Everyday Makeup For Special Occasions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why do so many girls stick with their everyday makeup for formal occasions?I was the only one in a group of 5 girls (and plus our dates) who wore my makeup differently from usual (my avatar). And at the dance, many girls kept their faces the same as if it were just school and not a night of partying and fun. I mean we're in dresses, heels, salon curls, we might as well switch up the makeup, you know? I don't mean breaking out the blue smoky eye or the firetruck red lipstick, but maybe put on that nice champagne eyeshadow you haven't touched since Homecoming, or buy a new color of $6 lipgloss for the night.

Originally Posted by AngelWings X /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why do so many girls stick with their everyday makeup for formal occasions?I was the only one in a group of 5 girls (and plus our dates) who wore my makeup differently from usual (my avatar). And at the dance, many girls kept their faces the same as if it were just school and not a night of partying and fun. I mean we're in dresses, heels, salon curls, we might as well switch up the makeup, you know? I don't mean breaking out the blue smoky eye or the firetruck red lipstick, but maybe put on that nice champagne eyeshadow you haven't touched since Homecoming, or buy a new color of $6 lipgloss for the night.
I think a lot of girls don't play around with makeup very much, or maybe can't afford many different shadows and palettes. So they get comfortable with doing their makeup a certain way, that they believe looks best on them. They may be afraid to experiment too, and think that trying a smokey eye or a bright lipstick might make them look like a fool. We care so much what others think at that age (teens and early twenties) that I think it inhibits our creativity sometimes, not just makeup, but clothing styles, hair styles too.

I have to agree with DonnaJ. I mean, unless you experiment, how will you know? Then it's a mad scramble on a wedding or a party and you might just destroy a carefully put together outfit with the wrong make-up! Plus I had a really bad experience on the one occasion wear we're allowed to wear the whole face, my wedding! I had absolutely no control! In my country the standard foundation is beige and I am so not beige, more yellow, and so the standard escapist thing for the make-up artist to do is to go shades lighter, so I have a white face in my entire photo album. She was also a very rude woman who told me, two hours before my wedding, that if I was going to make a fuss I could go somewhere else. With the whole family waiting I didn't have  much of a choice. So I don't plan to allow anyone to do that to me again.

I have a feeling that a lot of people think make-up, even a bit of rouge on the cheeks looks desperate, especially in a conservative crowd. I think they all think it's about other people, when I have to say its about me, I love playing with different shades, is a form of artistry and self-expression. So once in a while to convince myself that it's not about them I go out with none at all, not even lipstick to convince myself that secure I am with my natural face. I think of that part of it as a social experiment ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . People have to understand that it's not all about them.

For special occasions, if I don't want to look too made up I would wear a smokey eye but keep the face and my lips muted. Nude lipstick tones down the look and makes the eye makeup stand out making you look more elegant. I agree that girls who don't wear different makeup on special gatherings may not know how to do it so they go back to the basic which is the natural everyday makeup they know how to do.

Like DonnaJ said, not everyone is into this stuff.  I love cars and working on them; but I know some people they are just appliances, so same deal.  They just got ok at one look at they're fine with that being it for their makeup repertoire.

I try out stuff regularly on weekends, and even nights when plans cancel or I'm bored.  That way it isn't done for the first time when I wear it to work/event.  Makes it more polished and I've had time to see if I like how the look looks on me.  Once I'm happy, it's then one of many looks I'll rock out and about; I usually don't show up to work wearing the same exact look more than once every 2-3 weeks in terms of eye makeup.  Same goes for hair and other primping areas.  Change is fun!

Originally Posted by imonabhaute /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like DonnaJ said, not everyone is into this stuff.  I love cars and working on them; but I know some people they are just appliances, so same deal.  They just got ok at one look at they're fine with that being it for their makeup repertoire.

I try out stuff regularly on weekends, and even nights when plans cancel or I'm bored.  That way it isn't done for the first time when I wear it to work/event.  Makes it more polished and I've had time to see if I like how the look looks on me.  Once I'm happy, it's then one of many looks I'll rock out and about; I usually don't show up to work wearing the same exact look more than once every 2-3 weeks in terms of eye makeup.  Same goes for hair and other primping areas.  Change is fun!
Yeah, I was the same when I was young, trying new looks just for fun, or for something to do when I'm bored. You find out which colors blend well together, or turn into mud. If you're used to peach blush, will a rose or plum blush look good on you? etc. If you don't do this, on a special occasion you might worry that you'll have to clean up a makeup disaster because the new product or new colors didn't look the way you had hoped. It's just easier to go with what you know looks good and works for you already,

Most girls in the group had just started using makeup this or last year. One of my other friends, who wasn't in my group, actually did a pretty good smokey eye.

I think everyone should wear the makeup that they're comfortable with. Some of us are more adventurous and like to experiment with new looks, while others stick with what they know works. There's no right or wrong answer :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Originally Posted by TeresaDouglas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think everyone should wear the makeup that they're comfortable with. Some of us are more adventurous and like to experiment with new looks, while others stick with what they know works. There's no right or wrong answer :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.
This. Some people don't want to experiment, and that's totally fine. Just because I go all out on my makeup when I go out doesn't mean that I expect other people to do the same. 

Makeup is tons of fun for some of us, and so we "play" with it. If it's not your thing, it will just feel like work. I'm obsessed with makeup, but it's fun for me. I don't think I would like it half as much if I wore it because it was expected. I can't imagine waking up early every day to style my hair; some ladies feel that way about makeup.

I think a dance is a fun time for glam.

It's sad to see people stick to their everyday makeup because you know they could do something else, but maybe they don't want to or don't know how to, or just don't care.

I try to sort of update mine (add more eyeliner or darken the outer V), or if i have an event at night, i just go directly for night look, which you have to be comfortable with at day. The only thing i don't change is lipstick, i just wear colored gloss (the juicy tubes by Lancôme), but my eyes are usually so dramatic i prefer to tone down the lips.

Latest posts

Back