Eco-Emi discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is the January Eco-Emi box it arrived yesterday.  The only thing ive used so far is the lavander-orange lip balm which i love.  I threw that in my purse rightaway lol.  Its suppose to help endangered species everytime a lip balm is bought and it has an adorable Hawaiian Monk Seal on it.  I already cancelled this subscriptions i just feel there is better ones out there then receiving laundy detergent and tea all the time.

LOL I second the tea motion! I love tea but I had tea in almost all my boxes.

It wouldn't be so bad but i already have alot of tea and no tea kettle.  The boyfriend left it on the stove and forgot about it lol.  I might just occasionally buy the bonus boxes from eco-emi they come with twice the amount of samples and a dollar cheaper.

Did anyone get the February box?  Christine did a lovely job with it.  

• Oluv Olive Oil Soap - I like soaps made from just oil, lye and essential oils, so this is a keeper.  (BTW, basically any bar soap that's really soap contains lye -- that's what makes the fat solidify and become capable of lather)
  • Green Body Green Planet Energy Shampoo and Conditioner - These will go in my travel bag, since I dislike using hotel toiletries because they generally contain SLS.  Solid.
  • Soap Nuts - These are a bit odd, but I like the concept.  Basically, they're dried tree berries that naturally contain saponin, so you can toss them in your laundry in lieu of detergent.  I've used them in the past with success.
  • Dr. Robin Sunscreen - This was a single use packet, but I'll keep it in my purse for emergencies.
  • Crystal Lavendar Deoderant Towelettes - These look like they'll also be great to keep on hand for emergencies (i.e. road trips, post race, unexpectedly overnighting somewhere, etc.)  I like that they don't contain some of the more controversial aluminum derivatives.
  • Dagoba Lip Balm in Mint - This reminds me of Thin Mints.  Mmm, Thin Mints.
  • Lauren Brooke Lip Gloss in Freedom - I'm generally not big on lip glosses because I don't like the texture, but this isn't too sticky or slimy.  I thought the bright red would be too much for me, but it's actually a very wearable red, and may inspire a 40s-esque glam face.
  • Mighty Leaf Chocolate Mint Tea Bag - I dig tea, so I used this almost immediately.  It was okay.  I didn't get much of a chocolate flavor from this, but the mint was nice.  I probably wouldn't purchase a full package.
  • Bumper Sticker - This went in the recycling with the box.  I don't really have a use for it.
  • Summary Card with Discount Codes - I really like that most of the brands featured offer discounts on their products.  This is great incentive to not only try the products, but actually buy them.
All in, the box was a great value.  I'm excited about this subscription!

The Oluv and Crystal towelettes are all items GoGo Girlfriend sends out. And I see she's STILL sending tea out. LOL Seems like a signature item since every box I can recall has had tea in it. lol Glad you liked your box, looks like I would have been disappointed.

Originally Posted by onematchfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did anyone get the February box?  Christine did a lovely job with it.  

• Oluv Olive Oil Soap - I like soaps made from just oil, lye and essential oils, so this is a keeper.  (BTW, basically any bar soap that's really soap contains lye -- that's what makes the fat solidify and become capable of lather)
  • Green Body Green Planet Energy Shampoo and Conditioner - These will go in my travel bag, since I dislike using hotel toiletries because they generally contain SLS.  Solid.
  • Soap Nuts - These are a bit odd, but I like the concept.  Basically, they're dried tree berries that naturally contain saponin, so you can toss them in your laundry in lieu of detergent.  I've used them in the past with success.
  • Dr. Robin Sunscreen - This was a single use packet, but I'll keep it in my purse for emergencies.
  • Crystal Lavendar Deoderant Towelettes - These look like they'll also be great to keep on hand for emergencies (i.e. road trips, post race, unexpectedly overnighting somewhere, etc.)  I like that they don't contain some of the more controversial aluminum derivatives.
  • Dagoba Lip Balm in Mint - This reminds me of Thin Mints.  Mmm, Thin Mints.
  • Lauren Brooke Lip Gloss in Freedom - I'm generally not big on lip glosses because I don't like the texture, but this isn't too sticky or slimy.  I thought the bright red would be too much for me, but it's actually a very wearable red, and may inspire a 40s-esque glam face.
  • Mighty Leaf Chocolate Mint Tea Bag - I dig tea, so I used this almost immediately.  It was okay.  I didn't get much of a chocolate flavor from this, but the mint was nice.  I probably wouldn't purchase a full package.
  • Bumper Sticker - This went in the recycling with the box.  I don't really have a use for it.
  • Summary Card with Discount Codes - I really like that most of the brands featured offer discounts on their products.  This is great incentive to not only try the products, but actually buy them.
All in, the box was a great value.  I'm excited about this subscription!

I have been subscribing since fall and have really been enjoying these boxes. I live in a rural area and it can be hard to get my hands on these greener products. No Trader Joes or Whole Foods near us. I enjoy the tea samples so I don't mind those being included every month as I am an avid tea drinker. Kinda getting tired of the lip balms though . Christine did say with the next box ends the lip balms. I like being exposed to green products that I otherwise would not get a chance to try.

