Enchiladas

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made these for dinner and decided as I was doing it to take some pics (I was bored!!)

These are so easy and really really yummy! A lot of enchiladas I've had are baked in a sauce but these are just the filling inside and the top and edges of the tortillas go all crispy, which I love.

I can't take full credit for these, they are my tweaked version of the ones from the GI Diet Book. I have tweaked them to make them vegetarian but if you eat meat, I've included the chicken that was in the original recipe at the bottom!!

You will need:

Cooking oil of your choice (I like rapeseed or light olive)

Cheese of your choice (I like curiously strong cheddar)

1 onion

2 peppers (I usually use 1 red, 1 yellow but today I used 1 Red / 1 Green as it was what I had in!)

1 x 400g can of tomatoes

Jalapenos (I use the jar of jalapenos in brine)

1 x 400g can of kidney beans (or mixed beans / other beans of your choice)

6-8 flour tortillas

Ground Cumin

Chilli Powder

Dried Oregano

Salt & Pepper

1. Start by pre-heating your oven to 200°C (gas mark 6 / 390°F). Then slice up your onion & peppers into thin strips and then fry the onions in the oil (with a pinch of salt to help draw out the water) over a medium heat. You don't want to brown them, just get them nice and soft.

2. After a few minutes, add the peppers and cook until they are soft.

3. Then add 2 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of hot chilli powder (according to how hot you like it!) and one 1 tsp of oregano and mix really well.

4. Pour the tomatoes into a seive and drain off the majority of the juice. If they are not chopped tomatoes just get a knife in there and chop em up roughly!

5. Grate a couple of slack handfuls of cheese, I don't measure it but it's about half a pack or around 100g. Chop up a couple of pieces of jalapeno from the jar.

6. Turn off the heat and add half - 2/3 the cheese, the jalapenos, kidney beans and tomato flesh to the pan. Mix well and leave to stand while you get the tortillas ready.

7. Grease a lasagne dish with a bit of oil and put to one side. Lay the tortillas out - try and get a space big enough for all the tortillas and the dish. Divide the mixture between the tortillas - as below ....

ench1.jpg

8. Then just wiggle them about to get the mixture down the middle (but not too near the edges) and fold the sides over/roll up:

ench2.jpg

9. Put join-side down in the dish:

ench3.jpg

ench4.jpg

10. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the foil, scatter the remaining cheese over and bake uncovered for another 5 minutes. The edges will be all crispy - that's my favourite bit.

ench5.jpg

Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche (or sour cream) on top & scoff. Then revel smugly in your domestic godess-ness - in manner of Nigella Lawson!!

This mixture will go easily into 8 tortillas to serve 4 people, but there's only 3 in our house so I make a generous 6!!

OK for those non-veggies:

Replace the Kidney beans with a couple of chicken breasts or some strips of steak. Start by cutting the chicken or steak into strips and mixing with a tbsp of oil and the cumin, chilli powder and oregano. Then fry until cooked and take out of the pan. Then put a teeny bit more oil in the pan and start from step 1 above, omitting the kidney beans if you want to (and obviously you won't need to add the spices).

I also made these with Quorn instead of chicken when I first went veggie but quorn isn't really my cuppa tea!!

Oh! I haven't made enchiladas in ages! I generally just follow the directions on the Old El Paso enchilada sauce, but add a kick using pepper jack cheese
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back