Ebay Has Been Hacked! Please Be Proactive!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nox

Reaction score
Ebay has been hacked today. People's credit card information (AND security numbers) and bank data has been accessed. It is being displayed to the public, and more and more information keeps being publicly posted while Ebay does NOTHING.

Please, check to make sure that you are not one of the ones made vulnerable by this publicized list.

eBay Forums: * * * Ebay Hacked! - Credit Cards, ...

Here is Ebay trying to cover their behinds. They did not stop this nonsense even as it was happening. Alot of people are potentially at risk right now.

This is the letter they released trying to play it down.

eBay - The Chatter

okay, where's the list? i clicked the link you provided, but nothing. i'm scared!

Shiznit.

I will try this again... I'm not gonna hyper link it, so just copy and paste.

eBay Forums: * * * Ebay Hacked! - Credit Cards, ...

Here is a YouTuber who wisely documented this:

YouTube - ebaY Major Hack AttacK! User's Data Posted On Ebay T&S Bd

Okay, Jennifer, do a search for your Ebay user name, and see if it comes up. If it doesn't that's good, but you may not be out of the woods yet.

If you store your information with PayPal, you are a little bit safer. They would have had to hack Paypal to get all your info. They have your user name, but they don't have your password (which I assume most people use a different one on Paypal. If you don't, then....)

Where exactly is the list of names hacked into? I wonder why they didn't send an e-mail out either?!

I'm glad I don't ues a credit card there... only money orders... for a couple reasons... mainly crossdressing related...

Guess someone could have found out how many wigs I've purchased? lol

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Where exactly is the list of names hacked into? I wonder why they didn't send an e-mail out either?! Ebay? Email it's users? Madam, you speak of oxymorons. I think it is even written in it's policy that they are absolved from doing anything of the sort.
It was in the Ebay Forums. A rapidly growing list that was more than 20 pages long at last count. Ebay has since FINALLY shut it down. But it was up long enough for people to start panicking. Millions of people have been notified already by word of mouth, forum, email, YouTube, whatever... none of it by Ebay, all by friends and family.

The fact that Ebay did not shut down their servers while users sat in frustration as page after page of credit card account info was publicly displayed is baffling. Ebay apparently does not care about it's sellers. I will not use Ebay to initiae one more selling transaction again. I'm doing an official Ebay boycott. There are several others who are preserving all the information they can and sending it to their local and national media outlets.

This is outrageous. I'm sure there were professional identity thieves having a field day with this tomfoolery!
irked.gif

Please everyone, I know this might seem like just silly dramatics, but I am dead serious about this, all Ebay users, keep a close eye on your credit/debit cards.

This is the kind of info that was posted:

Username, Email, Phone, Name, Street, City, State, Zip, Country, Feedback, Registration site, User status, Power Seller, Payment method, C C ard No. (with exp date), C redit card CVV2 code (the three digit code on the back of your card); Id verified; Store; Registered on; and Paypal Verified or Unverified.

As of what I know right now, Paypal has not been hacked. But do still be proactive. Maybe you may want to take some proactive steps regarding this. Do what you must, but please protect yourselves.

Well crap--wonder where that leaves me? I have done everything on eBay and am tired of all the crap coming out about it. What kind of nut am I?"??

ok well i just searched my name and found nothing. Im a bit worried since i just sold something on there. hmm

found this

Quote:
Trust & Safety forums issue this morningPosted by eBay Chatter on September 25, 2007 at 02:15 PM in General | Permalink

Some of our readers may have learned of an issue that occurred early this morning on one of our discussion forums. I've been talking with our Account Security and Legal teams, and I'd like to share some more details about this incident.

Very early this morning, a malicious fraudster posted on the Trust & Safety forum on eBay.com posing as approximately 1,200 eBay users. The fraudster made these posts in a way that was intended to appear as though he logged in with their accounts. The posts contained name and contact information, which appears to be valid, and could have been secured as part of an account take over.

The posts ALSO appeared to contain credit card information -- however, these credit cards are not associated with financial information on file for these users at eBay or PayPal. We're in the process of reaching out by phone to these members to, so that if the information is valid somehow -- regardless how this fraudster acquired the information -- these members can take the steps they need to take to protect themselves.

eBay and our forums vendor, LiveWorld, began taking steps to remedy the situation within an hour after it started. As things evolved behind the scenes, a decision was made to make the the Trust & Safety forum unavailable to our Community. It's still temporarily inaccessible, as the teams work on this issue.

I'll update this story later as we have more to share.

haha, i was reading thru the forum and it sounds like it was infact another hack (remember hearing bout this b4, and thank GOD, i took my info off...)

So apparently they're (ebay) trying to distance themselves from the issue...

And, I don't know why yr cvv number should be stored. That's yr credit card security info, and you should be made to enter it EVERY TIME you make a purchase. Should be illegal for companies to store that kinda info in ANY data base for the sake of "convenience"

I think I'm gonna go thru my bank statement tonight and go to each co. i've done a transaction with and take my card info off...

This is scary, but we should be proactive in other ways from now on...

ps

did u guys know that there are MANUALS on hackin ebay?

did a google search for "ebay hack" and found a slew of them...

SCARY :|

Okay, regarding The List... there is no more public list. It has been pulled down from the Ebay fourms. However... this does not mean that it is not published somewhere else. I am not going to invest a lot of time in trying to search for a possible List Hideout. It is more important that you take personal accounting of your own financial information and make sure you're protected.

I'm really glad I just changed banks and paypal accounts and completely made up another password for it!

well i hope that i am not on the list because somebody already stole my credit card and used it so now they are doing invistigation. so i advice you people be careful with ebay because thats the easiest site to hack into

Latest posts

Back