I just wanted to weigh in on their March Box, which I just got the other day, as it was mostly beauty-oriented. I'm sure others are posting pics elsewhere on the internet but I'm too tired from work to do that today.

anyway I got:

-Greenbody Revitalize Shampoo and Conditioner (1 oz) These shampoos smell really pretty and I have damaged hair so that's good for me!

-The All Natural Face mineral shadow mini pot samples in Purple sunset and peach ice. These aren't heavily pigmented but they blend and layer really well and I like the sparkle. 

-The All Natural Face black gel eyeliner and brush (vegan), This is really nice, full size, i think, and even though the gel consistency seems strange, the stripe I put on my hand stayed crisp until I washed my hands.

-Lip tint by badger balm in a sheer red. Super cute and flattering shade. Feels good on.

-Pear tree liquid soap. It doesn't smell like pears to me, but it smells very clean and has like no additives or bad stuff in it. Has a similar consistency to the lavender castile soap I've used. Apparently it also works as a face cleanser but ill use this in the shower. (2.5 oz)

Other non beauty stuff, but still mostly health oriented:

-Bella raw vegan chocolate snack bar. looks yummy, haven't tried. (Expires 2013 for those who were curious)

-Pomegranate Gum by vitacare

-recycled materials toothbrush by vitacare

-ayurvedic incense in musk (3 mini sticks)

-lavender embroidered bag (to make a sachet with?)

I was quite pleased with this box, as it was well worth the $15 to me (who hasn't dropped that on an eyeliner?)   ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I feel like the amount of makeup is more than I would get in a birch box (as in, there's four makeup items), I can always use another toothbrush, and the other stuff is neat to try. Maybe they are listening to people's request for more consistency in the type of product offered.

Wow, that's the most beauty products I've ever heard of being in an Eco-Emi box, in past months it was always a lip balm and maybe a mineral eyeshadow. Glad to hear the food items expiration dates are further out. I'm STILL shocked that she sent out items with expired best used by dates. I'd probably be a member still if it weren't for that and the lack of communication on her part.

Yeah, that was really dodgy to send out expired product. They also seem to delete complaints from their fb page, which I don't like either.  

I joined a month ago to give them a try and figure I'll stick it out for a few months and see how I like it. If you're interested in getting the one-off and not taking it further, their Facebook says they'll be selling their leftover March boxes sometime soon. I'm really happy so far. 

Yeah, the expired products is pretty sketchy. Plus there's always a wait list.

Last summer I got one of the bonus boxes. It had a bunch of stuff I don't remember, but also a Salubritas deoderant in orange lavender that I loved. I bought a full size and they also sent me a sample of it. It's made for/by cancer patients and smells so good! I stopped using it because I developed a rash, probably due to my razor, but I wasn't sure as my doctor said it could be the deo. I might start wearing it again though.

I just got my second box as well and so far I've loved everything in both boxes, and definitely feel I've gotten my money's worth, as well as discovered some great brands. In fact, I've had a better experience overall with Eco-emi than Birchbox, though that may be because Eco-Emi services a very specific profile, which I match, while Birchbox is all over the board. I wasn't a subscriber when expired product went out; however, I'd give equal blame to the manufacturer. Presumably she's not stockpiling product for years, and the manufacturers should have QC in place such that product shouldn't ship (even free for inclusion in sample boxes) close to expiration, let alone after. Should she have caught it? Maybe she should have spot-checked each manufcturer's case, but I'm sure she has learned from that mistake. In any case, I'm happy to give her the benefit of the doubt. Generally speaking, most packaged foods past their sell by date are still perfectly safe to eat, but just don't taste as good.

Oh I blamed Sweet Riot (the company of the chocolate that had the expired best used by in the November box). I ranted about it to them and they shrugged it off saying it was still good. That wasn't really the point - it being good or spoiled - but rather they dumped old product on unsuspecting potential customers.

Yeah, that's a bad way to try to acquire new customers. Yikes, in any case, the Bella bar this month looks good!

how do you like that natural hand sanitizer?

Originally Posted by Animekitten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here is the January Eco-Emi box it arrived yesterday.  The only thing ive used so far is the lavander-orange lip balm which i love.  I threw that in my purse rightaway lol.  Its suppose to help endangered species everytime a lip balm is bought and it has an adorable Hawaiian Monk Seal on it.  I already cancelled this subscriptions i just feel there is better ones out there then receiving laundy detergent and tea all the time.

I just got my bag last week and I already see another charge on there for this month! This past month's box was my first and was really awesome! I was pratically overwhelmed by all the goodies and loved that there were so many beauty related items!

Thank you. I have looked at conscious box. I plan to subscribe after our vacation at the end of this month.

I really like the hand sanitizer. I'm a nurse and I took mine to work and my colleagues loved it too. Kinder to our hands than the alcohol sanitizer we use at work.

I just signed up for Eco Emi after I got the email that they are accepting new subscribers a few days ago. I subscribe to Birchbox, too, and so far I love it. I'm hoping to love these natural products as well, and it seems like a great way to try things I'd be nervous about buying first!

Latest posts

Back