Every mineral foundation seems to break me out.. I need your advice...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you clean your brush once a week? You can clean it with soap and water or whatever you use to clean your face. Then lay it out on a towel to dry.

That is really a must to keep your skin and makeup looking great.

Zinc oxide is actually good for the skin. It is known for its healing properties in problem skin such as rosacea and acne, and has the ability to stay on even while sweating and swimming, as well as offers protection from the sun's harmful UV rays.

Titanium Dioxide also has waterproof and SPF properties while providing a Matte look.

Mica has some transparent properties and allows the makeup to go on smoothly.

Iron Oxides give the makeup its pigment.

As far as I remember Veena Velvet does have mica in it (sericite) so it could still be the mica.

I also haven't found any MMU that doesn't break me out. I have extremely sensitive skin and am 'used' to reactions, so I can classify them from experience. The better MMU brands don't break me out immediately but after a week or two I develop a reaction that is similar to cystic acne, which to me suggests my skin isn't so much allergic to the problematic ingredient(s) but just can't tolerate constant use. I have narrowed the problems down to Titanium Dioxide. So at present I'm on the lookout for a MMU with either no or very little TiDO2 (less than 5%). If I find any I'll let you know
smile.gif

I completely sympathize with what you're saying. I have acne-prone, oily skin and every MMU was breaking me out. I finally figured out that too much Kaolin Clay in any MMU will break out. Therefore, although I love Monave for the amount of coverage it provides, I can't use or I break out with horrible cystic acne. Milan Minerals, initially broke me out, by I counteracted the Kaolin clay with heavily moisturizing my skin before applying the MMU.

Sometimes you have to narrow down what may be in all of the makeup that may be

making you break out.

Miss Willow: I don't believe that there is a MMU in existence that doesn't have Tit. Dioxide. But you may want to try Monave's foundation concealer. I know that the tit. dioxide is very low with that specific foundation. It's mostly zinc oxide.

all the other MMUs i tried broke me out except for OceanMist which i use. This stuff actually helps keep acne away for me. It calms down my easily irritated skin. I'm still using the old formula and i hope it hasn't changed but IMO, there's definitely something in Ocean mist that really soothes cystic acne prone skin.

Originally Posted by sgoofi /img/forum/go_quote.gif Miss Willow: I don't believe that there is a MMU in existence that doesn't have Tit. Dioxide. But you may want to try Monave's foundation concealer. I know that the tit. dioxide is very low with that specific foundation. It's mostly zinc oxide. Thanks, I'll check it out. Like you though I also can't handle much Kaolin (though for me its because my skin is so dry, and the Kaolin just dries it out more).

Do you use any sort of primer before you apply your MMU?

I found that when I used BE's primer before applying, I don't itch or anything.

Hi! :) Try washing your brushes with this, I have found this works very very well! 

Take a paper plate or a bowl. Put dawn dish soap (antibacterial) (I like the green apple scented one), and poor a pile of that onto one half of the plate and then add Extra virgin olive oil to the other side of the plate. 

Dip your brushes in the dawn soap first and wet the brush and start stroking your hand with your brush like you would if you were painting. and then squeeze the brush and rinse it. You may have to repeat this process a few times till the water runs clear from the brush. 

Then dip it in the olive oil, again pretend to paint your hand (as this is to be gentle and not hurt the hairs). after it feels saturated once again wash it with the dawn soap.

Let the brushes dry upside down. I know this is something we need some sort of brush hanging rack or something but you basically want the hairs to be facing the ground but not touching any surface. this is because gravity will pull the water out of the brush with out soaking deeper into the handle of the brush and messing up the glue holding the handle to the hairs. If you have ever had a brush fall apart this could have been the culprit!

I've heard to use a clarifying shampoo as the hair in quality brushes is real hair. I agree with everything else!

Also- I use gloMinerals make up as it has no talc, etc. That is the best foundation ever! I don't even use liquid foundation anymore as the coverage I get from the powder is amazing. I follow it with a few spritzs of hydration mist. 

Originally Posted by Jiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of brush are you using? Often, that's the culprit. Have you tried a soft synthetic one?

I agree with this post! I had a couple kabuki brushes that made me break out in cystic acne on my chin every time I used them (the bristles were just too stiff for my sensitive skin. I bought a larger powder brush with softer bristles and that solved the problem. It could be you are allergic to your makeup, but the brush could also be the culprit.  I use Skinn Cosmetics mineral powder, it has really been the best I have tried. It didn't turn to a strange texture on my skin and I don't have to use that much. But I do top it off with my own dusting powder.

Have you thought of applying individual ingredients to your face to find the culprit?

You can order samples of ingredients from TKBtrading.

I'm suspecting it's the zinc or titanium dioxide since the ones you mentioned don't have bismuth.

That's why we have our NoHoGlo formula...main 2 ingredients are Magnesium Myristate treated Sericite Mica and Boron Nitride. Other ingredients are pigments.

It is definitely the MICA! I cannot use any mineral products or anything containing Mica which sucks because all the good blushes and colors have Mica but as soon as I use it I break out.  I have no breakouts at all now that I am MICA free.  

Latest posts

Back