

Green tea contains antioxidants called EGCGs, which blocked DNA damage in light-exposed human skin cells at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Oranges, lemons, and limes have limonene, linked to a 34% reduction in skin cancer risk among 470 people in a University of Arizona study.

Wild salmon is a safe source of fish oils, which protected 42 people in a British study from UV-induced sunburn and cancerous DNA changes.

Sunscreen Soup

sunscreen_soup.jpg

<TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>1 lg cantaloupe, cubed

2 Tbsp honey

Juice of 3 limes

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Pinch of cardamom

4 strawberries (garnish)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Microwave cantaloupe on medium for 2 minutes. Blend with remaining ingredients until smooth. Serve in chilled bowls; garnish with strawberries.

Makes 4 servings

Gloria McVeigh is the Prevention Nutrition News Editor.

Sounds great if served very cold!
tongue.gif

I am prone to Polymorphic Light Eruption, which basically is a sun allergy. Great, right?? What helps prevent rashes is a regular intake of beta carotene (carotenoids). My dermatologist recommended this because it helps strengthen the skin's resistance to sun damage. Beta-carotene is fat-soluble and if taken as a supplement, should be taken with meals containing at least 3 g of fat to ensure absorption. I take one pill per day, plus try to eat some of the red and orange veggies and fruits each day.

Thank goodness it's strawberry season!

Originally Posted by shoediva interesting (and timely) article I read on Prevention...........
Eat Your Sunscreen

Iced green tea and mint help shield your skin

by Gloria McVeigh

High-SPF sunblock is hands down your best skin cancer defense, but you may be able to add protection from the inside out. In studies on people, animals, and skin cancer cells, certain nutrients blocked ultraviolet (UV) sunlight-triggered changes that can lead to cancer. So load up on those nutrients by eating more of these superstar sources.

Red, yellow, and orange fruits and vegetables contain carotenoids, which reduced sunburn--a skin cancer risk factor--in studies in humans.

Tart cherries and peppermint leaves are rich in perillyl alcohol, recently found to stop cancer formation in human cells under intense UV light.

Leafy greens have lutein and zeaxanthin, which stopped UV-induced cell proliferation in Harvard animal studies.

Green tea contains antioxidants called EGCGs, which blocked DNA damage in light-exposed human skin cells at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Oranges, lemons, and limes have limonene, linked to a 34% reduction in skin cancer risk among 470 people in a University of Arizona study.

Wild salmon is a safe source of fish oils, which protected 42 people in a British study from UV-induced sunburn and cancerous DNA changes.

Sunscreen Soup

sunscreen_soup.jpg

<TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>1 lg cantaloupe, cubed

2 Tbsp honey

Juice of 3 limes

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Pinch of cardamom

4 strawberries (garnish)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Microwave cantaloupe on medium for 2 minutes. Blend with remaining ingredients until smooth. Serve in chilled bowls; garnish with strawberries.

Makes 4 servings

Gloria McVeigh is the Prevention Nutrition News Editor.

What a cool article..Thank you ShoeDiva

Very Interesting and informative. Now i know that all the green tea i drink is doing something good!

Latest posts

Back