ET's Fall Movie Preview 2005

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The summer's waning and the blockbuster blockade is almost gone. Now, it's time to get down to business with the fall movie season, from the flicks that could click to the films that are already generating Oscar® buzz!

After taking time to spend some quality time in front of the lens (and with the family), <celeb name="REESE WITHERSPOON" year="">REESE WITHERSPOON</celeb> is coming back with two very different performances. First, she stars opposite <celeb name="MARK RUFFALO" year="">MARK RUFFALO</celeb> in the romantic comedy 'Just Like Heaven,' in theaters September 16, as a doctor who passes on into the afterlife -- but doesn't quite realize it. Mark is the single guy who moves into her apartment, only to learn she hasn't left yet. As the pair grapple with the supernatural ramifications of their situation, they begin to fall in love. But will death stand in their way?

Then in November, Reese plays real-life country legend <celeb name="JUNE CARTER" year="">JUNE CARTER</celeb> in 'Walk the Line,' the new <celeb name="JOHNNY CASH" year="">JOHNNY CASH</celeb> biopic. <celeb name="JOAQUIN PHOENIX" year="">JOAQUIN PHOENIX</celeb> steps into the boots of "The Man in Black" as the film chronicles Johnny's rough-and-tumble life, from his early days on the family cotton farm and rise to fame with Sun Records in Memphis to the day he met June, the woman who would become the love of his life.

Another love story of a supernatural sort re-teams 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' co-conspirators <celeb name="TIM BURTON" year="">TIM BURTON</celeb> and <celeb name="JOHNNY DEPP" year="">JOHNNY DEPP</celeb> in their first stop-motion animated venture together. Co-directed by <celeb name="MIKE JOHNSON" year="">MIKE JOHNSON</celeb> (who worked on 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' and 'James and the Giant Peach'), the whimsical tale follows Victor (voiced by Johnny), a young man in a 19th century European village who is whisked away to the underworld to marry the mysterious Corpse Bride (<celeb name="HELENA BONHAM CARTER" year="">HELENA BONHAM CARTER</celeb>) while his real bride (<celeb name="EMILY WATSON" year="">EMILY WATSON</celeb>) waits for him in the land of the living.

In her first big-screen outing since "Sex and the City" set sail, <celeb name="SARAH JESSICA PARKER" year="">SARAH JESSICA PARKER</celeb> joins an all-star cast that includes <celeb name="CLAIRE DANES" year="">CLAIRE DANES</celeb>, <celeb name="DIANE KEATON" year="">DIANE KEATON</celeb>, <celeb name="RACHEL McADAMS" year="">RACHEL McADAMS</celeb>, <celeb name="DERMOT MULRONEY" year="">DERMOT MULRONEY</celeb>, <celeb name="CRAIG T. NELSON" year="">CRAIG T. NELSON</celeb> and <celeb name="LUKE WILSON" year="">LUKE WILSON</celeb> in another romantic comedy, 'The Family Stone,' in theaters November 4. In the movie, Sarah Jessica plays an uptight businesswoman whose boyfriend takes her home for the holidays to propose -- but must endure his family's hostile reception.

On the action front, <celeb name="ANTONIO BANDERAS" year="">ANTONIO BANDERAS</celeb> and <celeb name="CATHERINE ZETA-JONES" year="">CATHERINE ZETA-JONES</celeb> pick up their swords once again to fight evil in 'The Legend of Zorro,' in theaters October 28. "This film holds a lot of meaning to me, both professionally and personally," Catherine tells ET about the movie that catapulted her to stardom. "I actually met my husband [<celeb name="MICHAEL DOUGLAS" year="">MICHAEL DOUGLAS</celeb>] when I was promoting the film in Deauville, France, and it was such an amazing time for me, being completely unknown, really, in America or in Mexico, where I shot the first one. It's a very important film for me and it's very close to my heart."

R&B sensation <celeb name="USHER" year="">USHER</celeb>, six-pack intact, jumps onto the action bandwagon November 23 with the hip, romantic 'Dying for Dolly,' in which he plays a New York DJ who saves a mob boss's life (<celeb name="CHAZZ PALMINTERI" year="">CHAZZ PALMINTERI</celeb>) and is rewarded with the task of protecting the don's beautiful daughter, Dolly (<celeb name="EMMANUELLE CHRIQUI" year="">EMMANUELLE CHRIQUI</celeb>). But complications arise quickly when sparks begin to fly between Dolly and our man Usher.

Look for <celeb name="PIERCE BROSNAN" year="">PIERCE BROSNAN</celeb> as an aging hit man who befriends a regular guy (<celeb name="GREG KINNEAR" year="">GREG KINNEAR</celeb>) in the comic thriller 'The Matador,' in theaters November 4. And the ever unpredictable <celeb name="ROBERT DOWNEY JR." year="">ROBERT DOWNEY JR.</celeb> takes on the detective genre with <celeb name="VAL KILMER" year="">VAL KILMER</celeb> in the twisted new thriller from 'Lethal Weapon' writer and debut director <celeb name="SHANE BLACK" year="">SHANE BLACK</celeb>, 'Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang,' in theaters September 16. "It's similar in tone to films like 'Chinatown,'" Robert tells ET. "There's really that sense of drama with just a touch of lightness along the way."

And rounding out the action is the long-awaited 'Into the Blue,' capping off a busy year for <celeb name="JESSICA ALBA" year="">JESSICA ALBA</celeb> after hitting it big at the box office with 'Sin City' and 'Fantastic Four.' Opening September 30, the movie casts Jessica as the shark-handler girlfriend of Jared (<celeb name="PAUL WALKER" year="">PAUL WALKER</celeb>), a part-time treasure hunter who dreams of striking it rich in the open waters off New Providence. But when a dive unearths a sunken DC3 aircraft carrying a fortune in illegal cargo, the couple and their friends stir up more than they bargained for -- and must fend for their lives!

Watch ET for more previews of this fall's biggest movies!

<!--ARTICLE BODY COPY ENDS-->

"Into the Blue" was supposed to be released earlier in the summer but it got pushed back. I also want to see "the Family Stone". It sounds like my type of flick.

Latest posts

Back