Expiration date and Spf?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all!

This is my first post
icon_cheesygrin.gif
. I was just wondering about expiration dates on products with Spf. Does the date only pertain to the Spf or also for other active ingredients in it i.e. lactic acid, etc? I have some lotions I'd like to continue using if possible. Thx!

Originally Posted by Bordeaux Hello all! This is my first post
icon_cheesygrin.gif
. I was just wondering about expiration dates on products with Spf. Does the date only pertain to the Spf or also for other active ingredients in it i.e. lactic acid, etc? I have some lotions I'd like to continue using if possible. Thx!

Congrats on your first post and welcome to MUT.
I can't remember where I got this info from but here are some guidlines in answer to your question:

SPF - usually good for about a year

Biological ingredients (lactic acid, ahas, etc) - usually good for about a year, Origins and Boots Botanicals use a lot of biological ingredients

Chemical ingredients - usually good for about 2 years

The times refer to how long after opening them to when the ingredients are no longer effective.

I always use smell and colour as a general rule of thumb. If isn't the same colour, or doesn't smell the same as it did when you bought it, don't use it
biggrin.gif

Also if you use your fingers to put your skin care on bacteria can build up in the pot, to avoid this scoop moisturiser and stuff like that out with a little scoopy thing you can get in travel kits.

HTH

Hi! I am Monica an aesthetician! Usually cosmetic creams, cleansers etc have a shelf life for 3-5 years...if it is past its expiry date...i would not use it because the active ingredients in it would not work anymore. You're safer buying a new one!

I'm not sure about the expiration dates either but I have used my sunscreen over it's expiration date and it still works...I know because I don't always do a good job applying it and I have burned and tanned in weird shapes
icon_redface.gif
but where I know I've added the sunscreen I'm okay...so I think you are still okay using it but if you aren't convinced just buy a new one...better safe than sorry

Latest posts

Back