Exam Time - How Do You De-stress?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know about y'all but I have exams starting on Monday (and my first law school ones too, ew). My friends and I have made it a point to do things that relax us because these are some of the hardest tests we've taken.

Things we've made a point to do:

• spend a few hours each day just hanging out but NOT talking about school. whether you like it or not your brain is going to need a break, as much as i hate stopping it really does help.
  • keep chocolate and peppermint around - surprisingly this is the one time i'm not craving sweets, but it really helps give my brain a boost.

I also like to listen to piano music so I don't feel alone but also don't have vocals distracting me. (I suppose you could also say I use MuT as an in between distraction :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

What do you guys like to do to help relax during exam time?

I like to read books with some hot tea.

Retail therapy is always a good one. lol

The biggest thing that helps me with stress is to study! If I feel like I've studied enough then the stress is usually lowered.

icon_study.gif

Originally Posted by astokes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like to read books with some hot tea.

Retail therapy is always a good one. lol

The biggest thing that helps me with stress is to study! If I feel like I've studied enough then the stress is usually lowered.

icon_study.gif
I definitely agree with these! I used to be such a huge stress shopper but now that I live in a smaller city my options are substantially lowered. My plan is to spend my last day (today) memorizing important things so hopefully I'll feel more solidified for my exam tomorrow, since its the only one I can't take any notes in to.

Oooh, I feel the pain! I don't have exams any more (my program doesn't do 'em), but I do have a couple of 30 page papers to get in by the end of the semester. So, here's what I've been doing to chill out and relax lately:

-playing video games: I've been turning to Skyrim a lot, because when you're stressed, there's something really satisfying about stabbing things with a sword.

-reading: No, absolutely nothing for school! If I'm reading to relax, it'll be a book or magazine totally unrelated to anything academic.

-Watch some TV.

-hanging out in my pjs all day also is really nice.

-doing work, but hanging out with a friend while you do it. Still productive, but you have someone to talk to, vent with, and you don't feel so alone.

I just watch TV if I start to get bored, which quite honestly is really often.

3 of my 5 finals this semester allow cheat sheets or notes since they're engineering courses and our professors don't expect us to memorise 2394732 formulas (and I refuse to study for exams with cheat sheets), and another is art history, so I really only have to study for my programming final that's tomorrow. I'm just going to skim through the chapters and memorise some coding and I'll be good.

I'm glad my finals are really "relaxing" this semester though, because I've actually spent the past 3 days finishing a 18 page research paper and 40 page formal report for a group presentation and I'm completely burned out.

Originally Posted by norther /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just watch TV if I start to get bored, which quite honestly is really often.

3 of my 5 finals this semester allow cheat sheets or notes since they're engineering courses and our professors don't expect us to memorise 2394732 formulas (and I refuse to study for exams with cheat sheets), and another is art history, so I really only have to study for my programming final that's tomorrow. I'm just going to skim through the chapters and memorise some coding and I'll be good.

I'm glad my finals are really "relaxing" this semester though, because I've actually spent the past 3 days finishing a 18 page research paper and 40 page formal report for a group presentation and I'm completely burned out.
I think I'm finally going to bust open my dad's netflix account for the first time all semester to keep me relaxed tonight!

I couldn't even imagine being in an engineering program, good luck with those finals! I'm glad that the rest of my finals after tomorrow allow cheat sheets of some form. It makes the worry of blanking out on an essay question a lot less burdensome for me.

I have fencing practice 2 - 3 times a week, that helps keep the stress levels down. If I need something else to help, I usually go for a run.

I used to drive to the beach and walk before I start cramming. Before I write any test,I would take a short walk outside to refresh and wake up.

Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I'm finally going to bust open my dad's netflix account for the first time all semester to keep me relaxed tonight!

I couldn't even imagine being in an engineering program, good luck with those finals! I'm glad that the rest of my finals after tomorrow allow cheat sheets of some form. It makes the worry of blanking out on an essay question a lot less burdensome for me.
You should've seen my face when my dad canceled his netflix lol it was pretty much like
frown.gif
plain.gif
devilish.gif

Thanks! Good luck to you on yours as well! Engineering can be pretty insane for sure lol. I'm in 5 lectures and 2 labs right now. This is my most difficult year, my next (and last!) year should be super relaxing because I'll only have to take 7 classes for the entire 2 semesters, when I usually take 12-14.

Ew, essay questions :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I haaaate essay-based exams because I always write so much so fast that it all comes out fragmented, but I also hate that my art history course this semester has multiple choice exams instead. As an engineering student, I survive on partial credit...

Thank you for such an important, serious and very useful topic that reveals a common problem, I am now very actively studying this issue in different planes, preparing to write my own work for the university

I don't know about y'all but I have exams starting on Monday (and my first law school ones too, ew). My friends and I have made it a point to do things that relax us because these are some of the hardest tests we've taken.

Things we've made a point to do:

• spend a few hours each day just hanging out but NOT talking about school. whether you like it or not your brain is going to need a break, as much as i hate stopping it really does help.
  • keep chocolate and peppermint around - surprisingly this is the one time i'm not craving sweets, but it really helps give my brain a boost.

I also like to listen to piano music so I don't feel alone but also don't have vocals distracting me. (I suppose you could also say I use MuT as an in between distraction :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

What do you guys like to do to help relax during exam time?
What a great idea! I like to keep chocolate around as I study too.

Latest posts

Back